Les Paul Case for SC245?

aznhobo

Hi,

I have a Sunburst 245 and am currently shopping around for a case for it. I know that the SKB iSeries PRS case is probably best for fit and protection, but I think that would be overkill until such a time as I would need to fly with it or do heavy gigging. For now, I chanced upon this ebay auction of a case that I used to own. It's an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul case, so obviously it's for Les Pauls, but I haven't tried putting an SC245 in it. It would be great if it did fit, because I really like the looks of the case.

So my question is: has anyone had any success with putting their SC245s in Les Paul Cases? I've been hearing that differing neck angles affect the fit.

Thanks!

Just saw this, I answered you in the other thread also
Yes, the SKB cases are fine.
I do not fly with my guitars, but they sure do offer great protection and they are a perfect fit for a thick singlecut.

1.jpg

Nice! How much does that SKB case weigh? I have the black hardshell that came with my Brent Mason--nice case, but, boy, is it heavy! I'd like to find something lighter that would fit. I like the idea of having wheels on the case, as I've had balance problems since having my knee replaced a few years ago, but I can't use the SKB if it's as heavy as the stock PRS case. A gigbag's not an option either, as I don't trust myself not to drop it if my knee trips me up!

The SKB case is heavier than the PRS Multifit case.
Not sure how much it weighs, but it is a little heavier.

I had to go with the SKB ones as both my SE Tremonti Custom and my Zack Myers would not lay flat in the Multifit cases.
The neck would stick up as the lower bout section of the PRS case needs to be about 1/2" deeper.
With the SKB case they are cut deeper and let the guitars lay flat like they should.

Just saw this, I answered you in the other thread also
Yes, the SKB cases are fine.
I do not fly with my guitars, but they sure do offer great protection and they are a perfect fit for a thick singlecut.

1.jpg

Haha yeah, I'm now convinced that the SKB PRS case would be the best option for me if I were to go that route. Thanks for sharing your experience! However, I really would like to get the epiphone elitist case, which is why I posed this question :)

I don't have an SC245, but I do have an SE Akerfeldt, which should be fairly close (if anything, a bit long). I also have a Gibson Les Paul with OHSC, so maybe I can do a quick fit check for you tonight, if I get a chance. No promises!

I don't have an SC245, but I do have an SE Akerfeldt, which should be fairly close (if anything, a bit long). I also have a Gibson Les Paul with OHSC, so maybe I can do a quick fit check for you tonight, if I get a chance. No promises!

Thanks man, I'll be going to GC today as well to experiment with some stuff

The SKB56 case for a Les Paul fits both my SC58 and SC245. It's a ton lighter than the iSeries cases which are heavier than PRS stock cases.

Check out the Gator LP soft/hard case. Very good fit, light but rigid, and very protective. And under $100.

I use these at every gig.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Corey. That's a little disappointing--maybe I'll have to go with a really heavy-duty gigbag. Although I talked with an SKB rep last year, and he seemed to think that one of their better Strat cases might work.

I failed to get this done - it was clean-up-the-house-night, so never got near the guitars. Will try again, maybe tonight...

Thanks for the info, Corey. That's a little disappointing--maybe I'll have to go with a really heavy-duty gigbag. Although I talked with an SKB rep last year, and he seemed to think that one of their better Strat cases might work.
You are welcome.
Another nice thing about the SKB cases:
1. Waterproof, they seal with a gasket, and if your home floods the guitar should be safe.
2. If you have a flood, you could use the case as a boat :D

I use a Gator Les Paul case for my SC245, and yes the guitar body would ideally need to be 1/2" lower for the neck to sit on the cradle, but the body support is soft foam rubber so as the case is closed the guitar is held with the neck supported as the foam under the body compresses. Rather this than the body unsupported and the neck resting on a firm cradle IMHO. As in that situation the neck would carry the weight of the body.

OK, finally got a chance to check this today. May be a moot point, but the SE Akerfeldt fits very well in the Gibson Les Paul case I have. In fact, it fits better than the Les Paul! The LP headstock touches the bottom of the case (meaning the neck support is not really fully engaged), whereas the Akerfeldt headstock floats nicely.

I may troll around for used Les Paul cases as a result for the Akerfeldt and the incoming SE Zach Myers...

I tried putting my Bernie into a Road Runner "LP" hard shell case from Guitar Center today -- no joy. The neck was a good inch away from the part of the case that's supposed to support it, because the inside bottom of the case isn't deep enough near the neck joint. (I have trouble believing that a full thickness LP would fit either.) So, back it went.

Curiously, the same Bernie fit just fine in a ~16 year old Epi LP case...

The SKB case is heavier than the PRS Multifit case.
Not sure how much it weighs, but it is a little heavier.

I had to go with the SKB ones as both my SE Tremonti Custom and my Zack Myers would not lay flat in the Multifit cases.
The neck would stick up as the lower bout section of the PRS case needs to be about 1/2" deeper.
With the SKB case they are cut deeper and let the guitars lay flat like they should.

Hi CoreyT, I just ordered but haven't received my Zach Myers and wanted to order a case in advance. You're saying the SKB case does work with the Zach Myers? Thanks/Mark

Hi CoreyT, I just ordered but haven't received my Zach Myers and wanted to order a case in advance. You're saying the SKB case does work with the Zach Myers? Thanks/Mark
Hello Mark, yes the SKB case I have is a perfect fit for PRS singlecuts including the Zach Myers.
It holds both of my SE singlecuts nice and tight.

Welcome to the forum too!

Hello Mark, yes the SKB case I have is a perfect fit for PRS singlecuts including the Zach Myers.
It holds both of my SE singlecuts nice and tight.

Welcome to the forum too!

Thanks, CoreyT, that's helpful. And thanks for the welcome. It's my first PRS and I can't wait. I ordered it through Brian's Guitars and I'm in Sweden so it's going to be a long wait since I wanted it yesterday the minute I ordered it.

Thanks, CoreyT, that's helpful. And thanks for the welcome. It's my first PRS and I can't wait. I ordered it through Brian's Guitars and I'm in Sweden so it's going to be a long wait since I wanted it yesterday the minute I ordered it.
Which SKB case did you order or are considering ordering? The SKB 56 seems to be a nice traditional LP-case shaped case (vs the pure rectangle of the PRS Multifit and the SKB case shown above in Corey's post), and s.fitzsimmons indicated above that it is a lighter case overall.

Last edited:
Back