Lots of new parts... but no guitar to work on!

JimmyDee

About a month ago, I had demo'd a PRS Tremonti Signature. It was friggen fabulous!

Of course, I couldn't convince my wife that I needed to blow thousands on another new guitar, given the fact that I just bought a CE 24 only a few weeks prior...
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/2000nos-upgrade-and-a-few-other-mods.28321/

So, I went back and tried a Tremonti SE (thinking I could hide the credit card expense a bit easier).
I have to admit, it was also very nice... but I still longed for that core Tremonti. It was just... well... better.

They didn't have an SE in the color I wanted, so I ordered a 2018 Tremonti SE.
I also ordered a pile of parts, to basically upgrade the SE to a US Tremonti.
I realize it will never be a full-blown US model... but it'll be pretty damn close!

I've got all the parts sitting here... now I'm just waiting for the guitar to arrive.
I hate waiting...

EtUAIrV.jpg

Here's the parts I've got (basically gutting the entire guitar):
  • MannMade / PRS Stage II Locking Tuners (designed to fit SE model)
  • MannMade 2000NOS Tremolo Bridge
  • PRS Tremonti Chrome Bass Pickup
  • PRS Tremonti Treble Pickup
  • PRS Black Pickup Rings
  • PRS Core Nut
  • PRS Strap Buttons
  • PRS Lampshade Knobs
  • CTS Potentiometers (PRS spec)
  • Orange Drop Capacitors
  • Switchcraft 3-way Switch
  • Switchcraft Output Jack
  • Wiring Harness
  • I've also got a Black TUSQ Nut, which I suspect will fit the SE better... might end-up installing that.
As mentioned, I am fully aware that this is an SE, and it will not be a Core US Made Tremonti... but it shouldn't be too far off.
Every single part (less the wood) is being swapped for US parts.

The cost of the SE Tremonti and all the parts to redo it, was about half the cost of what a US Tremonti would be...

Now, I'm just waiting for this to arrive:
VT65iTa.png

I'll be having a Fire Sale on leftover (brand new) PRS SE parts. Basically everything listed above, except the SE version.
Plus, I also have another Korean PRS bridge, and cream PUP rings, that I pulled out of my CE24.
I'd be willing to put the whole lot in a box, and sell it all for a decent price.
If anyone is interested, PM me. Make an offer.

Last edited:
Daaamn bro, you don't fool around. I like your style.

I had a Tremonti SE Standard with USA Tremonti pickups and it was a killer. Your project bodes well.

This is actually really cool. If you get a core eventually you could find out if the wood/details make any difference in tone.

Well now, that's what I call commitment! Your level of stealth and creativity applied to mission is very impressive. Kudos bro!
I have to hide any new gear I aquire as if it were a dead hooker...so I feel your pain....is your wife a redhead by chance???

If you get a core eventually you could find out if the wood/details make any difference in tone.

This is a double-edge sword...
My plan is; to modify the SE, and then go back to the store, to compare its sound against the sound of a Signature Tremonti.
My dilemma is; if I still feel the Core Tremonti is significantly better, then I'm going to be annoyed... and will be scheming ways to get one.

As mentioned above; I played the SE Tremonti (it was an older version), and it sounded great... but it didn't have the same heavy growl as the Core Model.
The feel and finish of the SE Tremonti seemed to be as good as the Core Model, but it sounded different... so that's what got me thinking about just rebuilding it.

The Core Tremonti has a 'wicked heavy' sound to it. My goal with this project, is to try to is to recapture that sound with the modified SE.
The newer Tremonti SE has a thicker body, than the older version. It's the same wood and dimensions as the Core Model.
I'm hoping this will give me the sound I'm looking for.

Last edited:
A lot of the “wicked heavy” is that bridge pickup. When you get the USA pickup set in there I think you’ll be in sonic bliss. It’s one of my fav pickups.

Here's the parts I've got (basically gutting the entire guitar):
  • MannMade / PRS Stage II Locking Tuners (designed to fit SE model)
  • MannMade 2000NOS Tremolo Bridge
  • PRS Tremonti Chrome Bass Pickup
  • PRS Tremonti Treble Pickup
  • PRS Black Pickup Rings
  • PRS Core Nut
  • PRS Strap Buttons
  • PRS Lampshade Knobs
  • CTS Potentiometers (PRS spec)
  • Orange Drop Capacitors
  • Switchcraft 3-way Switch
  • Switchcraft Output Jack
  • Wiring Harness
  • I've also got a Black TUSQ Nut, which I suspect will fit the SE better... might end-up installing that.
As mentioned, I am fully aware that this is an SE, and it will not be a Core US Made Tremonti... but it shouldn't be too far off.
Every single part (less the wood) is being swapped for US parts.

The cost of the SE Tremonti and all the parts to redo it, was about half the cost of what a US Tremonti would be...

Now, I'm just waiting for this to arrive:
VT65iTa.png
You obviously know your way around the guitar. Are you going to do the installation yourself? If yes, how many hours do you think it will take?

You obviously know your way around the guitar. Are you going to do the installation yourself? If yes, how many hours do you think it will take?

Oh ya... I'm doing it myself.
I reckon it'll take about 3 hours to do the full teardown and rebuild.
Then another hour to do the bridge adjustments (saddle height and intonation) as well as tuning.
Basically, half a day.

Oh ya... I'm doing it myself.
I reckon it'll take about 3 hours to do the full teardown and rebuild.
Then another hour to do the bridge adjustments (saddle height and intonation) as well as tuning.
Basically, half a day.
Thanks for the feedback. If you had someone else do it, do you have any idea how much they would charge you for just the labor?

Back