Is this "do-able"?? Can forum members contribute to a "classic rock music video"???

docbennett

Banned
Got this idea from another thread, but wanted to present it to the entire forum to see if there is any interest, and to see if it can even be implemented.

Here it is, in a nutshell. As a group, the forum chooses a traditional rock classic. Something everyone knows, ad nauseum...so recognizable that every hook is already ingrained in our memory banks.

Once we choose the song, we then video ourselves playing the tune. Easy rules...1 ) You can choose to play rhythm or lead. 2) You must play the entire song however, and 3) you must keep tempo to the original BPM of that particular song.

Now...here comes the tricky part....I would hope that we could choose a song in the 4 minute (plus or minus) range...and get enough members to allow for about 15 second segments...can you imagine...."Aqualung" being played by 18 different people...edited into a smooth version of the song with each person's segment edited to follow or precede the other ones? I think the final result would be both hilarious and lots of fun to create.

I don't know if this is do-able...and I imagine it would be a lot of work for the video/audio editor(s) to make it a smooth transition from player to player. I figure, if each person commits to playing the whole song, the editor would have a lot to work with to ensure that everyone gets a segment of the video.

This idea evolved from the "Unicorns" thread in which several members demonstrated their creative writing skills in developing a story unique to the elements of this forum. It even had Zombies!!

So....any interest in this project...and more importantly...is this possible to be done? Is there a "youtube" editing machine, or equivalent??? Post your interest, or lack thereof, and we can go from there. If you have any knowledge as to the technical stuff involved to make this work...please post it as well.

It's do-able.. But...

The amount of video and audio editing work is enormous! I've took part and helped edit these 'internet jams' in the past for another site (Such as this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPxn0OdGqcA ) and whilst it's a lot of fun it is a lot of work!

What we used to do is find a backing track that we all agreed on and then gave each member up to a minute of 'jam' time. Then the audio was worked on and synced with the video to make a continuous jam. It sounds simple but it takes a lot of work to get everyones audio and video looking and sounding as good as possible and all synced.

The problem with the 15 seconds is that it adds a lot more work. I'm all for this PRS Forum Jam and am prepared to help out (Would need others to work on 'groups' if more than 6 -10 want to take part) but it would be best to allow each person to take a shot at a time rather than cutting it into short segments.

So... Do-able and a lot of fun but it will take a lot of work.

Doc, why don't you get some video editing software, learn how to use it, and get this going? It's not my thing, but it seems like you'd enjoy it.

I doubt you're going to find someone else who would put in the time to make it happen, and it seems like you'd have some fun with it.

Doc, why don't you get some video editing software, learn how to use it, and get this going? It's not my thing, but it seems like you'd enjoy it.

I doubt you're going to find someone else who would put in the time to make it happen, and it seems like you'd have some fun with it.

I vote for this answer.

The learning curve for me would be so steep that by the time I was ready to become a major player in this game, I'd have died of old age. This aspect of the project would have been reserved for someone who happens to enjoy and is expert at video editing, and who would have wanted to be part of the project. For me, it's kind of like imagining something cool, but not having a slightest skill as to how to implement it....while there are those out there for whom this would be (albeit it labor intensive and quite time consuming) child's play.

So...gotta pass on the actual "hand's on"....I'm a 100% Right Brain guy...I rely on Left Brain people to keep me focused and basically down-to-earth. I even suffer from "non-familial sinestrality" which is to say, I am the only person in my family line...going back as far as we can...who is left handed. So, my right brain is dominant to the extent that when it comes to learning new material....I can empathize with those who are developmentally disabled because I am there.

I'd suggest making it an instrumental - then you really only have to play one or two times through the changes of a section. Some ideas for good base tunes:
  • Little Wing
  • Blue Wind
  • Europa
  • Spooky

The learning curve for me would be so steep that by the time I was ready to become a major player in this game, I'd have died of old age. This aspect of the project would have been reserved for someone who happens to enjoy and is expert at video editing, and who would have wanted to be part of the project. For me, it's kind of like imagining something cool, but not having a slightest skill as to how to implement it....while there are those out there for whom this would be (albeit it labor intensive and quite time consuming) child's play.

