Is this thing beyond saving?

Thanks for the replies. PRS contacted me today asking for pics, my general assumption now seems to be that this is a huge cost, they already estimated around $1700 before even seeing anything. That's the cost of another used CU24 in probably much better condition. Ultimately, I may just follow the advice here, slap on some good parts, maybe plug the holes with a dowel pin or something just to seal it and just play it.

I'd rather have a PRS in this kind of condition than no PRS at all. Despite all it's shortcomings, it's still the best sounding guitar I have. A testament to PRS.

maybe plug the holes with a dowel pin or something just to seal it and just play it.
If they bug you that much, they make a red filler pencil you can buy at Home Depo. and some red fingernail polish to cover the spot. You can get it to look pretty close.

Thanks for the replies. PRS contacted me today asking for pics, my general assumption now seems to be that this is a huge cost, they already estimated around $1700 before even seeing anything. That's the cost of another used CU24 in probably much better condition. Ultimately, I may just follow the advice here, slap on some good parts, maybe plug the holes with a dowel pin or something just to seal it and just play it.

I'd rather have a PRS in this kind of condition than no PRS at all. Despite all it's shortcomings, it's still the best sounding guitar I have. A testament to PRS.

Right on! I bet that a little wiring, new tuners, and a fret dress will also make it the best playing/functioning guitar you have as well.

With all the other marks on it, I recommend leaving the screw holes as-is. There's no need to fill them. What I love about this guitar is it's so classy with that great top and the gold hardware, but its functionality has clearly taken the forefront and the wear is like a badge of honor.

I always wonder why people use the screws for GK pickups. I went through that phase of thinking a guitar synth was cool too... but I used the supplied double-sided tape, fortunately.
I agree. How you could pay so much for a guitar and just jam two huge screws into a nice top like that is beyond my understanding. Some people don't care, I guess.

I agree. How you could pay so much for a guitar and just jam two huge screws into a nice top like that is beyond my understanding. Some people don't care, I guess.

Right? I’m pretty fearless when it comes to modding/ruining guitars but...

It’s a trend I notice on a bunch of old PRS too, maybe it’s the versatility of them and the thought “Now this guitar does everything. It sounds like a Strat, Les Paul and a flugelhorn!” :p

If you had the holes filled and everything refinished professionally that would make the hardware look bad so you have a mismatch, and then you will want to change that too. Imagine the cost. Unless you have a money tree in the yard don't go there, dude. Just get it playable. The electrics can be sorted easily. Dollar to a cent, the intermittent problem is just a resolder job. Fret level and crown is not difficult to do but even if you have to pay someone it should not cost too much. I imagine it looks worse in real life than the photos here but in all honesty to me it looks a decent guitar.

It is a beater, so beat it :)

If they bug you that much, they make a red filler pencil you can buy at Home Depo. and some red fingernail polish to cover the spot. You can get it to look pretty close.

Actually if you're at all handy, I would drill out those holes to match a very small dowel size, I like the idea of finding a fingernail polish to match the red color on the end of the dowel. (Make sure the dowel end is smooth) Then drop fill with super glue:

That could also work with the other dings and spots as illustrated in those two videos above.

Older, well played gittars have a certain 'mojo' that newer ones don't...yet...
That one has some extra Mojo!
Now I'm thinking some strobe LED's in the holes would just put it over the top!! :rolleyes:

Now we're talkin'!

Personally I would fill the existing holes with filler before I would put in a dowel. The nail polish will cover the smaller area better IMO. The dowel seems harder to match and harder to cover. You can also put toothpicks and glue in the hole and then lightly sand them flush. On my CE24 the synth holes seem small. I thought about filling and covering them but it just sounds so good I just play it and smile. If I get around to it someday then so be it.

Those synth holes look like they were drilled with a butter knife. Or more likely whoever did the "install" just stuck the pickup on and then jammed the screws in right through the finish without pre-drilling. Either way I am of the dowel/toothpick and fill opinion. Other than that I'm sure it sounds and plays good so just rock it!

I think you are in luck with the tuners. It looks to me like they didn't put screws in the current set. They are just using the pressure from the front nut to hold it in place. That means you can put an original set on without any extra holes showing. The holes in there now are for the original winged tuners.

I think you are in luck with the tuners. It looks to me like they didn't put screws in the current set. They are just using the pressure from the front nut to hold it in place. That means you can put an original set on without any extra holes showing. The holes in there now are for the original winged tuners.
Yeah, I'm on the hunt for a set of original tuners. This guitar actually came to me with gold Grovers but the seller included these particular ones. I put these on because they were PRS, not realizing they don't use the screw holes. I want to find the correct ones for this guitar and sell off these and the gold Grovers.

Yeah, I'm on the hunt for a set of original tuners. This guitar actually came to me with gold Grovers but the seller included these particular ones. I put these on because they were PRS, not realizing they don't use the screw holes. I want to find the correct ones for this guitar and sell off these and the gold Grovers.
Make sure to get the old ones that have the top two tuners using the single screw. Later ones had the two separated and they will not match the hole pattern. 95 and earlier I believe. Sergio will know the year exactly!

I agree with the general consensus: get those winged tuners with shared D&G screw, see if you or a local luthier can dress the frets, and maybe all your 5-way rotary needs is a little contact cleaner - but swapping in a new one should be easy enough.

Let everything else remain, as battle scars!

Sergio will know the year exactly!

PRS was exploring different sources for tuners back between 93-95 before settling in. There were at least three different versions of Phase I’s, so they’re really PI’s, PI 2.0, etc..

The one’s you’ll want are the Schaller branded tuners. If you’re patient enough you can find a set on Reverb or eBay.

The last set of gold wings I bought was around $100, which is the top end of what I’ll usually spend for them... so if you find yourself in a bidding war on eBay, know that you’ll have to at least bid $101.:p

But really, most people prefer the Phase II's. Your guitar already has a few extra holes in it so, it might be beneficial or easier to just go with a set of gold PII's. They have a better/smoother gear ratio and there's a lower learning curve with stringing them up, and are easier to find, as well as easier to find parts. Nobody will judge you... except me, I'm a nobody.

Last edited:
PRS was exploring different sources for tuners back between 93-95 before settling in. There were at least three different versions of Phase I’s, so they’re really PI’s, PI 2.0, etc..

The one’s you’ll want are the Schaller branded tuners. If you’re patient enough you can find a set on Reverb or eBay.

The last set of gold wings I bought was around $100, which is the top end of what I’ll usually spend for them... so if you find yourself in a bidding war on eBay, know that you’ll have to at least bid $101.:p

But really, most people prefer the Phase II's. Your guitar already has a few extra holes in it so, it might be beneficial or easier to just go with a set of gold PII's. They have a better/smoother gear ratio and there's a lower learning curve with stringing them up, and are easier to find, as well as easier to find parts. Nobody will judge you... except me, I'm a nobody.

Clever. Recommend the PII's on the guise of them being better, easier, etc. In reality, you're eliminating a potential buyer so there are more wings for you. I know your game! :p

Back