No flame(cap) - just vertical grain
No solid colors
Custom, McCarty, or Standard body shape
Top binding
No mini toggles
No pickguard
Wide/thin-pattern neck

This describes my SE 24 Standard.
If these same feature were available above the SE line, I'm interested. But it seems my current SE 24 Standard is the only guitar with all these features. Correct?

Minus the binding, you have just described the Standard 24, which they made in Maryland for 20-something years starting at the very beginning.
Yes...it's the same as my SE, in the S2 line. It also has the pickguard over half of the top, I'm not fond of. It also appears sunburst is the only option outside of solid colors.
Thanks. I'm sure a custom order could be arranged...
I'll have "my people" talk to their people!

Yes...it's the same as my SE, in the S2 line. It also has the pickguard over half of the top, I'm not fond of. It also appears sunburst is the only option outside of solid colors.
Thanks. I'm sure a custom order could be arranged...
I'll have "my people" talk to their people!

No, that’s the S2. The core standards are exactly what you are looking for. No binding because….well no maple top.

W5vCvRi.jpg

PlfytLI.jpg

03VuLei.jpeg

No, that’s the S2. The core standards are exactly what you are looking for. No binding because….well no maple top.

W5vCvRi.jpg

PlfytLI.jpg

03VuLei.jpeg

Yup, it's literally the original "PRS Guitar" as it was known in 1985. A couple years later, they dubbed it "Standard" and then when the 22-fretters came out, the "Standard 24" until they finally killed it.

I just saw one on FB Marketplace. Has aftermarket SD pickups, but I'm sure you could get a set of old PRS pups.

Yes...the original Standard ARE the best PRS guitar, imo. But I'm saying that without ever playing one in my own studio. The Custom 24 with a mild flame is right there, except the mini toggles are my main dislike..and spending that much on a guitar, you can't just remove mini toggles...unless I put LED lights in there or something!

The blue guitar that Mr Bowtie has, is a gem...the satin walnut looking finish...,not as much to me.....and it's only 22 frets....but the high gloss blue...phew. I'd take a little grain peeking thru..and that's about it.

I'm going to have to dump some Ovations and the like and get an older Core Standard. I wish they would bring them back, but then probably twice the price as those used ones.

For now... My SE24 Standard is filling the bill...and I actually like the looks of it better than the Core above... the binding and just the "flatter" edges. The core above looks like a spaceship..in a good way. But I could use a little "traditional" in it. And I'm in love with the birds.

Back