Main Differences $2000 PRS vs Gibson?

Sean Michael

I have the opportunity to pick up a PRS CE24 or a 2017 Gibson Classic. I also have a PRS custom SE 24 that I do absolutely love, just not the color so much. Anyway, all biases aside, what are the main differences going to be between these two? I guess the lure for me is that all the guitarists I loved growing up played Gibsons, but only because PRS wasn't big yet :) Anyway, anyone with experience with both would be fantastic.

I hate to be cliche' and say that the "fit and finish" is better on the PRS because that's probably what you would hear from just about anyone, however, it is true.

Don't get me wrong Gibson CAN put out some good guitars but honestly you are way more likely to get a great PRS than a great Gibson. especially a Les Paul model. Trust me. I went through several before I found TWO decent ones; yet I can just about blind order a PRS and know I'm gonna get one that's as close to perfect as it can get.

Tone wise, Gibson is doin it right with the Burstbuckers IMO but you can get a set of those and slap them in just about anything and it will rip. The CE pickups are great though and respond exceptionally to volume control and dynamics. Something I can say the burstbuckers don't do so well.

I would pick the PRS unless you want to take your chances or put some work into the guitar.

Those are both 2 humbucker guitars, other than that they are completely different.
  1. Singlecut vs double
  2. Tune-o-matic/stop vs trem
  3. 24.75 vs 25 scale
  4. 22 frets vs 24
  5. Mahogany set neck vs maple bolt-on (and the PRS is much less likely to have its headstock snap off)
  6. Number of knobs
  7. Presence of pick guard
  8. "Classic" tone capacitor wiring vs standard
  9. Neck carves
  10. Weight-relief vs none
  11. No coil tapping on LP, if I'm correct
  12. Etc, probably missed a ton
It ultimately depends on what feel and sound you want. The CE is likely more of a snappy, modern sound and the LP is aiming to recreate more of a creamy, thicker tone.

I have a reclaimed wood semi-hollow CE24 and it's my favorite guitar I've ever owned. Your mileage may vary.

I hate to be cliche' and say that the "fit and finish" is better on the PRS because that's probably what you would hear from just about anyone, however, it is true.

Don't get me wrong Gibson CAN put out some good guitars but honestly you are way more likely to get a great PRS than a great Gibson. especially a Les Paul model. Trust me. I went through several before I found TWO decent ones; yet I can just about blind order a PRS and know I'm gonna get one that's as close to perfect as it can get.

Tone wise, Gibson is doin it right with the Burstbuckers IMO but you can get a set of those and slap them in just about anything and it will rip. The CE pickups are great though and respond exceptionally to volume control and dynamics. Something I can say the burstbuckers don't do so well.

I would pick the PRS unless you want to take your chances or put some work into the guitar.
What do you think about the CE24 model verse other PRS models? And my custom SE probably came out the box better than any guitar I have ever even tried :)

What do you think about the CE24 model verse other PRS models? And my custom SE probably came out the box better than any guitar I have ever even tried :)

The CE is a GREAT all-around guitar. It is important to note that it's a bolt neck guitar and will be more "superstrat-like" than "Les Paul-like" however thats a gap that can be closed with pickups and some tone adjustment. There is something to be said for the scale length and how that will change the tone ever so slightly. The additional tension gives it more "snap" than a Les Paul.

The closest PRS to a CE would be a Custom 24 which is not an ENTIRELY different animal than a CE aside from the set neck. It does sound different though because of that set neck. You can get just about any tone you want out of a CE. I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

The CE is a GREAT all-around guitar. It is important to note that it's a bolt neck guitar and will be more "superstrat-like" than "Les Paul-like" however thats a gap that can be closed with pickups and some tone adjustment. There is something to be said for the scale length and how that will change the tone ever so slightly. The additional tension gives it more "snap" than a Les Paul.

The closest PRS to a CE would be a Custom 24 which is not an ENTIRELY different animal than a CE aside from the set neck. It does sound different though because of that set neck. You can get just about any tone you want out of a CE. I wouldn't hesitate to get one.
G&R, Motley Crue, all the 80s stuff too?

