Issue with my PRS S2 Singlecut Tone and Volume Pots.

Rowan771

Hi all, so I've had my PRS guitar now for about 2 years and I am recently having issues with my volume and tone pots. Every time I adjust my volume or tone I hear a loud scratchy noise, and sometimes the sounds cuts out entirely. This is the first guitar I have ever bought that I invested more than $200AUD in and I cherish it greatly so have taken the utmost care of it. This seems to be an issue of faulty product. Problem is I moved house recently and the receipts are missing. Is there anything I can do? I'm in Australia by the way.

After 2 years, that's wear & tear IMHO.

Good news is that a little spray of Deoxit in those pots will likely fix you up.

The sound cutting out entirely could signal a loose wire/dry solder joint. But otherwise, this is what happens to pots after a while, specially if they haven't been used for a while, or the guitar has been left out. Basically it's dirt/dust in the contact points of the pot and a bit of regular use/electrical contact cleaner should sort it out. It's certainly not something that is only restricted to lower end guitars - the pots are basically the same no matter how expensive the guitar is and are all susceptible to a degree. Amps the same.
Best preventative measure - use them regularly

Do you mean 2000AUD?

Turn the pots vigorously again and again and again, they might be a bit dirty.

Or, they're worn out for some reason. The good news is they're cheap parts. Buy some CTS from the net, or PRS branded ones if you are so inclined. Make sure you replace them with the correct types, ie audio taper 500k or whatever the rating is, and if they're push/pull buy a push/pull of the same kind.

If you're no good with wiring like me, take it to a technician who can do it for you, shouldn't cost you much

in fact I usually order parts from guitarpartsresource.com

But I am also in Australia and I just gave this mob a go: https://www.realparts.com.au/electronics/500k-pots.html You can see here a new CTS 500k volume pot is 7 dollars so don't stress

If you do take it to a tech, depending on how much you have played it in the 2 years, might be worth a full service anyway

Back