Just Maintainin'!

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by sergiodeblanc, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

You beat me. I was 19 and bought a Strat knock-off. Then a Floyd knock off. Then a Dimarzio Super Distortion pickup. The poor thing never knew what hit it...24 hours after unboxing and unwrapping it, I was chopping at the trem cavity with my drill-turned-router. Did such a good job I had to reinforce the trem cavity wall with a thick yard stick. Two years later, I disassembled it and threw it in the trash. Yes, there, I said it...I threw away a guitar. :eek:

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  2. The Fight

The Fight Long Hair Demigod

Oh man, right! That's always the first thing you learn when installing a Floyd into a strat! The second one I was smarted with the cavity lay out. Haha so funny! I mean that sucks...

sergiodeblanc and Boogie like this.
  3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Dude, that's a lot 'o dimebags!

4. veinbuster

veinbuster In the cards

I was young and fearless, and I had access to all the wood I wanted from 1x2 to 2x10. I only had a polaroid camera in those days and have no idea if I took any photos - I'll take a browse when I get home.

5. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

Nice. I sure got the warm-and-fuzzies when I put the new knobs and pickup rings on my HBII.

I guess I'm maintain'? I sold two guitars earlier this year, so I'm now happily down to four. Actually, I'm totally addicted to the S2 Singlecut Standard, so I'm really down to one plus three spares. I sold an amp too.

6. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Archon owning member

The worst I did was take my prized Ibanez Artist (high school graduation present) and drill three small holes for phase and coil tap switches, while adding Carvin pickups. TO this day I consider taking it to a wood guy to have those filled and refinished.

7. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

I understand that. It wasn't until I joined here that I understood the importance of taking pictures of my stuff. :p

Being addicted to guitars you already own is a good sign. Sometimes when I look at the pile of guitars I presently own I get anxious about the amount of work it takes to keep 'em all shiny and working.

8. bodia

Work, or Veuve?

9. sergiodeblanc

Same difference, really. Champagne doesn't grow on tre.... errr.. uhh..

10. garrett

garrett Not a New Member

I get it. One that I sold, I'd never gig. The other would always be choice number five, so I figured, what's the point in having them?

Beginning to feel very guilty about playing the HBII for two minutes and then grabbing the S2. Thinking of doing new pickups and dual splits to help it compete in versatility. Plus a soft shell case with backpack straps to encourage me to bring it to gigs...

11. sergiodeblanc

That's exactly what I'm going through with the guitar that inspired this thread. There are a few of my guitars that I have no problem with just letting them be their own "thing", and then others that I feel are in competition with each other... I don't know why I do that.

What's the point of having a bunch of guitars that do the same thing?

veinbuster and garrett like this.
  12. guitarman001

guitarman001 New Member

I think the Cu24 is the best guitar design ever.
    I have two, practically the same! Satin maple neck is the selling point.
    Only other electric I have is a Suhr strat-type which I'm always half-and-half on, but generally sounds alive and fantastic.
    The Cu24 ergonomics are the best ever. Look at Suhr Moderns, or LPs... what's the point in having 22/24 frets if you can't get to them!?

That's my problem now... my two guitars are so good, not other PRS can match up, and I've tried most others now, including the new 594.

I'm happy to keep maintaining and bond even better with what I've got.

garrett likes this.
  13. bodia

Since we're bearing our early attempts at modding things, I'll add the two I have. Both are from the 84-86 time period.

First:
    My second guitar, an Arbor Explorer copy didn't come with a case. My old man was the manager at the local Tru-Value hardware store. We always had extra stuff in the garage and easy access to "hardware" stuff. I decided to make a case for that Arbor. Ply wood, and 2x4's, hinges, a handle and some carpet scraps for padding. Guitar fit in the finished product nicely. A couple of problems: the case weighed 147 lbs, and it didn't fit in the back of the '74 Chevy Vega. I used it once, and threw it in the scrap heap.

Second:
    '86 B.C. Rich Eagle. I LOVE this guitar. Neck feels great, short scale, my fav guitar to that point. Huge Dokken/ George Lynch fan. I'm 19 and fear nothing. Drop in a set of Screaming Demons and a Wilkinson trem to replace the stop tail. No clue what I was doing, but it rocked afterwards! Three years later, I'm living in Chicago and decide it's time to grow up and give up the guitar. I take said BC Rich to GC to sell it and move on. The offer....$50.00......WTF!? Are you kidding me?! I gave the BC to a buddy that played it for years and gigged with it. As for me, I bought a Charvel 4 and have been a schlub ever since.

sergiodeblanc and veinbuster like this.
  14. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

This turned into the greatest thread evar!

veinbuster likes this.
  15. toothace

toothace At least I'm good at dentistry

My first mods were on my Memphis Les Paul copy. Pulled the neck pickup and put in a strobe light. The circuit board fit in the control cavity. used the other three control knob holes to hook up flashing LED lights that were turned off/on with the toggle with. Bridge pickup word directly to the jack. Needless to say there were shielding issues...each flash of the strobe made a very loud "kuh" sound.

sergiodeblanc, Dusty Chalk and Ovibos like this.
  16. fender1punk

fender1punk Certified Guitar Hoarder

My first attempt at modding a guitar. I was 14 and didn't have a lot of money. I bought a cheap Jackson for something like $120 with razor sharp fret ends. I think I wrapped it in yellow duct tape, filed the frets myself and cold soldered in a new humbucker. Somehow it worked, as long as I taped the guitar cable at just the right angle.

sergiodeblanc and Dusty Chalk like this.
  17. Ovibos

Ovibos No, YOU'RE a New Member!

In middle school, I read in "Guitar for the Practicing Musician" mag (member that?) that Pete Townshend slashed his speaker cones to get distortion.

So I took a razor blade to the cone of my Gorilla bass amp (member those?)

It went from sounding like a dusty fart to sounding like a wet fart. Feel free to decide if you think that's an improvement.

18. veinbuster

veinbuster In the cards

It certainly is fun.

19. sergiodeblanc

A while back I bought some "transitional" winged tuners with square-backs that they used for the old Artist series of guitars. One of the tuners was messed up and slips so I put 'em off to the side until I could get a replacement..

So that isn't happening. What I got instead were two spare Schaller wings that I'm hoping to dismantle and swap worm-gears on, if I can.
    Otherwise I may just have to go unmatched and use one of these Schallers instead. :(

[​IMG]

I tell ya, it's getting harder to find wings in the wild. I have two guitars left (stop tails) without them and when I finish these (for the Gucci Top) all my spare parts will be (mostly) used up.

I'm getting to the point where I won't even be able to look at buying another PRS unless they come with wings already.. Call me a "flat-earther" or a caveman, whatever. I'm Just Maintain' in 1987 over here.

[​IMG]

bodia likes this.
  20. veinbuster

veinbuster In the cards

NO!

It's a bit sad that your horde has gotten so small. Just when I was thinking how cool they might be on a dark grey westie. I guess I could pillage my SAS.