Install push pull tone pot on 2015 custom 24?

Beargrylls21

Hi everyone,

In order to get access to some additional single coil sounds on my custom 24, I’m interested in installing a push/pull tone pot along with the 5 way blade. This would give me the individual single coil bridge and neck sounds. I know PTC has done this mod in the past, but I can’t seem to find a wiring diagram for this mod. Does anyone have a diagram for this modification that they could share? I’m guessing it would mostly entail switching out the tone pot with a push/pull and changing a few wires to the blade, but I’m still very much a beginner at this and would like to be sure before I start. Thanks!

Hey I can try to come up with this and share it with you. Are you looking only for the slug single coils sounds in position 1 and 5 of the blade switch? position 2-4 would basically repeat. Or, what about new positions using the screw single coils and make combination with the Slug one of the other pickup in positions 2-4?

Hey I can try to come up with this and share it with you. Are you looking only for the slug single coils sounds in position 1 and 5 of the blade switch? position 2-4 would basically repeat. Or, what about new positions using the screw single coils and make combination with the Slug one of the other pickup in positions 2-4?
Thanks for the response. Basically, I am wanting to wire it such that when the pot is pulled up, positions 1 and 5 are single pickup screw coils. Positions 2-4 would all be the same. When the pot is pushed in, I would have the regular configuration. Does this make sense?

All right but so you know, in the regular configuration the coil split positions use the slug coils. Let me think about it because I do not see it is as simply as that to be able to split both pickups by using only 1 Push pull pot without affecting the standard behavior of the 5 way switch. Perhaps using two push pull (the other one for vol).

I will think about it because I am also interested now.

I do not know how the PTC did it. Perhaps they completely rewired all the guitar but after having giving it a thought and trying to keep the most of the standard wiring and do not change behavior, below would be the results of adding one or two Push/Pulls for splitting the screw coil and the slug coil. Some repeated combinations and some even muted ones.

x1 DPDT Push/Pull [Splits both HB simultaneously]

(Split Screw Coil)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Screw Coil
2 - Bridge Screw Coil
3 - Bridge Screw Coil + Neck Screw Coil
4 - Mute
5 - Neck Screw Coil

(Split Slug Coil)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Slug Coil
2 - Bridge Slug Coil
3 - Bridge Slug Coil + Neck Slug Coil
4 - Mute
5 - Neck Slug Coil

----------

x2 DPDT Push/Pull [Splits each HB independently] - This option allows Neck HB and Bridge Single coil position when ON(B)/OFF(N)

(Split Screw Coil) ON(B)/ON(N)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Screw Coil
2 - Bridge Screw Coil + Neck Screw Coil
4 - Neck Screw Coil
5 - Neck Screw Coil

(Split Slug Coil) ON(B)/ON(N)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Slug Coil
2 - Bridge Slug Coil + Neck Slug Coil
4 - Neck Slug Coil
5 - Neck Slug Coil

Last edited:
All right but so you know, in the regular configuration the coil split positions use the slug coils. Let me think about it because I do not see it is as simply as that to be able to split both pickups by using only 1 Push pull pot without affecting the standard behavior of the 5 way switch. Perhaps using two push pull (the other one for vol).

I will think about it because I am also interested now.
Thanks. Really appreciate the input. I should clarify; it’s fine with me if the mod results in the blade splitting to the screw coil instead of the slug. I prefer that sound anyway, and it should simplify the wiring.

Thanks. Really appreciate the input. I should clarify; it’s fine with me if the mod results in the blade splitting to the screw coil instead of the slug. I prefer that sound anyway, and it should simplify the wiring.
I do not know how the PTC did it. Perhaps they completely rewired all the guitar but after having giving it a thought and trying to keep the most of the standard wiring and do not change behavior, below would be the results of adding one or two Push/Pulls for splitting the screw coil and the slug coil. Some repeated combinations and some even muted ones.

x1 DPDT Push/Pull [Splits both HB simultaneously]

(Split Screw Coil)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Screw Coil
2 - Mute
4 - Mute
5 - Neck Screw Coil

(Split Slug Coil)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Slug Coil
2 - Bridge Slug Coil
4 - Mute
5 - Neck Slug Coil

----------

x2 DPDT Push/Pull [Splits each HB independently] - This option allows Neck HB and Bridge Single coil position when ON(B)/OFF(N)

(Split Screw Coil) ON(B)/ON(N)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Screw Coil
2 - Bridge Screw Coil + Neck Screw Coil
4 - Neck Screw Coil
5 - Neck Screw Coil

(Split Slug Coil) ON(B)/ON(N)
Pos:
1 - Bridge Slug Coil
2 - Bridge Slug Coil + Neck Slug Coil
4 - Neck Slug Coil
5 - Neck Slug Coil
Wow thanks for the detail. Those all sound pretty invasive though. I think I’m shooting mostly just for access to the split individual sounds though.

If it is helpful, here was the response I got on another board.

It should be pretty simple. Move the pickup coil split wire from the blade to the center lug on one side of the push/pull. On the bottom lug, run a jumper back to the switch where the coil split wire was. Connect the top lug to ground or hot, depending on which coil you want active. Repeat on the other row of lugs with the other pickup.

That will give you 7 positions: the regular 5, plus each pickup split. There are a few ways to get creativewith it to end up with 8 differentsounds, but I'll stop there for now.

It should be pretty simple. Move the pickup coil split wire from the blade to the center lug on one side of the push/pull. On the bottom lug, run a jumper back to the switch where the coil split wire was. Connect the top lug to ground or hot, depending on which coil you want active. Repeat on the other row of lugs with the other pickup.

