Incoming NGD: 1986 PRS Standard 24

rmg471

All:

I’ve always wanted a guitar built in my birth year, and I finally found one. A 1986 Standard 24 in Antique Cherry finish.

It has the T and B pickups, wing tuners, and sweet switch. I’ve never had a guitar with any of those. I’m excited to try it out!

Does anyone know what to check out on these older PRS Guitars? Is the finish nitro?

Any tips or tricks for the old school guitars are appreciated!

-Ryan

Congrats on your find, I don't know much about this model, except it's fantastic
so I'm looking forward to see the pictures, Pronto :D

Reactions: jxe
Got it all “polished” up just in time for practice tonight. I’ll take pics and post this evening. I think I’ve got the wing tuners figured out. I did put new strings on. Gave it a full (and I mean full!) setup. Truss rod, string height, intonation, pickup height, and floated the tremolo (which works great!).

This thing is definitely player grade, which is fine. It’s been played so much that, though the frets are original, they are very worn. Also, the fretboard has grooves worn in between the strings. I’m talking noticeable grooves.

Someone loved this one for many, many years.

Birth Year!! 1986 ? Damn I was in my second year of college...... SH@T I'm old!! Congrats
You're old?!?!?!?!:rolleyes: You were in your second year of college? I was through undergraduate school, through graduate school and employed for a decade!:eek:

This thread has no purpose other than a way for @rmg471 to slap (electronically) all us geezers in the face:mad:

Ryan, I have been looking, not hard, but slightly for a pre-CBS (early 60's) Fender Strat. Someday I'd like to find one. I played a Fender Bass in a band in high school. And now that I'm trying to play guitar (6 string) I'd like to find a Fender from my high school years. So I do appreciate what you're doing. Enjoy your find and let's see those pictures.

Last edited:
All:

I’ve always wanted a guitar built in my birth year, and I finally found one. A 1986 Standard 24 in Antique Cherry finish.

It has the T and B pickups, wing tuners, and sweet switch. I’ve never had a guitar with any of those. I’m excited to try it out!

Does anyone know what to check out on these older PRS Guitars? Is the finish nitro?

Any tips or tricks for the old school guitars are appreciated!

86 I was between wives. Great score
-Ryan

Back