Just bought a Vela

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by gtrdave, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:42 PM.

1. gtrdave

gtrdave New Member

So, the guitar I was actually looking for when I purchased my S2 Standard 24 will now be in my possession in a few days. :)
    I found a great deal on a slightly used Vela and I can't wait until it gets here and is in my hands. I love the quirkiness about that guitar, from the offset design to the mismatched pickups to the pseudo-vintage style bridge. I realize that it's been a polarizing axe since it's release and I'm definitely on the love and not hate end of the spectrum.

Sadly, though, as one comes home, one must also go, so my Fender Pawn Shop '72 guitar will be leaving. It, too, is very quirky, but it's been a great guitar for the 5 years or so that I've had it. I just need something more diverse than what it's capable of and the Vela should easily achieve that.
    :cool:

2. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Rah rah ah ah ah!

Rad!

You know, I haven’t really heard any hate on the vela.

gush likes this.
  3. bodia

bodia Authorities said.....best leave it.....unsolved

Vela! You'll dig it!

gtrdave likes this.
  4. gtrdave

gtrdave New Member

It's out there on the internet, mostly from people who have never even played one. What happens is they see the pickups and see the bridge and immediately start comparing it to a Gretsch or a Tele without recognizing that it's meant to be neither, but uses minor elements of both to be something different. And I like different. :)

Boogie, andy474x and sergiodeblanc like this.
  5. n24re

n24re Enjoying the ride...

I love mine....such a unique instrument...it fits a gap I never knew existed. I can play AC~DC or Brad Paisley covers with it...really a neat range of sounds.

Oh....and Brian @ Brians Guitars is doing a Private Stock Vela...I am watching that build very closely!

Dusty Chalk, gtrdave and xjbebop like this.
  6. veinbuster

veinbuster In the cards

Vela=good

I approve of this upgrade.

gtrdave likes this.
  7. gush

gush New Member

What???? PS Vela good lord.

sergiodeblanc likes this.
  8. xjbebop

xjbebop Yippy ki yay!

The Vela has become my favorite PRS model.... the most unique they offer.

gtrdave likes this.
  9. Wakester

Wakester Yea! I'm not the new guy anymore!

it's funny how we find what we really were looking for, when we look for something else.
    I was looking at the 2017 SE custom 22 and found my 30th anniversary custom 24 instead. Better deal in my opinion. Congrats, can't wait for the pics.

10. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

The Vela could easily be a dessert island guitar. Of course, there’d have to be electricity and a Super Dallas and 2 4x12 cabs, and a Klon, but hey, it’s my Island so don’t judge. o_O

Anyway, I’ve come really close to swapping out the bridge pickup a couple of times but when you sit and really listen to it, you can’t deny the cool. It’s 5+ lbs. of cool in a 1 pound bag.

bodia, veinbuster and xjbebop like this.
  11. Fro

Fro New Member

It’s about time.

gtrdave likes this.
  12. gtrdave

gtrdave New Member

I know, right. I mean, it's been 5 months since I first heard of the model and was inspired to pick one up... ;)

13. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

I just noticed that autocorrect changed my opinion of the Vela from “ok to be alone with only this guitar in a remote place” to “I want to eat it like a sweet treat after dinner”. o_O On second thought, being on a dessert island doesn’t sound so bad either. :p

xjbebop and Alnus Rubra like this.