Importing a used core from Japan to US

WD 3D

Green is the new blue...
Does anyone know about the duty/import fee situation? Is it basically a crapshoot depending on which interpretation of the rules you get from the official who happens to get your case? I've read that if it is clearly marked as MFG in USA for country of origin, then there are no duties?

Anyone know for certain?

And this was shipped my way from Japan this morning... 25th Anniv Santana 10 top. Got it for about 60% of what they were asking just a couple months ago (on both Reverb and Ebay). Guess patience paid off this time.

toYdkcs.png

Doing this from memory. It's been a LONG time since I had to know anything about importation duty:

Technically, you only need to pay duty on any improvements that would have occurred while in Japan. Technically, if they did a setup, you would have to pay duty on the value of the setup.

You are required to have documentation showing the value and makeup of the item when it left the US and when it returned to the US. The seller should have all required documentation, and since the guitar originated in the US, there should be no issues. Of course, US Customs isn't terribly easy to deal with, and they LOVE holding up anything that's made of wood and questioning it ad nauseum.

I ordered a PRS from Canada. US Customs held the guitar and demanded that I fill out paperwork describing the common name and scientific name for every wood variety in the instrument and the amount of each variety of wood (by weight and volume). They said if I didn't fill out this paperwork, the item would be returned to the shipper. Good times.

Well hopefully I get off with no additional cost then... guess we'll see soon when it hits the states.

Nice to know that it isn't just Canadian customs that are a$$holes.

One day at the customs office...

“So, Mr. Doe, I see on your application for the position of Customs Inspector that you have a PhD in the identification and use of wood species.”

“Yes, that’s correct.”

“Did you ever obtain a degree in Being An A$$hole?”

“Why no, I didn’t.”

“I’m sorry, but that’s a prerequisite for service in the Customs Department. See, it says so right here in Section 1,976, Paragraph Two, Subsection 6 (b) (24) (iii) in the Code of Federal Regulations and Other Stuff We Can Do To Make Your Life Miserable. I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to take the required course, unless you have applicable work experience.”

“What other experience would apply?”

“Well, have you ever been, say, a prison warden?”

“No.”

“High school guidance counselor?”

“Sorry, no.”

“Drill sergeant?”

“I haven’t.”

“Terrorist?”

“Only as a hobby.”

“What about...Member...of the Spanish Inquisition?”

Last edited:
And so it begins... got this today when I woke up - a message from the seller

"I'm sorry. I shipped the item but it stopped at customs in Japan due to lack of documentation, it will take some time before delivery.
I will contact you as soon as I understand it in detail."

Lack of docs? Ugh... the store on Reverb had over 150 guitars up for sale, member for over a year and a half with pretty sterling feedback. I figured they were pro's at this international shipping thing by now. We'll see how long this takes to sort out.

One day at the customs office...

“So, Mr. Doe, I see on your application for the position of Customs Inspector that you have a PhD in the identification and use of wood species.”

“Yes, that’s correct.”

“Did you ever obtain a degree in Being An A$$hole?”

“Why no, I didn’t.”

“I’m sorry, but that’s a prerequisite for service in the Customs Department. See, it says so right here in Section 1,976, Paragraph Two, Subsection 6 (b) (24) (iii) in the Code of Federal Regulations and Other Stuff We Can Do To Make Your Life Miserable. I’m sorry, but you’re going to have to take the required course, unless you have applicable work experience.”

“What other experience would apply?”

“Well, have you ever been, say, a prison warden?”

“No.”

“High school guidance counselor?”

“Sorry, no.”

“Drill sergeant?”

“I haven’t.”

“Terrorist?”

“Only as a hobby.”

“What about...Member...of the Spanish Inquisition?”

You forgot “lawyer” and “insurance agent.”

"I'm sorry. I shipped the item but it stopped at customs in Japan due to lack of documentation, it will take some time before delivery.

Lack of docs? Ugh... the store on Reverb had over 150 guitars up for sale, member for over a year and a half with pretty sterling feedback. I figured they were pro's at this international shipping thing by now. We'll see how long this takes to sort out.

It may be nothing. I had a similar situation from Germany, but it got sorted out without much delay. How did you pay? PayPal protection?

It may be nothing. I had a similar situation from Germany, but it got sorted out without much delay. How did you pay? PayPal protection?
Yup, I am covered that way, I just lack patience waiting for anything. What's funny is that the first core I intended on getting once I started rebuilding my herd this year was a Santana... and I've acquired 7 others before it.

And in other breaking news, water is wet and the sun rose in the East.

CITES is no joke, and Customs all over the world are looking at guitars closely since it's known they routinely are made from exotic woods. I hope it gets cleared up soon. Hopefully the folks in Japan have all of the documentation needed. Don't be surprised if Customs also holds the item after it lands in the US and does a very close "look-see" at the paperwork.

Well, Japan customs returned the shipment back to the originating shipper... who redid the documentation package and sent it on its way today for try #2. They're using EMS post so you don't get any forecasts of delivery times, just milestone postings when it passes along the route. Last shipment took 24 hours from original posting to hit Tokyo and then 12 hours after that to get to Japanese customs and get swatted down like someone driving the paint on LeBron James. We'll see if we make it out of Japan early next week... and then on to US customs!

Back