It's weird when you quench your GAS

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
It's almost a let-down. All the research, the search, the pining, the anticipation, the discussions, the endless Youtube reviews...then it happens: you find it. Even worse, it arrives. "Oh happy DAYS!!" you think, and they are happy, indeed. But now what? What do I dream about? What do I "awake in anticipation" about? This was such a cool experience and exciting...WHAT'S NEXT??!!

How do you handle the euphoric deflation, post GAS? Just jump back on the GAS wagon or do you have a decompression period? Self imposed? Wife imposed? Doctor imposed? ;)

But now what?

I'm going to make some assumptions here; forgive me if they don't apply in your case.

First, let's say that you did the research to find a musical instrument that would suit your music-making needs. You found it. Let's say also that having found it, you began anticipating owning it, and after making the decision to buy it, you became excited. Excitement is natural.

But let's say that you didn't buy it for the excitement. Let's instead speculate that you bought it for the reasons you originally researched it.

If so, the excitement part has absolutely nothing to do with your interest in the instrument. It's a by-product. And as such, it's not really logical to pursue having more by-product. The by-product is where people get GAS and in truth, GAS does nothing for your music. Really, GAS is counterproductive, because you focus on acquiring instead of the reason you bought an instrument in the first place.

Unless, of course, the reason you bought the instrument is to have an instrument collection. That's a different thing, I suppose.

We all know folks who buy for the sake of the thrill. But the thrill wears off very quickly, as we have seen with folks buying and selling constantly. My feeling is that if one has to churn new stuff all the time, something irrational is taking place. So think about why you acquired this instrument, and then take a deep breath and just enjoy it for what it is.

You probably don't truly need to have every shiny object out there that you find appealing. We all joke about GAS, but for the most part, GAS is a symptom of just needing a thrill and a little excitement that you're not getting elsewhere in life.

I'm probably a bad example of traditional GAS affliction because I'm just not in a position to go after all that I could (2 kids in college kinda thing...not a bad thing, either). So, GAS comes and goes usually without any resolution. When the need for a new amp arose and the funds came available, a rare occurrence presented itself...GAS relief! And yes, I agree with all of the psychology around this affliction (someone will probably call it a disease and I will scoff) but there are SO many others here that go thru the GAS cycle, enabling and triggering others to do the same. It's a perpetual GAS machine around here!

Because so much of the gear we pursue around here is not available to demo down at the local music store, there's always going to be a level of uncertainty and/or unrealistic expectations is that we acquire. It's part of the risk. But because there's so much good info and advice around here, it makes informed and intelligent decisions possible. :rock:

someone will probably call it a disease and I will scoff

I think it's a symptom, not a disease. After all, it's very natural to be excited to get something you've researched and waited for!

I'd say it becomes a disease if one simply can't control the need/desire for another immediate hit of excitement. The disease is whatever causes the urge to be uncontrollable. I can't say what that is - I'm not trained to do that.

Yes, the GAS machine is perpetual around here; after all, birds of a feather tend to flock together... And I recognize the symptoms because I can relate!

On the other hand, I look at the kind of person my wife is. She's a very rational person. She is not a "shopper," in the sense that some folks seem to go shopping as an activity. She buys what she needs yet goes with quality; she's careful with a buck no matter how good business might be; but like anyone else she gets really excited if, say, I buy her a nice birthday present. Then she will use it, enjoy it, but not go out and buy something else just to repeat that feeling of excitement.

The joy she gets out of life seems to be unrelated to acquisition of things. Yet she takes good care of herself, is pretty, always looks sharp, etc.; the woman is no slouch in any department.

Somehow she accomplishes this very sensibly and naturally, and is happy with what she has and who she is. I'd say she's a very well adjusted person. I wish I could be as well-balanced.

Last edited:
Is it really quenched or are you just in remission? For me, there will be another flareup shortly.. :angelus:

D6A77199.jpg

It is a bit weird to NOT have GAS...I'd been on a several YEAR tear with the start of a couple of bands.... swapping from drums to Guitar to Guitar and vocals.

Right now I've got $$ in my "Guitar Fund" but nothing I'm really burning for.... JUST PLAYING. It is a bit weird for me, I'm having such a good time with the P22 that it's about all I play. :D I'm really ready to play in another band but I'm in a VERY small pond and there's nobody to play with that I really want too :( So I'm going to keep woodsheding and see what happens ;)

I've been pretty much gas-less for the last 2+ years, since I got my Tonare Mahogany Concept. Although the new BRW Angelus Collection VI did cause a bubble or two in my "special place"...

I enjoyed the hunt, reveled in the chase, bought this, sold that. I'm really happy with the guitars I now have. Now, that's not to say that one day, something won't knock my socks off. But right now? I'm content...

Jamie, taunting the "Gas Gods" big time!

Back