Is this a big deal?

Blackbird

Pincher of Harmonics
Is this the same thing as "finish lift?" This is a 2012 guitar, so I'm a little surprised to see it.
But I'm not distraught over it, the guitar will just relic faster. :p

However, I'm wondering if I need to do something about it. Is it bad for the wood? Will it continue to spread? What would I put on it to remedy?

Thanks for any help.
photo-7_zps98c76d06.jpg

photo-6-1_zpsdd76baa2.jpg

That looks like Hamer-itis, and is something CRGTR had on his Sig Ltd. I'm sure PRS can sort it under warranty?

Well, that brings up an interesting point. I purchased this from a reputable person on VR, someone with many references. But he didn't mention anything about it, the guitar was described as MINT with 15-30 minutes of playing time.

Maybe he just didn't notice. But the bigger issue is, the guitar isn't covered under warranty now, correct? If it's not covered, I would rather find a way to remedy it myself.

Do warranties transfer with private sells?

They do not transfer from private sales. Still worth contacting the powers that be. Have you talked to the seller? It arrived that way?

I would still contact PRS before you try anything on your own. Also - I dont see how a seller "didnt see that", so I would shoot him an email as well.

Is this the same thing as "finish lift?" This is a 2012 guitar, so I'm a little surprised to see it.
But I'm not distraught over it, the guitar will just relic faster. :p

However, I'm wondering if I need to do something about it. Is it bad for the wood? Will it continue to spread? What would I put on it to remedy?

Thanks for any help.
photo-7_zps98c76d06.jpg

photo-6-1_zpsdd76baa2.jpg

I had this problem with a 57/08 mcarty. I sent it to the guys at prs. They said the rosewood fingerboard may have been a little more oily than usual. This can cause the clearcoat to peel. They fixed it and sent it back. After some more playing in,it started to happen in a different spot on the neck. My solution to the problem...PLAY IT TILL ALL THE FINISH COMES OFF AND THEN IT WILL LOOK PERFECT!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help guys! I guess I'll get in touch with PRS and see what my options are.
If it's only aesthetic, I'm not too concerned about repairing it as I love this guitar and will probably die with it.
But if it somehow jeopardizes the neck wood or long-term performance of the instrument, it's gotta be fixed.

It's true that the oils in rosewood sometimes prevent the finish from adhering properly - in fact, this can happen even with the older finishes. It's not a big deal, and the PTC can do a superb job with it.

If you're keeping the guitar, might as well not risk further damage.

necro thread.......

have some stable spots on one side of my own fretboard, from the clear finish having lifted away from the rosewood, (I gather its from oily fretboard drying out over time enough to shrink away from the clear coat and is not that unusual)........its not that big a deal but.....

Is there a home brew way to treat this, I have tried the usual sources, google & you tube, and not found anything specific. How do they tackle this in the shop? Is it cut out area or score with razor and back fill with superglue then sand & polish?

If anyone has links etc I would be interested

Back