Is a hollowbody my next?

THAT'S the way I like it to be better. PRS style better.

And that is... even better, I guess? A more refined hollow sound?

Many of you are talking about spruce tops.... are those HB I? As I can see, HBII are maple top-back and hog sides, but surfing the web I spotted one HBI in Reverb which has maple top and some kind of arched but solid hollowed mahogany body. Is that correct? Is one model more desirable than other?

BTW, I've just opened the case of one R9 and have told her "you're going to be soon a PRS HB and you know it" :p:D
Poor girl, doesn’t know what’s coming to her.:eek:

THAT'S the way I like it to be better. PRS style better.

And that is... even better, I guess? A more refined hollow sound?

Many of you are talking about spruce tops.... are those HB I? As I can see, HBII are maple top-back and hog sides, but surfing the web I spotted one HBI in Reverb which has maple top and some kind of arched but solid hollowed mahogany body. Is that correct? Is one model more desirable than other?

BTW, I've just opened the case of one R9 and have told her "you're going to be soon a PRS HB and you know it" :p:D

I believe that the nomenclature for the spruce topped model is a McCarty Hollowbody I.

I picked up an HBIIsc about two years ago and I love it so much I'm looking for a double cut to compliment it... I had a 513 on the list before that, but now I've got one of those, a double-cut hollowbody of some sort is in the cards... an HB, HBII, Spruce... hey, I'm open... :)

One on eBay for $2200 in Las Vegas!:D

Or Best Offer!!:eek:

d7a43ac573_55568972.jpg

images

According to the PRS "Model History" on their web site, a "Hollowbody I" has a maple top. I think it is simply called "Hollowbody Spruce" with no number after it.
That is correct: the HB II has a top and back of maple, HB I has a top of maple (hog body/back), and the "Hollowbody Spruce" has, well, a spruce top (hog body/back).

And my HB Spruce w/ piezo was my third PRS. It is awesome - gets lots of nice psuedo-acoustic-ish tones, and really nice low-gain rock/blues/jazz tones using the Archtop pickups.

I have real hankering to get a HB II, though - it should be brighter due to the maple top+back, and with the typical pups of recent years should be more of a rock'n'roll machine, while still being able to pull off blues/jazz and acoustic via piezo.

Ah, a SC HB II Quilted top - that is one of my GAS feeders!

I love my HBII. Not that familiar with 339, but 335 used be a dream guitar. Played a bunch of them before deciding on the HB2. Just wasn't loving the 335 like I used to. The HBII is definitely it's own thing, but if I were going to do a rough comparison, it would (to my ears) sit between a 335 and ES175. Which, I think, would put it even further from a 339. YMMV

I have two HB1's. I just couldn't put up with the flamey arse on the HBII, the tone was just a wee bit sharp for my ears. Original archtops pick ups were in both, but they sounded kind of thin. So, I sent the purple out to the PTC to have 57/08's installed when they first came out. Made a world of difference. Now, the new ones all have 58/15 LT's in them. Wondering what the difference is, and I am considering having them put in the green one.
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0010-2.jpg
DSC_0050-1.jpg

Oh man, I played by Spruce HB yesterday afternoon for a bit, dialed in a nice jazzy tone and came up with a cool jazzy chord progression. I need to search and see if what I "made" is a common thing, or somewhat unique...might turn it into a song.

Had my '01 Sprucie a long time and it get's gigged regularly! Supposedly, PRS sourced the Englemann spruce from Europe and it's also used in high-end violins. It's very mellow and weighs about 5 lbs.

nnu66LW.jpg

Yours looks like a high-end violin! :eek:
I'm interested in that mellow sound. I'll search what's in the market like this.

I have two HB1's. I just couldn't put up with the flamey arse on the HBII, the tone was just a wee bit sharp for my ears. Original archtops pick ups were in both, but they sounded kind of thin. So, I sent the purple out to the PTC to have 57/08's installed when they first came out. Made a world of difference. Now, the new ones all have 58/15 LT's in them. Wondering what the difference is, and I am considering having them put in the green one.
DSC_0026.jpg
DSC_0010-2.jpg
DSC_0050-1.jpg
How did I miss this purple beauty.

The emerald green top is gorgeous too!

Very lucky guy!!

You’re lucky neither of them are blue, eh @bodia :D:confused:

Back