Is this fake?

Don't know if you folks saw, but there a youtube vid by a guy named ChinaguitarSceptic. He does an unboxing and, rather than being a skeptic, basically says (aside from some tuning and electronics issues) that it's totally great. Looks a lot like a core. First this one:
- then, Jeez folks it was so bad I really needed to buy another so this one:

Skeptic my ass.

That guy is a dirtbag. I wish him all the worst luck in his business ventures.

Don't know if you folks saw, but there a youtube vid by a guy named ChinaguitarSceptic. He does an unboxing and, rather than being a skeptic, basically says (aside from some tuning and electronics issues) that it's totally great. Looks a lot like a core. First this one:

Skeptic my ass.
he encourages and promotes the chinese to maintain there reputation of being cheap like himself i wonder what his girl friend is like OMG

Skeptic my ass.

This guy at least pretends to be a skeptic. Just watched some other videos linked to this one of dudes buying fake instruments and raving about them. All of these guys are terrible.

Yes but what is mr Smith doing about it some kid buys one and tells his 200 friends that he has a Prs but i think that very soon all prs guitars will be made in china except the private stock what i think paul really wants to concentrateton on as there is big money in them and he can have a reputation as a 1 off custom builder. Pauls made his made his money and china (world guitars)can produce fast and have the cnc tooling but non of them will ever be an appreciating accett ther is too many models and a ltd run every month but the private stock models will be of value as they will be one offs only. paul if he lives long enough will become a legend if he signs them and puts his little star hidden back in them and our grandchildren will benefit. So the chinese copy of a copy wont worry him its too late and he has a pedigree now and volume sales under his belt well done paul a self made legend in the making that took on all the mass producers and beat them hands down on quality. the bubble has burst so the only way for us to go is to take out a mortgage and go for a private stock model which i guess will start at $60,000 (as a 1959 1960 les pauls sells at double that) and paul will want to be right up there be the best and be the most expensive with legal authentification papers like a Rolls Royce watch and see

Yes but what is mr Smith doing about it some kid buys one and tells his 200 friends that he has a Prs but i think that very soon all prs guitars will be made in china except the private stock what i think paul really wants to concentrateton on as there is big money in them and he can have a reputation as a 1 off custom builder. Pauls made his made his money and china (world guitars)can produce fast and have the cnc tooling but non of them will ever be an appreciating accett ther is too many models and a ltd run every month but the private stock models will be of value as they will be one offs only. paul if he lives long enough will become a legend if he signs them and puts his little star hidden back in them and our grandchildren will benefit. So the chinese copy of a copy wont worry him its too late and he has a pedigree now and volume sales under his belt well done paul a self made legend in the making that took on all the mass producers and beat them hands down on quality. the bubble has burst so the only way for us to go is to take out a mortgage and go for a private stock model which i guess will start at $60,000 (as a 1959 1960 les pauls sells at double that) and paul will want to be right up there be the best and be the most expensive with legal authentification papers like a Rolls Royce watch and see

So much of this is wrong; both your conclusions and alleged facts. I hope I understood your meaning. Additionally, I hope you're writing this on a phone because the spelling and grammar is indecipherable.

You seem either young or new to guitar. If the "bursting bubble" you're talking about is China making a lot of fakes, that bubble has been burst for a while.

PRS will continue to win at affordable price points as well as expensive ones. From what I've seen in these videos, PRS SE is a much higher quality guitar than even "private stock" Chinese fakes. Most cant even stay in tune. Not to mention the moral and legal implications of buying these guitars. It's illegal in some states, I believe. If they are using real rosewood, I doubt they are following CITES regulations (Although the board on at least one of those looked really suspicious).

edit: Additionally, it seems like most people who buy these fakes aren't particularly interested in quality. They're like the young boy you described, they just want to own something that looks the part so they can tell all of their friends about it. If those choads want to keep buying Chinese fakes, whatever. It will never be as good as the real thing.

Seems a bit of a trolling entry. I don't think I'll bite on this one.

Maybe he's a Chinese counterfeiter. He came here to get our fake-spotting secrets and decided to drop a line just for kicks.

So much of this is wrong; both your conclusions and alleged facts. I hope I understood your meaning. Additionally, I hope you're writing this on a phone because the spelling and grammar is indecipherable.

You seem either young or new to guitar. If the "bursting bubble" you're talking about is China making a lot of fakes, that bubble has been burst for a while.

