Looking for Advice on Buying my 1st PRS

I've been buying guitars like that for decades now - that's how I ended up with 64 of them. I just want one PRS (for now) :D
Understood, I say that every time I attend my PRSA meeting.

I would look hard at the 594, McCarty or hardtail P22 for fixed bridge guitars, which I LOVE. If you need a trem, the CU24/22 is the flagship. DGT is also incredible if you don't mind 2 VOL knobs. DGT pickups are hotter than hell. 58/15 less so, but have wonderful versatility and tone. Enjoy your search.

This was me a few weeks ago (actually the day before Thanksgiving). I wanted a PRS and knew nothing about them. After a quick Craigslist search I bought a mint 2005 Custom 24 10 top from the original owner. I love this guitar and after doing some after the fact research........ I totally lucked out. Looks like I picked the best model for me and got a good deal from an honest seller. The whole deal from idea to ownership took less than an hour. lol

I guess the advice would be to play one and go with the force.... dont overthink it.

Last edited:
To trem, or not to trem......that is the question.....whether it is more noble to plant your hand on the stop tailpiece, or rock the whammy.....To me this is the biggest decision to be made. I started with a 24 fret Mira which is now up for sale on the bay. I have been struck with whammy madness for the last 2 years, so that has perverted my PRS buying. /1 of each would be best.
The great thing about having a trem is that it can always be locked off or a wedge put in the cavity. Hey presto, stop tail.

You have the best of both worlds!

I too am in the same position as @RevDavidLee I stand on the sidelines, wondering which way to jump.

I’m very taken with a semi-hollow, but also the lure of a CU24 is also a strong consideration. So much PRS goodness out there.

I’m based in UK and there seems to be a good turnover of second hand instruments online.

It’s taking the plunge!

Happy hunting:)

I've been playing for decades & have a very healthy brothel of guitars. What I don't have (yet) is a PRS guitar. When they first came out I tried a couple & was not impressed. Please don't ask what models I tried because it's been too many years ago & I have no idea which ones I tried. I'm looking for a moderately priced entry into the world of Paul Reed Smith. Thrill me - looking for suggestions. Thanks folks!:)

I too am in the same position as @RevDavidLee I stand on the sidelines, wondering which way to jump.

I’m very taken with a semi-hollow, but also the lure of a CU24 is also a strong consideration. So much PRS goodness out there.

I’m based in UK and there seems to be a good turnover of second hand instruments online.

It’s taking the plunge!

Happy hunting:)

Just take the plunge...it doesn't matter what you get. It won't be the first PRSi you get, so don't sweat too much over which one you get first.;)

You really can't go wrong with a CU24 to start with. I too was shopping for my first PRS at the beginning of this year and being a Les Paul guy I was thinking of going with a McCarty.

I ended up throwing caution to the wind and getting out of my comfort zone by going with a reclamied CE24. Turns out I loved it so much I wound up with a CU24 a few months later as well.

You really can't go wrong with a CU24 to start with. I too was shopping for my first PRS at the beginning of this year and being a Les Paul guy I was thinking of going with a McCarty.

I ended up throwing caution to the wind and getting out of my comfort zone by going with a reclamied CE24. Turns out I loved it so much I wound up with a CU24 a few months later as well.
I really loved the promo that PRSh did for the reclaimed series.

Those babies sounded really resonant on the video. I take they are? (Sobs uncontrollably!)

These are all great places to look. But I wouldn't go looking to buy a PRS. By all means play a bunch of them. But don't just buy one because they are pretty or because we like them. If one winds up in your hands and you can't put it down. Then maybe buy.

I played PRS guitars in the store for decades. Never found one I wanted to keep. Years after I gave up on them, I picked one up in a trade that I intended to flip. Started playing it, and it turned out to be the one I couldn't put down. I've had a few since, and some I flipped. It's 113% subjective. The right guitar sort of has to fall in your lap.

So get your lap out there and see what falls in...

I second the advice to first determine if you want a trem or a stoptail. The trem is one of the best out there, if you like trems, the stoptail retains more low end resonance (IMO) and sounds fuller - not a massive difference, but it's there. Then look at what kind of neck wood you want, number of frets. And, above all, try as many as you can, if you can!

I really loved the promo that PRSh did for the reclaimed series.

Those babies sounded really resonant on the video. I take they are? (Sobs uncontrollably!)

The RLCE24 has become my favorite couch guitar because it sounds so good unplugged. I also picked up a reclaimed Vela that will hopefully be making it's way back to me soon and that may be the most resonant electric I've ever heard.

They most assuredly are!

Fixed that for you. Well, made it applicable to me, at least. Where ya at, buddy? There may be some friends near you that you don't know you have!
I’m in Scotland, I’ve already identified a forum member near me. At the moment we have a gentleman’s agreement to stay away from one another to prevent any “life threatening purchases”:eek::D

Back