Loose wire on 594 - what should it be connected to?

andypiggins

3gnst8GY4N8T6O2Z2
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3gnst8GY4N8T6O2Z2

After only working intermittently for a while, my neck pickup stopped working completely last week. On opening the cover, it was obvious why. I've looked at the published schematics and I can't figure out where the wire should be soldered to. I'm in the UK and not particularly close by to any PRS dealers, so I'm hoping that you'll be able to give me some guidance that I can follow.

Hi. Thanks Jim. I've managed to fix the problem by clamping the loose wire to the neck tone pot using the first thin nut that's screwed onto the shaft. Whether that's how it should be connected, I don't know - that detail is missing from the schematic...

That's good trouble shooting, but not where it should be connected. It proves that the wire is a ground for the neck pup circuit. You need to solder it back to the right place on the tone pot. The schematic has it soldered to the case of the tone pot. Look at the bridge pup ground wire to see where they soldered it on the bridge tone pot and then look at the neck pot and see if you can detect where the soldering job was done. Then just solder it back on that spot.

The loose end should be soldered to the casing of the bridge volume pot.

It is the ground wire connecting the two volumes. There are similar wires connecting from each tone to each volume. These wires are represented as plain black lines on the wiring diagram.

Here's a picture mine for reference:

P2eKqfb.jpg

Thanks everyone! I can't find my soldering iron, so I'll sort this out properly at some point.

@garrett - It's interesting to see the differences in how the components have been wired up - I'd expected it to be a standardised process.

Thanks everyone! I can't find my soldering iron, so I'll sort this out properly at some point.

@garrett - It's interesting to see the differences in how the components have been wired up - I'd expected it to be a standardised process.

They're essentially the same (all the same connections are made), but they sure do look like they were wired by two different people.

Back