Just one pickup - (sort of) poll

513 (I can get every sound I need from it)-> 408 (even though there isnt a significant difference between the tone options to my ears, the tones that it does deliver, it delivers very very well... articulate and strong, I leave mine in one configuration: neck in single, bridge in hum)->Narrowfields-> 58/15LT (very dynamic and responsive, reminds me of a singing voice)->57/08 neck->DGT bridge.

Great responses! So far, we've got 408 , 57/08, 59/09, DGT, 513 and almost... m :). Getting some momentum in the 408 and 57/08 (ish) areas.

Anyone surprised by what's not been mentioned yet? Hopefully we'll some some more responses soon. Oh, and thank you all - I was on the fence and you pushed me over: bought some 57/08's today.

.....bought some 57/08's today.

Awesome. While I said 408 Narrow "if there could only be one", it's the 57/08 that changed EVERYTHING for me. When I got my SC245 57/08 Ltd, I felt a "religious" moment - my playing got better, my tone got better, the inspiration and desire to create increased...silly, but it's the truth. I just did a show in Palm Bay, FL using that SC245 and I was on fire, lol. The ONLY 57/08s I have that aren't jaw dropping (still killer, but not quite the same) are the uncovered versions in my P22.

Anyway, I hope you find them to be as awe-inspiring as I have!!

I'm really trying to decide between 5909's and \m/. I could use either for just about any music.

Awesome. While I said 408 Narrow "if there could only be one", it's the 57/08 that changed EVERYTHING for me. When I got my SC245 57/08 Ltd, I felt a "religious" moment - my playing got better, my tone got better, the inspiration and desire to create increased...silly, but it's the truth. I just did a show in Palm Bay, FL using that SC245 and I was on fire, lol. The ONLY 57/08s I have that aren't jaw dropping (still killer, but not quite the same) are the uncovered versions in my P22.

Anyway, I hope you find them to be as awe-inspiring as I have!!

Thanks! I have an s2 c24 that I got for $600 that I'm starting to love. I replaced all the electronics with core but was really stuck on which way to go with the pups. So many good choices. After the recommends here I looked for 408s, but they are hard to find and with the different sizes might seemed iffy. the 57's are available and I heard a bunch of A/B with them on youtube, so I'm pretty sure they'll rock. I'm psyched to be getting them (though I really debated them and 59's). Who knows, maybe I'll end up getting 59's for my lp. :)

Cool. Yeah, the whole thing with the 408s are that they are totally proprietary. I doubt there will ever be "retro-fit" versions because of the bizarre shape. If you are curious, I have been doing demo vids of my PRS guitars - kind of going more in depth than the usual "reviews". I know when I was looking at buying these instruments I really didn't find expansive reviews/demos. I know the features (I can read, lol) and the sound examples would be quick and not cover the entire tonal range of the instrument. I have been taking some time and making vids that cover the guitar's tonal spectrum whist spending less time on features (still helps to cover them a little). I just did one on my S2 Standard 22 (because that is a VERY polarizing guitar, and there is minimal info out these on them) but I am thinking of doing my Paul's Guitar this week. It has the narrow 408 pickups, and a MASSIVE amount of cool tones. It'll probably be a long one since there is so much in it, but it'll be fun to do. Want me to let you know when I finish it?

And, just for fun....here's the one I did last week. I am kinda cheesy and not too comfortable talking to the camera yet, but it's fun!!

Cool. Yeah, the whole thing with the 408s are that they are totally proprietary. I doubt there will ever be "retro-fit" versions because of the bizarre shape. If you are curious, I have been doing demo vids of my PRS guitars - kind of going more in depth than the usual "reviews". I know when I was looking at buying these instruments I really didn't find expansive reviews/demos. I know the features (I can read, lol) and the sound examples would be quick and not cover the entire tonal range of the instrument. I have been taking some time and making vids that cover the guitar's tonal spectrum whist spending less time on features (still helps to cover them a little). I just did one on my S2 Standard 22 (because that is a VERY polarizing guitar, and there is minimal info out these on them) but I am thinking of doing my Paul's Guitar this week. It has the narrow 408 pickups, and a MASSIVE amount of cool tones. It'll probably be a long one since there is so much in it, but it'll be fun to do. Want me to let you know when I finish it?

And, just for fun....here's the one I did last week. I am kinda cheesy and not too comfortable talking to the camera yet, but it's fun!!

This is completely awesome! Please clue me when you do the 408s.

BTW, killer looking studio in the background - holy crap!

Thanks man...that's my baby!!! Spent years building it up. A lot of it is older gear from the early-md 90s, but it gets the job done. At its heart it's a ProTools HD system that I bought off a studio that was upgrading. It's a couple versions old, but I got all the HD cards, interfaces and a MASSIVE array plug-ins at an unbelievable price. Most of the outboard gear, and even the board barely get used, but they look good, lol!!!

There are so many PRSi that I wouldn't want to revoice with a pickup change. Choosing only one, it would probably be the DGT, but that would be the wrong fit in a Starla or Vela. I know I'm harshing the fantasy question, but one pickup would be SO boring.

Back