Incoming!!!

Brad737

This space for rent...
I'm still in shock, but I just bought another used guitar...a 1985 Vintage Yellow Custom!!! I'm absolutely thrilled!

x0mHOru.jpg

8b2uEnS.jpg

Last edited:
You should be thrilled that's a gorgeous 85!Welcome to the VY85 club.
Ric

Well, I do have an update. She finally arrived! :D The seller did a pretty good job describing her. While she isn't in mint condition, she's a solid 8.5 or 9 on a 10 scale. The only issues were a non-original neck pickup, which I was able to replace with a 1st-year Stamped B I had in my parts bin, and non-original speed knobs. (I think anyway...not sure.) Anyway, I now have her back to spec. What an incredible guitar!

1985PaulReedSmithCustom.jpg

One thing that struck me is how the finish on the back has sort of sunken into the wood. Maybe you can tell from these pics:

P1060486.jpg

P1060485.jpg

I'm a big fan of the abalone Birds on the Brazilian rosewood fretboard:
P1060494.jpg

She weighs in at 8.2 lbs on my bathroom scale...just right. I'm really surprised at the difference in tone between this 85 and my 1986 Custom. The 85 isn't as bright as the 86. She SCREAMS. Paul definitely picked some killer wood for this guitar. I'm going to have to fight the urge to replace the pickups though. I like the tone of this guitar a lot. But I have a set of Dragon 1s with zebra coils. I just think that would LOOK incredible with the Vintage Yellow finish. I know, blasphemy. :)

Back