\m/ PRS Artist Marty Friedman is BACK \m/

themike

Marty has been living in Japan for a while doing his own thing, but now he's back stateside for a little putting out his new solo record. Sounds like some of his heaviest stuff to date!

Pretty fast playin' on a Singlecut, aye?

Marty-PRS-Budokan-photo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you ever listen to Cacophonywith him and Jason Becker? UNREAL.

Yeah, I had that (was there more than one?) and his solo record "Dragons Kiss" or something like that... didn't do the same thing for me.

I can't get down with his whole schtick of bending up to the "right" note from a "wrong" one, which seems to be a huge part of his style... But Damn! His leads on RIP are easily the greatest lead guitar bits of the entire 80'-90's thrash scene. Killer player.

Awesome! One of my favorite players for sure.

Also, that pic reminds me of the fact that I wanted to get an adjustable bridge for my SC...:D

Awesome! One of my favorite players for sure.

Also, that pic reminds me of the fact that I wanted to get an adjustable bridge for my SC...:D

You're the second person to mention that to me in 24 hours, thats really funny hahah

Hi guys...

Help me out here.

I noticed the topic and I thought "that shred guy from the 80's?" But it got me thinking now is a good time to ask.

I recall when I started playing guitar in the mid-80's, I'd buy "Guitar For The Practicing Musician" magazine.

I totally recall seeing ads for Cacophony (him and Jason Becker) but I recall my reaction was "totally cheese"...

The LP cover looked cheap, and the ad looked cheap...and it just left me feeling like it was just all about speed but no feel.

So ultimately, I never gave it a chance. At that time, the hardest I got was learning Iron Maiden & Judas Priest (which, by today's standards, could be very tame metal/hard rock LOL)....

The years went by, and my tastes changed....and I never did give Freidman a try.

Am I missing something??

Perhaps I could get some suggestions on what music of his I could try....

I never got into Malmsteen and that whole Euro-classical type of playing...soooo, would Freidman turn me off or am I missing something?

You're never too old to discover something new, right?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks...

Tony

I never got into Malmsteen and that whole Euro-classical type of playing.

I completely agree, his playing always struck me as what a soulless robot would play like. That and he was often in the news in south Florida for mistreating his girlfriend and various other loser actions. I recently saw him on a G3 video and like him or hate him, the man can play! I however remain firmly in the latter camp. ;)

This is exciting news, for sure! So stoked.

Hi guys...

Help me out here.

I noticed the topic and I thought "that shred guy from the 80's?" But it got me thinking now is a good time to ask.

I recall when I started playing guitar in the mid-80's, I'd buy "Guitar For The Practicing Musician" magazine.

I totally recall seeing ads for Cacophony (him and Jason Becker) but I recall my reaction was "totally cheese"...

The LP cover looked cheap, and the ad looked cheap...and it just left me feeling like it was just all about speed but no feel.

So ultimately, I never gave it a chance. At that time, the hardest I got was learning Iron Maiden & Judas Priest (which, by today's standards, could be very tame metal/hard rock LOL)....

The years went by, and my tastes changed....and I never did give Freidman a try.

Am I missing something??

Perhaps I could get some suggestions on what music of his I could try....

I never got into Malmsteen and that whole Euro-classical type of playing...soooo, would Freidman turn me off or am I missing something?

You're never too old to discover something new, right?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks...

Tony

Everyone should own a copy of Rust in Peace, by far the best Megadeth album and imho one of the best albums ever.

Yes. I remember hanging out with Coop listening to this album way back when.

If you both click on it at some point today... it'll be like reliving the past. (Damn! Marty kills it!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back