I'm kind of freaking out.

Oscarito

Hello everyone I'm new to PRS. I've been traditionally a Strat guy but have been really craving a mahogany set neck dual HB guitar. I went to the local GC and played two Jade green PRSs, a 10 top CU24 and a regular CU24. I loved the the look and color of both and the sound was great-the sound I have been imagining in my head I wanted to hear.

One of them played and felt better in my hand and the other was kind of "big". So I find the exact same guitar on Reverb, 10 top 2016 at $1K less and no tax so awesome I pull the trigger. Being new to PRS I didn't know there are different neck profiles, just thought they were all 25" scale with 10" radius. So the neck I played in the store was the regular and I'm now getting a "thin". To add prospective my current player is a Suhr classic pro.

Im waiting on the guitar to get here, seems like forever, but am I just going to absolutely hate this guitar and beat myself up for not overpaying for the guitar in the store? The easy thing is just to ship it back and eat the 10% return cost, but still a rough lesson. I guess I'm just venting here, hopefully I love it, I really want to love it.

If you are unhappy, you can always resell it. If it was a decent deal you likely wont lose any money, except for shipping costs.

Don't panic. Get it in your hands 1st and you may love it. Or it might be almost perfect, and start you on the quest for another PRS.

They're like potato chips, you can't have just one. ;)

I ordered a brand new PRS without even playing it, after 8 months it has turned out better than the higher end of my expectations. My experience with them says you will more than likely be happy with it.

You say that one of the two you played felt "big", and the one you are getting was a "thin" neck. I think you are safe. There are only two neck shapes for almost all Cu24's. Pattern regular and Pattern thin. It is likely you played both at the GC and if one felt big to you, you probably liked the thin one better and you are getting the thin.

You will most likely be happy.

I have 4 different PRS guitars with 4 different necks. ALL are great! I don't even worry about it anymore. I find one with the features I want, I'm buying it. Not worrying about that. And I'm ALL about the feel and playability!

Every PRS I have has a different neck. The only neck profile I don`t like is the one I don`t have. Get ready to be amazed.

Last edited:
There are two types of guitarists in this world -- those that mind a thin neck, and those that don't.

I mean, there are many other polarizing issues, this is just one of them. I wouldn't worry about it until you've received it and have a chance to try it. You may be fine with it. I haven't settled on a neck profile, myself, yet.

But for future reference -- yes, absolutely, if one of the guitars spoke to you more, you should have gotten that one. Always.

You say that one of the two you played felt "big", and the one you are getting was a "thin" neck. I think you are safe. There are only two neck shapes for almost all Cu24's. Pattern regular and Pattern thin. It is likely you played both at the GC and if one felt big to you, you probably liked the thin one better and you are getting the thin.

You will most likely be happy.

+1

The "thin" PRS profiles aren't vastly thinner than the regular/pattern/wide fat etc. profiles. I have a wide/thin and can tell the difference, but I still like it, as well as the chunkier PRS shapes. Not like you'll be going to a Wizard neck or something like that. I think you'll like it.

Some people are more sensitive to neck size than others. It took me a long time to get used to a Wide/Fat after starting on a Wide/Thin. The Al Di carve (pattern regular?) turned out to be my favorite but now I can play any of the PRS profiles without too much trouble.

I'd suggest that even if it's a little uncomfortable to begin with, give it a chance for a couple weeks before making the final decision.

I think you should panic.

There's entertainment value in panic.

Plus I can buy it from you at an even better discount...

The "thin" PRS profiles aren't vastly thinner than the regular/pattern/wide fat etc. profiles. I have a wide/thin and can tell the difference, but I still like it, as well as the chunkier PRS shapes. Not like you'll be going to a Wizard neck or something like that. I think you'll like it.

Exactly my thought. I have both wide fat and pattern thin. They are not that different. I also have two Ibanez with wizards and have played wizards forever. Definitely the PRS "thin" is a medium.

Back