Introducing the New S2 Series - Made In Maryland - Starting at $1,179

Except for one important attribute; namely, the S2s are "real deal" PRS guitars. The SEs are World Musical guitars. That's a huge distinction. Is a Gibson Studio just an American-made Epiphone?

It's really not a huge distinction. Both are made with the same woods, hardware, scale length, designs, etc. I can make the same recipe of chocolate chip cookies in 2 different ovens, but they will still taste the same.

It's really not a huge distinction. Both are made with the same woods, hardware, scale length, designs, etc. I can make the same recipe of chocolate chip cookies in 2 different ovens, but they will still taste the same.

Challenge accepted, I'll judge.

Gonna need some milk.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;87721 said:
That's a historical guitar. I'm surprised he cut it loose. Congrats!
I agree! I'm surprised he cut it loose then the other guy did too. I just got lucky.

Just because someone makes a point you don't like, doesn't make them a troll.

What you made was a declarative statement based on opinion, repeatedly. We got your opinion.

You've determined it's an American made SE, but I haven't seen a picture of the one you own, or played, or built.

You know, there are a lot of interesting threads here. Many members have some awesome SE mods. There's a song title game. and not least of all, Private Stock Friday.

You might find something interesting enough to post about in one of those. Join the rest of the fun. :biggrin:

For many people, the company that actually built the guitar is a huge deal. PRS is not forcing anyone to purchase an S2. They are merely offering a lower cost Maryland-made alternative to the SEs. There are many guitarists who will not purchase a PRS-branded World Musical Instruments guitar.

As an aside: I remember all of the hate that was directed at PRS when they first introduced the PRS Electric (a.k.a. the CE24). Most guitarists saw the PRS Electric as the SE of the day. People loved how they played, but no one wanted a bolt-on PRS, especially when the retail cost differential between the PRS Electric and a no-frills Custom 24 was around $450.00 to $500.00. What did PRS do in response to lackluster sales? They tweaked the specs, resulting in the CE becoming one PRS' most successful models. The tops on the early maple-topped CEs were nothing to write home about. In fact, some of the tops on the early CEs were butt ugly, but the product improved over time. I suspect that the same thing will happen with the S2 models.

Last edited:
Gonna need some milk.
a_560x375.jpg

yeah, but one may be soft and chewy while the other one is brittle and crumbly. Plus it will be someone else mixing up the other batch. Difference could be night and day.

I own the first SE ever made. Not bashing the guitars, but they are nothing more than american made SE's.

That's an interesting pronouncement to make without ever having played one or seen one in person.

And by "interesting" I don't mean to imply that it's a particularly intelligent thing to say, under circumstances where you have no experience with one whatsoever. And neither do the rest of us.

Last edited:
I have been reading and I have heard about the S2 but has anyone really picked one up yet?

They are due in the stores in early August so only a few here have played or seen one in person yet. The Starla S2 is calling me so I may come back from the Experience with one.

Back