Is my PRS 30 broken?

siliconj

Hi all, I got a PRS 30 combo from ebay and am wondering if it's broken. Here is why, it's all high end with very little bass. I have to turn all the trebel down and bright switch off to get it to sound reasonably (with a les paul). I don't know if this is how it's supposed to sound, it doesn't seem right. Other than that it sounds great. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!

Bummer. Did you buy it used? If you got it new, I'd suggest sending it back to the retailer for inspection.

Check some of the SE 30 sound clips (http://prsguitars.com/se30/). Does is sound the same? I assume you ruled out the LP?

Might also be worth your time to buy some new 12AX7 pre-amp tubes and drop them in. That would be my starting point. It's a simple process but if you're not sure how that works, leave it to a pro.

If you bought it used, you're live without a net (AKA not covered by a warranty). Still might be worth your time to email PRS Customer Service and see if those guys have some suggestions for you.

[email protected]

Hi all, I got a PRS 30 combo from ebay and am wondering if it's broken. Here is why, it's all high end with very little bass. I have to turn all the trebel down and bright switch off to get it to sound reasonably (with a les paul). I don't know if this is how it's supposed to sound, it doesn't seem right. Other than that it sounds great. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!
I also have a PRS 30 combo and I hardly turn up the bass, unless I'm playing single coils, then, I need a little more low end. But whenever I plug in my LP, or any guitar with humbuckers, I usually have to turn the bass very low and increase the mid and treble. I agree with Hans, buy some new 12AX7 pre-amp tubes and drop them in. I recommend JJ's. That's what I put in my PRS 30 combo and it sings. I especially love that WGS ET-65.

siliconj, I'm curious to know if you found out what the problem was with your PRS 30 combo. Did you fix it and was it the pre-amp tubes?

The PRS 30 has a lot of bass. when playing with my les paul I dial the bass around 10 o clock

Back