Looking to replace tubes in my Archon 25W Combo.

Omega139

Hey guys,

I was looking to get some new tubes for my PRS Archon 25W combo. Apparently it comes with stock JJ 12AX7's and 5881's. I was wondering if anyone could recommend some better tubes for this amp.

My bottom end sounds nice and tight, but my mids and highs are a bit smooth, rolled off, and creamy. I wanted a little more clarity.

How would say, replacing the JJ Preamp tubes with all or any quantity of Tung Sol's? I was also considering getting High gain JJ 12AX7's.

Any help will be very much appreciated!

Last edited:
When I asked about my Custom 50, they said they used EH tubes. EH or other Chinese tubes should have more top end then JJs. A Tung Sol is a nice V1 in most amps I've tried it in.

Nice. I'm thinking of getting a Tung Sol for V1, and a sovtek for the inverter. Maybe JJ 12AX7's for the rest, or Ruby 12ax7ax5hg+'s

Chinese will definitely have a more aggressive top-end. You can also turn up your presence and turn bass and depth down. Note that if your bass is up, treble becomes limited. If you turn bass down, your treble actually goes up, even without touching that knob.

I'm thinking of getting a Tung Sol for V1, and a sovtek for the inverter. Maybe JJ 12AX7's for the rest, or Ruby 12ax7ax5hg+'s

Tung Sol V1 is a solid choice, although I haven't tried it in this amp yet, but most others it's good. Specifically the Sovtek LPS is a VERY popular PI tube, so if that's the one you were talking, another great choice.

Chinese will definitely have a more aggressive top-end.

Yes, I'd try some Ruby's in the other positions. When I start from scratch on the 50, I'll probably email Doug first and see what he thinks, but for now, I'd go Rubys, plus LPS for PI plus a Tung Sol to roll in V1 with the Ruby. And of course, the speakers and tone you're after are every bit as important in determining which tubes work best for you.

Back