Is there a direct clone of the 85/15 pickup on the market?

I don't think my answer will directly answer your question; however I would suggest looking into some of Vaughn Skow's replacment pickups for PRS, here:

He claims that they are "Tweaked specifically for Paul Reed Smith / PRS guitar" and that he has replaced more pickups in PRS guitars than any other brand. If he's accurate in having tweaked them specifically for PRS guitars, then they shouldn't be that far off the 85/15 target. There's also a video of Brian Wampler trying them out in an SE Custom 24 here:

Again... I have not experienced these pickups directly, but I have to believe that he's either (A) onto something good here, or (B) completely off his rocker (which I do not strongly suspect he is). Buyer beware and/or YMMV still applies, though.

No ... He is not off his rocker . The VS Replacement Pickups are as advertised. I had them installed in a CU 24SE, and down to the "reverse " (?) zebra bobbin colors, they look the same ... But sound like you would want the 85/15S to sound ... especially when coil split.

They do not change the "character" of the original pickups ... that is they are more "aggressive" than your normal PAF, and have a "smiley-face EQ (slightly boosted Bass and Highs as compared to mids) ..

If you are looking to improve the sound of the guitar, without changing what it was initially designed to do ... then these pickups fill the bill.

I was ready to pay a ridiculous price for the SE Paul's pickup for its cool coil split sound ... When I realized I already had it in the Vaughn Skow PRS Replacement Pickup ... so I passed on them ...

I'm sure there are others out there ... but the VS PRS Replacement pickup works as advertised .

Last edited:
Back