G&R, Motley Crue, all the 80s stuff too?
Dude if you can't get Mick Mars' tone out of just about any bolt neck guitar you're doin it wrong. Lol

Keep in mind a lot of those guys from the hair band days used super strats. And yes you can get LP-like tones from a super strat type guitar. Especially with distortion. there are lots of good (and terrible) videos on YouTube that show you how to squeeze all kinds of interesting tones out of just about any guitar. Most of the time you can get whatever you want out of whatever you want and then it comes down to just the fundamentals. I.e. the inherent differences between certain guitars like bolt necks vs set necks, scale lengths, and body construction. The CE or something like it will give you a more pleasing all-around playability than a LP which can be great but are often one trick ponies.

I'd shop around for a used Core PRS in that price range; Custom 24 or other models. I'm partial to 22 frets. I bought a 2015 Ted McCarty DC 245 (a great PRS les paul killer) a few months ago for 2k.

I've ordered two Les Pauls sight unseen recently & have been very pleased with them both.

On the Les Paul Classic, you're going to get a fat neck. 50s Les Paul like. It's going to have a set neck, binding on the body & the neck, separate tone & volume pots for each pickup, & a two piece bridge. It's going to be heavier, thicker, & the headstock is prone to breaking.

The PRS Ce24 is going to have more frets, a bolt on neck, a master volume & a master tone, I think you can split the humbuckers with the tone knob. You'll get a tremelo, better upper fret access, a light guitar, locking tuners, & straight string pull through the nut.

I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with the PRS. It's a "modern" guitar. The Gibson is an old design. Unless you're stuck in the 70s, or earlier (like me) you'll probably prefer the PRS.

Kinda like a 1911, or Berreta 92. Old designs that people love, but the Glock or Sig Sauer is a better built piece of machinery.

I'd shop around for a used Core PRS in that price range; Custom 24 or other models. I'm partial to 22 frets. I bought a 2015 Ted McCarty DC 245 (a great PRS les paul killer) a few months ago for 2k.

There's plenty of Core stuff on Reverb under two grand.

We can talk about tone and feel all day, but in the final analysis, none of it amounts to much; instruments speak for themselves.

The perception of an instrument is different for each player. The key is to play one and see.

I played a Les Paul Custom through 2 decades, always wishing that it had a teeny bit more high end. And a teeny bit less bottom. it was off for a refret twice, and I could never get the damn thing to play in tune. It did have big cojones, though. Enter my 2003 CE 24 with 57/08`s. Problem solved. And it weighs 10 lbs just like the LP. Now, all my other solid bodies are gone, it`s all PRS all the time. Each one sounds different, and plays great. (And is less filling)

From my experience, LP and Double cut PRS are just completely different beasts. Before I got the SE C24, I was under the impression that they were similar guitars but they are not. I might have been biased as for a long time the only PRS I ever tried was a McCarty. So you really need to try out a few of each to work out what is feeling right to your hand and ear.

Always wanted to love a Les Paul and its never happened yet
Played Strats forever but something was missing for me
Found PRS -- 25" scale , Quality , etc etc etc thats all I have and want !!!!

Go for tone and playability everytime. Try both and see where the land lies. Take it from somone who played the G brand for 25 years then discovered PRS, having ditched my preconceptions and misconceptions. Also consider used to get maximum bang for buck..............

I say choose based on the tone and feel you want - that being said, if the CE ain't your thing, there are plenty of other PRS models that sound and feel different!

Late to the party again...

Just note that the Classic has the Slim Taper neck and not the 50s rounded profile. The rounded profile is very close to a WF - I can't recall how the slim taper compares to the WT of the CE.

Also, the pickups in the Classic are 57 (neck) and 57+ (bridge). They tend to be aggressive pickups in that there is always some kind of raspiness to them - can't really articulate it better, unfortunately. I own a SG Deluxe with 3 57 pickups - it is the meanest sounding guitar I own which is great for AC/DC. That type of character is still present with Def Leppard as well, and that is where I prefer any of my PRS guitars over the SG. In my case, it is nice having the option of going with whichever guitar I like more for a certain sound.

My Bernie with BKP Mules was the only guitar that covered these bases exceptionally well and pickup upgrades are cheap when compared to buying a whole new guitar. Also, tone can be changed a lot by playing around with the amp settings, volume and tone of the guitar and the coil split.

Back