Is it possible that even the PRS SE Torero has been faked? (Photos inside)

Gnarmageddon

I wanted to try the Torero out as a possible shred machine and bought one online used from GuitarCenter's god-awful website. After tax and shipping, I think the whole shebang was about $600.

In restringing this thing, I'm really starting to wonder. The sighting of the string over the EMG logos is not an optical illusion, if you press the string flat, it intersects the logo differently. And on the bass side, the rings aren't parallel. Not only that, but there's a noticeable seam and hump where the veneer is bookmatched (hard to pick up with a camera, but I assure you it's there).

I know this is the value prop line for PRS, but I can't imagine them letting this go. I'm going to likely return because frankly it arrived with a very scratchy volume pot, some noticeable dings and scratches... basically not worthy of the 'excellent' condition they claim. But it would be interesting to know if this is a ChiRS.

Can't tell much from the pics but my torrero doesn't have any issues. I have yet to see an asian knock off PRS that you can't immediately tell is a knock off. I also wouldn't think the obscure torero would be model thats replicated.

Screenshot_20210108-152455_Gallery73660e6ca79cb4b2.jpg

Besides the forearm contour the horn is slightly different too. I've always viewed the Torrero as one of those projects the factory did to show PRS what they could do if they wanted more so than a run PRS had the factory do. Almost like a prototype production run if you will. If that makes any sense.

Regardless of being pretty un PRS with 14" radius, ebony board, no markers, 25.5 scale, neck through, emg, and a floyd, I still think it's a cool guitar and probably the se I'd sell last. It plays and sounds fantastic. I did swap the EMG positions to get it to sound where I wanted.

Last edited:
I figured it would be a fun guitar to have around. It’s got great bones, just need to get those EMG’s off to the parts boneyard, get some quality tuners (I shim the Floyd so I don’t need to lock) and some better pots. That’s just a fun couple hours with the soldering iron.

Initial reactions - the acoustic sound of it unplugged is really bright. Build quality is… well the veneer hump is not so good and the pickups seriously look slightly out of alignment. That’s why I posted. Seems like a weird guitar to fake, but I’ve seen all kinds of left of center knockoffs. A friend of mine sent me a link the other day, knowing how badly I want to get one of the original Jackson Phil Collen “ghost“ models. And yes, there are knockoffs of that!

Back