Just joined the PRS family in a big way, some input/advice would be greatly appreciated

Heres some advice, Dont stare.. it'll cause something that cant be stopped and before you know it all your money is gone. Now im not saying dont spend you your money on PRS' just dont buy too many haha.

Like you, I consider myself primarily an acoustic player (although I've been playing 90% electric for the last couple of years). Also, like you I decided to go with a HB as my first PRS since it's in between an acoustic and an electric.

I find that due to my primarily acoustic "upbringing" I have a heavy hand when it comes to electrics. I find I play a bit better with the heavier gauge strings. Just somethign to consider.....

CONGRATS!!!!

Congrats! The Archtop II is a beauty. Mind saying where you bought it? They're not often seen (I think they were only made for about two years, 1999-2000? - someone correct me).

I have mine set up with .011s (roundwound DR Pure Blues, plain G). Flatwounds, which I have on several Gretsch hollowbodies, would be a bit unusual ... but for a big hollow guitar, not that strange.

The PRS Archtop pickups get mixed opinions (I'm not a fan) but like everyone else said, play it a while, and see what works for you and your sound. Many options out there if you want to change it up a bit.

Congrats again - it's a wonderful guitar and I wish PRS still made them.

-K

1st: Congrats on your beautiful guitar.

I use a big box archtop with a KA style pickup. I started with 13s flatwound, and now use 11s flatwound. There is no way I can bend any strings on it, so I save that for the regular electrics.

If you want roundwounds then why not try both 10 and 11s? Its only the cost of another pack of strings. Then you'll be sure. Good luck.

Hey guys, I wanted to come back here and say thanks for all the feedback. When i made this post originally, I was planning on having lots of ongoing communication with everyone here and checking into the forums daily, sadly that was not the case. My brother died unexpectedly about two days after I posted this originally and I was very torn up about it, we played music together frequently and this guitar was going to be something we would share a lot together. With some other unforseen financial circumstances, it looks like my time as a PRS owner is going to have to (hopefully temporarily) come to an end as I am planning on putting this guitar up for sale now. I appreciate all of the feedback, maybe some day I will be in a situation where I can buy another PRS but for now I have to move on.

Thanks,

Suggest you slap on a different gauge of strings and test it out. If you don't like how it plays it would be wasteful to do the setup for that gauge. I tried 11's with a wound G, and it had a fatter tone, but I just didn't have the finger strength for them.

Hey guys, I wanted to come back here and say thanks for all the feedback. When i made this post originally, I was planning on having lots of ongoing communication with everyone here and checking into the forums daily, sadly that was not the case. My brother died unexpectedly about two days after I posted this originally and I was very torn up about it, we played music together frequently and this guitar was going to be something we would share a lot together. With some other unforseen financial circumstances, it looks like my time as a PRS owner is going to have to (hopefully temporarily) come to an end as I am planning on putting this guitar up for sale now. I appreciate all of the feedback, maybe some day I will be in a situation where I can buy another PRS but for now I have to move on.

Thanks,

Sorry for your loss. But consider just holding on to the guitar till time passes. You will eventually feel better and you can then get back to enjoying your guitar.

Back