Lots of new parts... but no guitar to work on!

If you had someone else do it, do you have any idea how much they would charge you for just the labor?

No idea...
A number of years ago, I bought an Ibanez Premium. I didn't like the tremolo on it, so I had a local guy swap it out for a Floyd (ended-up hating that too).
I suspect it took him about four hours, as it required a bit of routing, and he charged me $450.00

Based on that; I would estimate that around 100 bucks an hour, times 4 hours to do the work I'm proposing... probably 400 - 500 bucks in labor.

It was the above scenario (paying $450 to still not be satisfied) that annoyed me, to the point where I went online and started learning everything I could about rebuilding guitars.

Since then, I've modified every guitar I've bought... It's much less intimidating, once you've done a couple.
I would also caveat this, by saying; I have an electrical background... so that helps.

Last edited:
I was just going to ask how you planned to do it. Play it for a while, then do mods one or two at a time to see the changes, or just tear it down and rebuild as soon as you get it.

Should be really nice. Enjoy!

No idea...
A number of years ago, I bought an Ibanez Premium. I didn't like the tremolo on it, so I had a local guy swap it out for a Floyd (ended-up hating that too).
I suspect it took him about four hours, as it required a bit of routing, and he charged me $450.00

Based on that; I would estimate that around 100 bucks an hour, times 4 hours to do the work I'm proposing... probably 400 - 500 bucks in labor.

It was the above scenario (paying $450 to still not be satisfied) that annoyed me, to the point where I went online and started learning everything I could about rebuilding guitars.

Since then, I've modified every guitar I've bought... It's much less intimidating, once you've done a couple.
I would also caveat this, by saying; I have an electrical background... so that helps.
Thanks - just trying to figure out if it makes sense for someone like me (I barely know a wrench from a screwdriver & have zero electrical background) to do what you did with the exception that I would have someone else do all the labor

Thanks - just trying to figure out if it makes sense for someone like me (I barely know a wrench from a screwdriver & have zero electrical background) to do what you did with the exception that I would have someone else do all the labor

If you live in Canada, I could help... I actually enjoy doing this kind of thing in my spare time (of which I have little).

I am happy for you ! Very cool project indeed.

I got parts coming for a project I've been sitting on for quite a while.

Torero is getting ALL USA wiring. Just not sure which pickups to put in it.
T and B reissues
Dragon 1s
Hfs/VB
5708s
5909s
5310s

I have all of these pickups in my drawer plus 8515s that won't work with 5 way.

You COULD do all the parts removal yourself and pay somebody to put it back together. Save some labor costs that way and you get to really see what your guitar is made of.

I am happy for you ! Very cool project indeed.

I got parts coming for a project I've been sitting on for quite a while.

Torero is getting ALL USA wiring. Just not sure which pickups to put in it.
T and B reissues
Dragon 1s
Hfs/VB
5708s
5909s
5310s

I have all of these pickups in my drawer plus 8515s that won't work with 5 way.

I’d probably go with the D I’s.

I’ve been scoping out a few white torero’s for nothing more than looks.

I wish I did.

I’m presently using them in old socks for home protection.

“Don’t call 911 folks, next time your house is burglarised, call Sergio-Pro”!

There’s so many you tube instruction videos out there, you could have a go at a simple mod to begin with, to get some confidence and go on from there.

Happy modding!:eek:

Fffaaaaa.... Just got an email from the Guitar Shop.
The Tremonti SE that I ordered was damaged in shipping.
The replacement, won't arrive until late February!

Can’t bring myself to like your post, because it’s like I’m mocking you!

I can’t find any words to quell your pain!!

At least 7 minutes and 18 seconds of pain will subside watching this song and it’s aptly named “Pretending”!!

At least 7 minutes and 18 seconds of pain will subside watching this song and it’s aptly named “Pretending”!!

I feel like I should be offended by this... but I don't fully understand what you're saying here.

I feel like I should be offended by this... but I don't fully understand what you're saying here.
No offence meant!

The track is cool and was supposed to take your attention away from the wait for your new guitar, if only for a short while.

Ironically the track is titled Pretending, which is what I would be doing if I was waiting, pretending I didn’t care, even though I did.

Hopefully your new Tremonti arrives soon and you can get to work and enjoy her.

Hmmm....70th birthday for Clapton was 2 years ago. I don't think I've seen anything with Mayer playing a NF loaded guitar. I might be wrong about that.

Back