PRS will continue to win at affordable price points as well as expensive ones. From what I've seen in these videos, PRS SE is a much higher quality guitar than even "private stock" Chinese fakes. Most cant even stay in tune. Not to mention the moral and legal implications of buying these guitars. It's illegal in some states, I believe. If they are using real rosewood, I doubt they are following CITES regulations (Although the board on at least one of those looked really suspicious).

edit: Additionally, it seems like most people who buy these fakes aren't particularly interested in quality. They're like the young boy you described, they just want to own something that looks the part so they can tell all of their friends about it. If those choads want to keep buying Chinese fakes, whatever. It will never be as good as the real thing.
Hi what i wrote is not aledge
Maybe he's a Chinese counterfeiter. He came here to get our fake-spotting secrets and decided to drop a line just for kicks.
plÀw

Hi what i wrote is not aledge

plÀw
Hi no you dont understand my meaning i fully support your comments i condone these copies and as an owner of 5 Prs guitars in my collection i am disgusted that the volume of these fakes are allowed to be publically displayed in the shops i see this more than you as i live in Thailand were they flood in and they are being passed off as the real thing. My thoughts on the way PRS is going is only my opinion not alleged facts if it upset you i am sorry yes i am on a phone it was late at night, 6 hours a head of you and tired but we all have our opinions

Something I always note on the fakes when I can't tell the difference in any other manner is the string pull through the nut to the tuner.

PRS are absolutely straight to the post, if they skew out it's poor fake geometry. I honestly couldn't tell any other items other than the logo and the dull headstock.

That logo was the worst. I've never seen a rainbow pattern signature.

After reviewing the pictures again. The bottom inlay is way off. It appears that the strap button is off, but its correct, it's the inlay that is off by at least a eighth of an inch. The neck heel looks smaller than the ones on real PRS guitars. The output jack is thinner than anything I've ever seen on a true PRS. The tuner posts are rounded, not flat as most PRS guitars are. Good thing you trust the folks here to steer you clear. And I basically know squat about PRS other than my McCarty.

Last edited:
Something I always note on the fakes when I can't tell the difference in any other manner is the string pull through the nut to the tuner.

PRS are absolutely straight to the post, if they skew out it's poor fake geometry. I honestly couldn't tell any other items other than the logo and the dull headstock.

That logo was the worst. I've never seen a rainbow pattern signature.

After reviewing the pictures again. The bottom inlay is way off. It appears that the strap button is off, but its correct, it's the inlay that is off by at least a eighth of an inch. The neck heel looks smaller than the ones on real PRS guitars. The output jack is thinner than anything I've ever seen on a true PRS. The tuner posts are rounded, not flat as most PRS guitars are. Good thing you trust the folks here to steer you clear. And I basically know squat about PRS other than my McCarty.
These fakes that are around are just cheap end copies The serious chinese fraudsters are replicating vintage Fenders Gibsons in every detail only very high value Instruments not cheaper brands like PRS instruments which have yet no history or appreciating value as the company was only founded in 1985 and i know of a 1987 for sale mint condition not worth anything what you would think. PRS is big a volume big profits business and gives the dealers a heathy profit too and rightly so.
Being the 3rd largest producer untill they are bought out by Fender MAYBE(only my opinion.) we have no worries then the value could incease marginally for pre Fender models just enjoy your guitar like Paul intended he might be no3 be he is no1 for value for money . And forget the chinese and there fakes they are just pond life.

You kind of lost all of us at "High value instruments like Gibson and Fender"... Yes, they have some high DOLLAR guitars, but VALUE is not the same as High Pricing for an inferior to PRS product. Suffice it to say that all of them are getting counterfeited, all of them have copies out there. This was a fairly easy spotting, even for a PRS know half of nothing like me...;-)

You kind of lost all of us at "High value instruments like Gibson and Fender"... Yes, they have some high DOLLAR guitars, but VALUE is not the same as High Pricing for an inferior to PRS product. Suffice it to say that all of them are getting counterfeited, all of them have copies out there. This was a fairly easy spotting, even for a PRS know half of nothing like me...;-)
ref "all of us"
May be i should have wrote, high ticket asking prices, or command large amounts of money; due to them being so called "vintage."

A fake is a fake, is a fake, is a fake. It does not matter what the quality level of "the fake" is.
If someone thinks they are making a good guitar, then they should put their own name on it, not someone else's name.

Back