Lots of PRSi spotted at Daytona Country 500 2017

shinksma

What? I get a title?
I spent the weekend camping at the Daytona 500 speedway for the Country 500 music festival. (It is interesting to see how wide a genre "country" has become...)

I would say 90% of the acts we saw had at least one guitar player with a PRS guitar for at least a few songs, and several acts where the guitarist(s) played a PRS most of the set.

Of course telecasters were by far the most-seen electric instruments, followed by a mix of strats and Gibby LP-types. Lots of acoustics, naturally - mostly Martins and Taylors, AFAICT.

Also of note: it was obvious to me that many of the hired-gun guitarists in these bands have a rock'n'roll background (including a lot of 80s hair-band rock/metal) - it showed in their playing style, and most of the time a rock song would be played at some point during their set.

The guitarist for The Swon Brothers, who goes by the moniker Blaze, did a good rendition of guitar and vocal for a shortened version of Crazy Train, for example.

Keith Urban was possibly one of the best guitarists all weekend - he wasn't the absolute best technically (but pretty darned good!), but he had a great feel all night long and took long interesting solo breaks - hey, it is his band, so he can do what he wants! He's also great with the crowd and individual fans.

Jake Owen played a seamfoam green JA-15 (or similar) PRS. His guitarist Lukas Bracewell is one of the PRS Artists you can find on the PRS Artists page. Lots of colorful S2s featured!

I may go on adding to this thread describing some of the other artists as I browse my mobile phone photos and remember stuff.

Back