Just joined the PRS family in a big way, some input/advice would be greatly appreciated

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by hymnsandharmonies, May 13, 2018.

1. TRJC24PRS

TRJC24PRS Kiesel sucks

Heres some advice, Dont stare.. it'll cause something that cant be stopped and before you know it all your money is gone. Now im not saying dont spend you your money on PRS' just dont buy too many haha.

2. dcm_guitar

dcm_guitar New Member

Like you, I consider myself primarily an acoustic player (although I've been playing 90% electric for the last couple of years). Also, like you I decided to go with a HB as my first PRS since it's in between an acoustic and an electric.

I find that due to my primarily acoustic "upbringing" I have a heavy hand when it comes to electrics. I find I play a bit better with the heavier gauge strings. Just somethign to consider.....

CONGRATS!!!!

3. Kiwi

Kiwi New Member

Congrats! The Archtop II is a beauty. Mind saying where you bought it? They're not often seen (I think they were only made for about two years, 1999-2000? - someone correct me).

I have mine set up with .011s (roundwound DR Pure Blues, plain G). Flatwounds, which I have on several Gretsch hollowbodies, would be a bit unusual ... but for a big hollow guitar, not that strange.

The PRS Archtop pickups get mixed opinions (I'm not a fan) but like everyone else said, play it a while, and see what works for you and your sound. Many options out there if you want to change it up a bit.

Congrats again - it's a wonderful guitar and I wish PRS still made them.

-K

4. merciful-evans

merciful-evans New Member

1st: Congrats on your beautiful guitar.

I use a big box archtop with a KA style pickup. I started with 13s flatwound, and now use 11s flatwound. There is no way I can bend any strings on it, so I save that for the regular electrics.

If you want roundwounds then why not try both 10 and 11s? Its only the cost of another pack of strings. Then you'll be sure. Good luck.

5. Jazzedout

Jazzedout New Member

The big question is: Does that 10 string nylon djent? :D:D

6. shimmilou

shimmilou New Member

7. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul New Member

Sweeeeet Guitar!!!! Enjoy!!!