Kinman P90?

Otisblove

I've tried looking on the forum, but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for. I just bought a PRS SE One, which comes with a single P90 pickup. I haven't even played it yet, so there's a chance I'll love it and never touch it, BUT, if the hum drives me crazy, I've been looking at Kinman P90hx pickups online. I understand that on some guitars they require routing the existing pickup cavity. Anyone know if this is true of the PRS SE One?

Sorry, no experience with the Kinman but, give the PRS Soapbar a shot. It's a sweet pick up and punches above its weight class. Not too outrageous on the hum scale, either.

I have the stock P90 in my One and think it sounds great. For another project I'm working on I picked up a pair of Onamac Windery P90s. They haven'e arrived yet so I can't give a tone report, but they sounded good in their videos!

You'll probably be good on the SE One since it's single pickup. Where the trouble comes in is with a neck pickup. The routs aren't deep enough to accept tall pickups. I want to say 3/4" was about the max pickup height the neck slot can accommodate.

Will be best to measure your guitar before you order. Account for the pickup height, plus some cushion for the springs (or foam) & wire underneath, and some room between the poles and strings.

Look at Lindy Fralin. Great output and no hum. I have a set on my 56 reissue and they sound great.

I am having hum problems with the stock pickup in my SE One. Just today, I was on the phone to Lindy Fralin about his humcancelling P90. Lindy said it reads about 8k, so hot like vintage but not Leslie West hot. It sounds like the tone is correct. I hope it will work for my purpose. This is my slide guitar.

Back