Is it wise to change pickups on a late 80s PRS C24? And what current spec d ones?

martie6621

And what is the recommended pups to replace with? The originals are just too much treble and ice pick highs and with the limited tone control of the "sweet switch" there is not a lot of tone shaping. What have others done? I like the guitar otherwise but tired of the non musical pickups.

I would only make mods that can be easily reversed and not put the guitar at risk. I don't know what will happen with the value of that guitar but I wouldn't do anything to jeopardize the potential.

Out of curiosity (because it doesn't really change the answer), do you have a Custom 24 (CU24) or a CE24? Both get mis-labeled "C24".

Anyway, if you want a particular sound and you're not getting it from the pups installed, then swap them! It is easy enough to reverse.

As others asked, what pups are in there now, and what style of music do you prefer to play? I would guess you have HFS/VB, but could be something else...I guess if you have a late-80s CE24, you probably have "Vintage" pickups.

IMHO: There aren't many selections for your tastes in the PRS Store (the Dragon IIs and \m/ pickups are probably still too ice-picky), maybe the 59/09s? Or go with something third-party, lots of PAF-style pups out there...

Last edited:
Out of curiosity (because it doesn't really change the answer), do you have a Custom 24 (CU24) or a CE24? Both get mis-labeled "C24".

Anyway, if you want a particular sound and you're not getting it from the pups installed, then swap them! It is easy enough to reverse.

As others asked, what pups are in there now, and what style of music do you prefer to play? I would guess you have HFS/VB, but could be something else...I guess if you have a late-80s CE24, you probably have "Vintage" pickups.

IMHO: There aren't many selections for your tastes in the PRS Store (the Dragon IIs and \m/ pickups are probably still too ice-picky), maybe the 59/09s? Or go with something third-party, lots of PAF-style pups out there...
You really find the \m/ ice picky??? I think it's fairly smooth but still clear. I've never found it ice pick-like at all. I think it works nicely in CU22/24. If you're talking too hot, then maybe. Those pickups clean up very well with the volume knob too. The Dimarzio Tone Zone is a nicer smooth pickup in customs as well. Still fairly hot though. We need more info I think to determine if the OP wants hot or PAF or somewhere in between.

If it has the sweet switch, it is a Custom 24 and pre 1991, had the "standard" bass and treble pickups which were brighter - also known as "clarity." Not to be confused with the vintage bass and treble which i think were different pickups. 1991 went to the HFS and Vintage Bass and continue to be the standard pickup in the custom models. Give them a try. I am sure there are tons of them on the used market you can pop into the guitar and see how they sound before spending a boatload on newer pickups.

As others said, what pickups are in it now?
Also try lowering them a little to see if they sound better...

You really find the \m/ ice picky??? I think it's fairly smooth but still clear. I've never found it ice pick-like at all. I think it works nicely in CU22/24. If you're talking too hot, then maybe. Those pickups clean up very well with the volume knob too. The Dimarzio Tone Zone is a nicer smooth pickup in customs as well. Still fairly hot though. We need more info I think to determine if the OP wants hot or PAF or somewhere in between.

I can't comment on whether I find the \m/ pups ice-picky, mainly because I've never heard them in person. I was hypothesizing based on the OP's comment about whatever is stock in his/her "C24". I figure the lower signal (gain) the better, and the \m/ pups are relatively high signal, AFAIK. As PRS describes the \m/:

...utilize ceramic magnets for full, powerful and crystal clear tones. Whether used with massive amounts of gain or played clean, \m/ pickups are the perfect tool for the player who wants aggressive and articulate tone.

I find that folks who describe pups as ice picky are talking about pups that are often described by the manufacturer as "crystal clear" and having "articulate tone". Because those same folks like "warmer" (which can be sometimes be equated to "muddier") pups.

Hard to tell, based on lack of further data from the OP. It would be good if the OP could describe pups s/he has used/played in the past that sounded better to them.

I do stand corrected on one thing I posted. I was shocked at how few HFS and VB pickups were on ebay - a few pair, thats it. Maybe a good sign.

The guitar is a 1989 "Standard" - all Mahogany. The pups are PRS "Standard" bass and treble. They are very bright and harsh. I play mostly blues and rock - no heavy stuff. I like the sound of a warm humbucker. I have lowered them as far down as they will go and this helps a little but the tonal spectrum is still very much favoring the highs with little warmth. As far as other pickups I have played...I have played most HB pickups from all Gibson types to etc...I own a lot of guitars. I am the original owner of this 89 so it has sentimental value to me. When I bought it new from Chuck Levin's it took me months to save up for so it means a lot to me. I just now, want it to be a guitar I can play and not just keep in the case, which is where it lives now due to the ice pick tones. I have other PRS also. Would Gibson HBs "fit" in the space?
Thanks

Oh and I seem to like the sound of "low wound" buckers which seem to have way more "air" in the tones as if the guitar was breathing. I know this is all very subjective and not trying to be a cork sniffer on tones. It's just what I hear and what sounds good to me. I favor more mellow vintage tones rather than in your face harshness.

I have 5708's in a McCarty standard that sound awesome. Had Mira pickups that sounded great too.

If it has the sweet switch, it is a Custom 24 and pre 1991, had the "standard" bass and treble pickups which were brighter - also known as "clarity." Not to be confused with the vintage bass and treble which i think were different pickups. 1991 went to the HFS and Vintage Bass and continue to be the standard pickup in the custom models. Give them a try. I am sure there are tons of them on the used market you can pop into the guitar and see how they sound before spending a boatload on newer pickups.
I have a 1990 PRS Custom 24 that has HFS and Vintage Bass pickups originally shipped from PRS.So it's obvious that those were introduced a little earlier.
And this is an interesting thread: I have 1986 Custom that has those T and B pickups and they are indeed icepicky.
What is more strange, is that my 1992 has a very good sound (HFS, vintage Bass) but my 1990 has those same pickups and it doesn't sound as full.
So the wood has to be the factor, although basically "the same" exept for the Braz board on the 1990.

Back