So...gotta pass on the actual "hand's on"....I'm a 100% Right Brain guy...I rely on Left Brain people to keep me focused and basically down-to-earth. I even suffer from "non-familial sinestrality" which is to say, I am the only person in my family line...going back as far as we can...who is left handed. So, my right brain is dominant to the extent that when it comes to learning new material....I can empathize with those who are developmentally disabled because I am there.

"Hey, I have this great idea. It'll be a lot of work. You do it."

"Are you going to pay me to do it?"

"No, but you'll have the great honor of serving my desires."

"Um...gotta be someplace! Nice seeing ya!"

Yup....kinda like your second job of responding to every post on this forum, bro. :rofl:

Pffft. Get off your lazy derriere and stop making excuses. It's not hard to learn software.

That said, I agree that I need to cut back on my posts. And I shall do that.

Last edited:
"Hey, I have this great idea. It'll be a lot of work. You do it."

"Are you going to pay me to do it?"

"No, but you'll have the great honor of serving my desires."

"Um...gotta be someplace! Nice seeing ya!"

Les...I'll assume your kidding around, as was I. If you review the topic of the thread, the very title indicates that I am asking if it can be done. It clearly advocates for a volunteer to be involved in the technical process. I am not abdicating anything,, nor delegating. I am describing a project, and getting opinions regarding the various aspects of implementation. At no time did I ever imply that I would be at all involved in the technical process, other than to submit my video.

Last edited:
.I agree that I need to cut back on my posts. And I shall do that.

Oh Puhleeeze....if you're gonna ever be a bit sarcastic....and you know you just can't resist at times.....you gotta be able to take it back sometimes. I'm not as subtle as you. My favorite album title was Dave Edwards' "Subtle as a flying Mallet".

Les...I still love you. The forum would not be the same if you didn't have 43 posts for every thread, and if you cut down, I'm gonna have to go back to VR and take their abuse!!

The only person who should have the ability to have you cut down on your posts would be Mrs. Shefman!

So I guess this ain't gonna happen ;)

Only if we find someone who is savvy enough in either audio or video editing to volunteer their talent...I think we have enough people who'd be willing to participate. But, as I said in the OP...it's going to be tricky to find someone who is willing to volunteer the time and effort to be the technician in this project.

Les said that it's easy to learn software.....maybe for others...not for me....I am too Left brained...my eyes glaze over when attempting to follow technical manuals. I will say this...if someone sent me instructions on how to do this...and if the learning curve were less than a couple hours....I'd do it. But...if I'm not mistaken...we have a few members who are great at this sort of thing, find it fun, and consider it a hobby. That was my target audience for this project.

And now, Les thinks I'm a lazy bum, and is mad at me. I think I lost Sergio's vote of confidence as well. My tears made it difficult for me to type this post.

Last edited:
I think I lost Sergio's vote of confidence as well.

Not at all! I certainly have faith that you could put this together with a copy of iMovie, maybe not in a day but I know you are intelligent enough to figure it out. Just think how much richer your life will be when you can edit those new grandchildren videos and add some wicked BOC tracks to them! I think Les was just trying to encourage you (in his own way) to continue your personal growth by learning something new that we could all benefit from. I for one would never want you to get back into an abusive relationship with a different forum, you are well-loved and semi-comprehended by many of us here.

Les! Don't cut back on posting unless you feel there are other areas in your life that need more attention right now, we are trying to make this place self-sustaining and you are a big part of that. I honestly look forward to your posts, and the knowledge you share.

Not at all! I certainly have faith that you could put this together with a copy of iMovie, maybe not in a day but I know you are intelligent enough to figure it out. Just think how much richer your life will be when you can edit those new grandchildren videos and add some wicked BOC tracks to them! I think Les was just trying to encourage you (in his own way) to continue your personal growth by learning something new that we could all benefit from. I for one would never want you to get back into an abusive relationship with a different forum, you are well-loved and semi-comprehended by many of us here.

