Let's talk about Beer, man!

I have a ton for respect for what Sam Calagione has done with Dogfish Head, but many of their beers are just too unconventional for me.
Some are downright looney. But you never know what people will like given a chance.
I almost always have some at home and I always enjoy a couple of the brewery only offerings. Enough that I don’t mind shaking my head at something in my flight.

A local selection from Taxman Brewery, their Deduction is a Belgian dubbel ale that I enjoy regularly. If I have two, I have to rush home before it hits. Can’t be driving after slamming 8% beer.

Last edited:
I just finished a Troegenator thanks to Tosca...

I just finished two Impending Dooms thanks to Tosca...

Is it wrong to move close to Tosca so I can visit Troegs more often?

Moving closer because of Tosca’s guitars is much more rational.

The Troegenator is damn near perfect. Plenty of flavor without being overly boozy.

I’ve proudly now expanded my enabling...from just guitars...to guitars and beer!!!

I like many beers, But I love some domestics just because it seems everyone dislikes them. I'm a Budweiser guy at heart, but will stoop to Pabst too. I am lucky to work for guys that love more obscure and great beers. Chimay is one of my favorites, Celebrator is another, pretty much any Schwarz beer is good for me. I used to get Kostrizer dark, but it's no longer sold here, so I've turned to Das Schwarz as a fine alternative.

I can do Guiness, Bass, etc. when in polite company. At home I revert to simple domestics. I'm not much for the Mexican beers except Pacifico which has a bit of a jasmine back which I like.

Stout isn't usually my go-to beer of choice during the summer months, but this was on the menu and I ordered it. It's surprisingly light and very drinkable. Plus, it has an awesomely naughty name and each purchase helps restore the oyster population in the Chesapeake Bay. Flying Dog - Oyster Stout.

pearl.jpg

You know, if it said "with shrimp" or "with lobster" I might be more interested. Not an oyster fan. Can you smell or taste the oysters?

Stout isn't usually my go-to beer of choice during the summer months, but this was on the menu and I ordered it. It's surprisingly light and very drinkable. Plus, it has an awesomely naughty name and each purchase helps restore the oyster population in the Chesapeake Bay. Flying Dog - Oyster Stout.

View attachment 6651

I was honestly shocked when I learned what that phrase/saying/name actually meant. I've lived a sheltered life.

Bodia recently made a trip to the PRS factory and he was kind enough to bring me some beer, cigars and other goodies (Hell of a guy!). One of the beers he brought was Two Brothers - Atom Smasher. For me, this is a damn near perfect beer, it's well balanced and full flavored. Two thumbs up!

IMG_4748.jpg

I'm all over the place with beers. Frankly, I don't care for the microbrew stuff much, too hoppy in most cases and bitter in others. I won't drink beer for the sake of the label, but that's cheap me. On a daily basis, I'm a Budweiser guy or in famine times (4 days till payday ;-)) a Pabst drinker. Now my bosses, the brothers are con-o-sewers. They travel a lot and bring me back at least a bottle of what ever they encountered, or a six pack sometimes. They last week returned from Czech Republic and Poland to visit ancestral towns and where their relatives died in camps. Pilsner Urquell is fine beer, he bought it locally but said it's exactly the same beer with an English language label here. The other one brought me a single bottle of Kozel from Poland, it too was beautiful but only at "cave" temperature, basically cold but not American cold, another delicious brew.
I'm a strong leaner toward Kostritzer black or Schwarz beer, something about the coffee and chocolate tastes intrigue me, and also get me mighty fine feeling. Unfortunately my PRS McCarty took on a bit of "Budweiseritis" to the lower bout that cost me 75 bucks to get repaired...;-) Right in the scrape binding... luckily, I've got a fine tech...;-) I even gave him a Kostritzer after I paid him!!...

My new local favourite is 2nd Wedge. They are cycling distance from my house (about 30km mostly on nice country roads). They brew 4 year round beers and always have 4 seasonal. My daughter and I tasted them all and brought our three favourites home. Rain Maker was number one for me - dark and stormy but still smooth.

Good thing I'm doing sober October. Ahhh!!!!

Here are a few I've enjoyed recently.

8JBsz79.jpg

HTIjWSp.jpg

These first 2 are from Treehouse in Massachusetts. A friend was out there and brought these back. If you're in the Boston area check this place out.

007Tpz8.jpg

This is from Modist here in Minneapolis. It's a bit different batch to batch, but when Dreamyard is on its amazing.

Last edited:
Bodia recently made a trip to the PRS factory and he was kind enough to bring me some beer, cigars and other goodies (Hell of a guy!). One of the beers he brought was Two Brothers - Atom Smasher. For me, this is a damn near perfect beer, it's well balanced and full flavored. Two thumbs up!

View attachment 6831

Glad you like it! It is one of my favorites this time of year. Next time you roll through Chicago you need to make a trip to their brewery. They have great grub in their pub room, too.

Back