Well this is basically what it must be done. This is the thing, is not as simple as that person says. There is two ways of doing this 1) Spiting before the 5-way selector 2) Spliting and Bypassing the selector.

If you go for 1) then you get the combinations in my previous post when the pot is pulled up.
if you go for 2) then only one push/pull pot will not make the trick as you would be splitting bot HB at the same time effectively giving you pos 4 of the regular wiring. The only way would be with two push/pull pots. Even so, it is not as simple. The problem is that the standard PRS wiring does not permanently connect ground of the Neck HB (it changes with the selector switch), preventing to do option 2. For the Neck HB is all good as it is permanently connected to ground (selector switch moves hot). Edit: Since Hot is permanently connected on the Neck HB, the analogous to what is done on the Bridge HB can be done.

The simplest way in reality to do this is to rewire the guitar with a 3-way selector switch with two push/pull pots. that would give you all combinations like the CU24 08.

Last edited:
Well this is basically what it must be done. This is the thing, is not as simple as that person says. There is two ways of doing this 1) Spiting before the 5-way selector 2) Spliting and Bypassing the selector.

If you go for 1) then you get the combinations in my previous post when the pot is pulled up.
if you go for 2) then only one push/pull pot will not make the trick as you would be splitting bot HB at the same time effectively giving you pos 4 of the regular wiring. The only way would be with two push/pull pots. Even so, it is not as simple. The problem is that the standard PRS wiring does not permanently connect ground of the Neck HB (it changes with the selector switch), preventing to do option 2. For the Neck HB is all good as it is permanently connected to ground (selector switch moves hot).

The simplest way in reality to do this is to rewire the guitar with a 3-way selector switch with two push/pull pots. that would give you all combinations like the CU24 08.
Thanks for the response. So if I am understanding you correctly, if I split before the blade as was suggested by the other poster, I will get the options you mentioned for one push pull pot? If this is true, then those are really the extra tones I am looking for anyway. My plan now is to use one pot to split both pickups to screw coil. Then when the pot is pushed down, I get the regular 5 settings. Does this sound right?

Correct - And you have a bonus KillSwitch in pos 4 :)

To accomplish it, follow what the other poster said but with the following remarks:

Edit: To get Slug coil

Bridge:
SPDT #1
Bottom lug: To 5-way switch where the red wire of PU normally goes.
Center lug: Red wire from PU (coil tap)
Top lug: To 5-way switch where hot wire of PU goes

SPDT #2
Top lug: To 5-way switch where ground wire of PU goes.

Last edited:
Correct - And you have a bonus KillSwitch in pos 4 :)

To accomplish it, follow what the other poster said but with the following remarks:
Bridge:
SPDT #1
Top lug: To 5-way switch where hot wire of PU goes

SPDT #2
Top lug: To 5-way switch where ground wire of PU goes.
Good deal. Thanks for the clarification. Looking forward to trying this out.

To get Screw coil.

Bridge:
SPDT #1
Top lug: To 5-way switch where Ground wire of PU goes

SPDT #2
Top lug: To 5-way switch where HOT wire of PU goes.

See post above of combinations, I had made a mistake for pos 2. It does not mute. Only pos 4 mutes.

To get Screw coil.

Bridge:
SPDT #1
Top lug: To 5-way switch where Ground wire of PU goes

SPDT #2
Top lug: To 5-way switch where HOT wire of PU goes.

See post above of combinations, I had made a mistake for pos 2. It does not mute. Only pos 4 mutes.
Hi @cags12,

Just about to get started on this mod. However as I think about your procedure above, I think I am getting confused as to why the wiring on the top lug of the push pull pot would not be reversed from your description to activate the screw coils on each pickup.

For the bridge pickup, the black hot wire controls the outer coil. Would I not want to wire the top lug to the hot wire to get screw coil?

Likewise for the neck pickup, shouldn’t I wire from top lug to the black ground wire?

So essentially wire from the top lug to the black wire of each pickup, respectively?

Sorry for what is likely a noob question. Just wanting to make sure I am clear on this before diving in. Thanks.

The reason is you need to complete the circuit so you get audio. You are right that the HOT wire of the Bridge PU corresponds to the HOT of the screw coil, this wire would remain connected at all times from pos 1-4 completing the circuit. However, you need to tie the RED wire to ground to complete the circuit if you want to get the screw coil sound alone. Analogously, for the neck you need to tie RED tap to HOT.

If you do what you described you would end up getting the SLUG coil sounds, not the screw coil sounds. I'll later upload a diagram of the PRS wiring with a Schaller megaswitch I made some time ago where everything gets clearer.

The reason is you need to complete the circuit so you get audio. You are right that the HOT wire of the Bridge PU corresponds to the HOT of the screw coil, this wire would remain connected at all times from pos 1-4 completing the circuit. However, you need to tie the RED wire to ground to complete the circuit if you want to get the screw coil sound alone. Analogously, for the neck you need to tie RED tap to HOT.

If you do what you described you would end up getting the SLUG coil sounds, not the screw coil sounds. I'll later upload a diagram of the PRS wiring with a Schaller megaswitch I made some time ago where everything gets clearer.
Thanks @cags12. This makes sense. Yes a wiring diagram would be helpful. I’ll probably get started on this on Tuesday, so having something to work from would be useful. Thanks again.

I just modified my diagram to include the DPDT switch. Is not the fancies one (made it in paint) but it makes the point. Please note that I based the wiring color on a PRS document. Not sure if it was old or current so please follow the Plus' (HOT) and Minus' (GROUND).
HH_Y2%20-%20PRS-3.png

BTW - The 5-way switch might look weird there as if it were 2. Well, the diagram was from a Schaller megaswitch which is multi-pole. In reality is only one physical switch.

Back