Les! Don't cut back on posting unless you feel there are other areas in your life that need more attention right now, we are trying to make this place self-sustaining and you are a big part of that. I honestly look forward to your posts, and the knowledge you share.

OK...this ^^^^^ was the most rational, sensitive, tactful, political and empathetic post I've ever read. :congrats:

So...you're saying that I should research "IMovie" as a resource to be able to be the technician in charge of implementing this project???:eek::dontknow:

Ok...having had fun with the above emoticons,, I must say that you are quite talented Sergio....I am NOT easily manipulated...but.....in describing it in a manner that shows me how many new nodules of grey matter I will add to the right part of my brain (at the expense of burning out a few million of the left brain cells trying to establish auditory-visual comprehension) I cannot resist. I have never walked away from an interesting challenge yet, and I ain't a gonna start now.

So...all I ask is that anyone interested (as a player) in participating please contribute to this thread so I know how many people will be part of this ensemble.

And....since I have to begin a learning curve, if anyone has any suggestions with regard to any other software that will do what Sergio has recommended...I need to know EASY TO LEARN software that will allow me to take a variety of youtube videos (or you will need to educate me as to how to accept videos from other formats) and cut and paste them into a new "supra-ordinate" video.

See.....if anyone has the ability already, you are saving a lot of time. But...if you want me to spearhead this project, I'll do it. Just provide me with:

• Several software recommendations I can choose from
  • A basic concept of what the learning curve will consist of
  • The various formats of video that can be sent to me..
    • youtube,
    • camcorder
    • smartphone
    • digital camera with video
I will need to know how to consolidate the formats...OR (thinking as I type) AGREE ON A SINGLE FORMAT THAT ALL CONTRIBUTORS WILL UTILIZE FOR THE PROJECT

Ball's in you guy's court for now.

Awesome news Bennett! I suggested iMovie because it's pretty easy and cheap, it should still be part of iLife if you are a Mac user, it came bundled with iTunes and Garageband and I picked up a fresh used copy of iLife from ebay for like six bucks shipped to my door. I'll tell you what, I will learn how to do what I need to do to contribute to the video if you run the show. I don't have a video camera and I don't know how to upload videos to youtube, but it's time I learned.

See how quickly your commitment to personal growth has already made an impact on others! Just imagine how many other people you can affect!

Awesome news Bennett! I suggested iMovie because it's pretty easy and cheap, it should still be part of iLife if you are a Mac user Never used one in my life....PC exclusively :(it came bundled with iTunes and Garageband which I've always meant to learn about and I picked up a fresh used copy of iLife from ebay for like six bucks shipped to my door. I'll tell you what, I will learn how to do what I need to do to contribute to the video if you run the show. I don't have a video camera and I don't know how to upload videos to youtube, but it's time I learned. uploading a video to youtube is the simplest thing in the world...just set up a youtube account, and when your ready to start, PM me if you have any questions and I will walk you through it.

See how quickly your commitment to personal growth has already made an impact on others! Just imagine how many other people you can affect!

Aw Shucks thanks. But, being in F/T Private Practice as a cognitive psychologist for 25+ years, I guess that's what I did for a living (before going 100% into forensic investigation thank you god that I don't have to deal with personality disorders any more and substance dependent patients any more, thank you again god). And, I got paid for it :rofl:

OK...so it looks like we're gonna first ensure we have enough people willing to contribute. Then, we will all agree on a tune or tunes, that we can all agree to play. Then, once it's tangible and we have the players and the tune(s)... I'm gonna collate the recommendations and determine which video editing software I'll be using. Then, everyone will send me their video and I will put together the final project.

Since that's where we've made it so far....what's better....continuing from here, with all the previous byplay...or someone else starting a new thread that takes off from here? Whichever...now it becomes dependent on others' involvement. Could be a lot of fun. Who's in???

Back