I'm Amp-Switching Bonkers.

László

Too Many Notes
So I've been back to playing now that I'm out of the cast. One of the things I did recently was set up a Lehle 1 at 3 switch box that lets me send the signal to 3 amps. I have it set up to simply switch between them (there are other options as well, such as having various combinations on/off).

So, as with a pedal, one stomp and I'm connected to a different amp. Now the reason I did this was to make sessions go faster for ad projects. But I haven't been busy with ad work since my surgery, so lately what I've been doing is just switching between the damned amps like a kid switching between pedals - simply to have fun with different tones.

And I gotta say, even though it's fun, when I'm not recording, or performing, it's making me feel pretty silly to just sit around and change amps while practicing. But I can't stop! Gaaaahhhh!

Today I was literally tap dancing between amps just enjoying myself and probably driving my wife and the neighbors completely insane. There's no reason to do this just to practice and exercise my hand and brain.

And yet...

All I can say is that it's a good thing I don't have more amps and pedals to work with, because I'm pretty sure I'd never get out of the studio even for five minutes of sleep, eating, or exercise.

One thing I regularly do with my music software is cull out the effects I'm not regularly finding useful, same with synths. I used to do this with my hardware, too, back in the hardware days.

But amps? I can't stop. Tap, tap, tap, tap....it's a VERY good thing I'm not into modelers.

Kid in a candy store! Besides, it keeps you engaged. Nothing wrong with that. Have at, I say!

Kid in a candy store! Besides, it keeps you engaged. Nothing wrong with that. Have at, I say!

You're right. I'm a big, overgrown 12 year old with his first guitar and a few pedals. Except unlike the 12 year old, I'm losing my hair, drink coffee when I can sneak it past my wife, and need a shave.

The weird thing is that I don't switch between guitars at all. I usually use one for however long I practice and work out ideas, though I rotate them daily.

But the amps, I'm switching those guys in and out like crazy the whole time.

I do not know why. I just like to hear the various tones. I know they're going to sound just like they did two minutes ago. But I seem to need to go back and forth just for the ear candy experience.

I am certifiably nuts!

I was at it again today. I figured it was a good time to listen for amp/guitar matches and differences, and re-assess all of the combinations I had previously thought worked best.

I didn't solve a damn thing, though.

On the contrary, all of the guitars sound equally great with all of the amps. Picking a preferred combination of guitar and amp is proving relatively random, mood-dependent, and song-dependent.

This, of course, is probably as it should be.

But in any case, I no longer have favorite amp/guitar combinations. They all work equally well, and it simply depends on what I'm going for in the first five minutes I'm thinking about it. After five minutes, I'm just concentrating on making music and no longer thinking about TONEZ. ;)

Ok. So, now that you've got this task scratched off your list, what's this crap about you not coming out in June to hang out with your buddies??!! HUH??!! It seems logical that we need to go talk to Doug & Company about a whole bunch of things, like, something Vox-y? ;) Recheck your schedule. No pressure. :D

Ok. So, now that you've got this task scratched off your list, what's this crap about you not coming out in June to hang out with your buddies??!! HUH??!! It seems logical that we need to go talk to Doug & Company about a whole bunch of things, like, something Vox-y? ;) Recheck your schedule. No pressure. :D

I sure wish I could. But I'm throwing a wedding in July.

Orders is orders. ;)

It's all good, bud! The stress of a wedding is crazy and you getting a vacation just before the event would probably result in missing limbs. ;)

Anyhoo...I've got a tube issue to bounce off you guys and need to find the right thread...

Sounds like good fun Les! I feel like I want one of those pedals now. I'd have to buy another amp though. I need a damn combo of some sort that's not obnoxious to move. All my amps in one room at home and last night I found myself home alone, watching the NFL draft and playing unplugged. WTF is that?!?! Home alone and no amplification near a TV? :mad:

Sounds like good fun Les! I feel like I want one of those pedals now. I'd have to buy another amp though. I need a damn combo of some sort that's not obnoxious to move. All my amps in one room at home and last night I found myself home alone, watching the NFL draft and playing unplugged. WTF is that?!?! Home alone and no amplification near a TV? :mad:

Heh! Are you a Packers fan? How'd they do?

I remember being a little kid, and you could go to a Lions game with a very good chance they'd win. That lasted...not long. Not long at all.

:(

Back