Looking for PRS to add Stop Tails to 24 fret guitars

Should PRS add a permanent option of a stoptail bridge on all 24 fret models?

• Total voters
I have never "whammied" & would like to see PRS make 24 fret guitars with a stop tail.
I have a few Trem equipped ones and I still don't use the bar. I keep saying I'll learn how to use it when I get ready. Guess I'm just not ready. I still like the trem as I like the feel while palm muting.

I would love a stop tail (or hard tail style option like on the Holcomb).
While I don't find anything lacking tone wise in PRS' s vibrato equipped guitars, I do prefer the extra warmth and girth the stop tail seems to provide. That and I never use a vibrato.

For me, it's down to this:
- I don't ever use a whammy
- I don't like what whammies do to my double stop bends
- I don't like what whammies do to my tuning "sessions" (yes, they ARE stable as far as tremolos go - but all that tune-retune-retune of each individual string in turn is a hassle.)
- I much prefer the feel of a stoptail (i.e. when resting the hand on the bridge).
Stoptails also look cooler :D

Thank you all for the feedback. I'd like to keep this going. I agree, he feel of a stop tail versus a trem is superior, the tone is better, and tuning is so much easier.

To clarify, when I say permanent option, I mean PRS will give you the choice between having your guitar with a trem or having it built with a stoptail. It would be like choosing between a mahogany neck or rosewood, or artist package or no artist package. The player should be able to choose.

This definitely hits to the heart of the matter as I join the chorus for a stoptail option on 24-fretters. I love the double octave plus whatever else you can bend up that high, not that I ever GET that high, :). But, I want that option on the newer models so that I don't have to go looking for one of those hard-to-find older models that had it. Must be a good reason why those owners don't want to part with the ones they have, right? Take heed here, PRS! We definitely have a consensus here. :)

In this thread, I learned that the new S2 Miras are 22 fret guitars...

I swear they'll have to pry my 08 Mira from my cold dead hands!

I don't like or use trems, any guitars I have that have them have been hardtailed by me.

I agree, he feel of a stop tail versus a trem is superior, the tone is better, and tuning is so much easier.

Oysters and snails, Steve...it's not a question of "better". Just a question of "different" and one's preferences.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat oysters?

Antoninus: When I have them, master.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you eat snails?

Antoninus: No, master.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Do you consider the eating of oysters to be moral and the eating of snails to be immoral?

Antoninus: No, master.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: Of course not. It is all a matter of taste, isn't it?

Antoninus: Yes, master.

Marcus Licinius Crassus: And taste is not the same as appetite, and therefore not a question of morals.

I'd go so far as to say the feel of a stop tail is different, and the tone is different...but not better.

I like stop tails. And I like trem-equipped guitars. A trem equipped guitar tends to have a slightly softer feel, especially on bends, and there's a resonance caused by the springs and trem cavity that's pretty nice if you have the...uh...taste for it. ;)

I'd go so far as to say the feel of a stop tail is different, and the tone is different...but not better.

I like stop tails. And I like trem-equipped guitars. A trem equipped guitar tends to have a slightly softer feel, especially on bends, and there's a resonance caused by the springs and trem cavity that's pretty nice if you have the...uh...taste for it. ;)

Ditto. Horses for courses. I sometimes don't like the hassle of a floating trem, but the things you can do with one are way fun.

I like the resonance of a trem guitar. I enjoy how it rings out every time you make a noise.

Ok ok here is a test. 90% of you whammy in your man cave 10% whistle. What song does the 10% whistle?

Get a used P24 with the piezo adjustable stoptail. They are almost always on ebay. I also agree with those who claim the stoptails sound different than the trems. Different, yes. Better? Thats a subjective opinion based on preference. Both sound great to me. I just never use a whammy bar so I don't have them on my guitars. If used to their full potential, they are very musical. I think Steve Vai is the master trem player.

Back