Is my Custom 24 worth reviving?

LJD

I have a '94 Custom 24 that needs some work. The high E string has a chronic sitar-like buzz, open and fretted. 10 years ago the headstock was broken off above the nut and I had it rebuilt, but the tension on the string has never been right. Perhaps because the headstock tilt wasn't recreated in the rebuild. It played perfectly after I got it fixed, but after a while the string started to buzz. I'm open to any degree of treatment. Is replacing a neck on a Custom 24 possible? I'd want to reuse the fretboard and re-fret it with DGT wire. The 5 way rotary switch is also broken. I'd also be interested in changing the pickups, maybe try a 3 way switching system and coil tap like on a ME4. It was such a great sounding and playing guitar, would it be worth fixing and updating?

I would think it is worth it. May not need a complete neck, the PTC can at least tell you what it needs and if anybody can do it they can. Send an email to the PTC and see what they say.

I have a '94 Custom 24 that needs some work. The high E string has a chronic sitar-like buzz, open and fretted. 10 years ago the headstock was broken off above the nut and I had it rebuilt, but the tension on the string has never been right. Perhaps because the headstock tilt wasn't recreated in the rebuild. It played perfectly after I got it fixed, but after a while the string started to buzz. I'm open to any degree of treatment. Is replacing a neck on a Custom 24 possible? I'd want to reuse the fretboard and re-fret it with DGT wire. The 5 way rotary switch is also broken. I'd also be interested in changing the pickups, maybe try a 3 way switching system and coil tap like on a ME4. It was such a great sounding and playing guitar, would it be worth fixing and updating?

Well right off the bat I'm going to tell to that you shouldnt be questioning the value - if the guitar is special to you I think you should do it. There is nothing like fixing a guitar that you've bonded with and making it perfect.

With that being said, there is no doubt in my mind that PRS can bring it up to exactly what you want. As long as the repairs you speak of were done somewhat decently I think you should go for it.

It may be pricey, but think of the good you would be doing for the world by caring for an Annapolis made PRS.

Back