idea and recommendation for new thread

docbennett

Banned
I know that prior posts have indicated that "sale threads" can be found at alternative sites. How about a category in which owners of (exclusively) PRS instruments can post and describe a guitar (or amp) that is "for sale" without any pricing....just a list of PRS "vintage or used gear" with a link to the owner's contact information...no sales information on the post/thread and the post is deleted when the item is no longer available. Exclusively limited to PRS gear, and a matching "WTB" thread as well. Sort of a trading post where people who have PRS stuff can contact one another to make a transaction. Different from other forums in that the gear is limited to PRS and no prices are allowed...just contact information to reach the owner.

I think this would make this forum more conducive to those who are very much into trading and moving our gear around.

Let's see...manufacturer in business of selling NEW instruments...might prefer not to host a site to compete with their dealer network? Just a thought.

Let's see...manufacturer in business of selling NEW instruments...might prefer not to host a site to compete with their dealer network? Just a thought.

The manufacturer also set up a forum to meet the needs of their extremely dedicated and loyal supporters. The used market is alive and flourishing. Don't see this as true "competition"...those who want new buy it..those who can't, or who are seeking a specific (often discontinued) model tend to look at the used market. Why not make it a small profit center for the PRS company and accommodate buyers at the same time??

I could even envision is scenario in which PRS serves as the intermediary and collects a small fee for each transaction that is completed though this forum. The used market is PRS's biggest source of competition for their new guitars anyway...so, instead of ignoring the 800 lb gorilla in the room, maybe they could buy it a comfortable cage and make it happy.

Here is my proposed new profit center, as thoughts crystallize after Les' post above.

Basically, PRS sets up a new profit center...we'll call it the "Vintage PRS dept". Sellers consign their guitars to this department. PRS can, at sellers option, tweak or otherwise refurbish the guitar through PTC at either an upfront cost, or fees come out of sale proceeds.

PRS would be responsible for listing the guitars on the forum...all inquires go through PRS...i.e. staff member who is in charge of the "Vintage Sales dept". Once sold, the seller gets a percentage of total proceeds and PRS gets the rest....with fees designed to compete with other 3rd party sale hosts, like Ebay.

Logical extensions include giving the seller the option of relinquishing the guitar to the "vintage sales dept." entirely for a credit towards a new PRS product. Then, the gross proceeds of all sales go to PRS. These credits are honored by all PRS authorized dealers and are redeemed for cash or towards inventory by dealers on a quarterly basis...done in a way so as to make dealers WANT to participate and not see this as competition.

Let me be the first to offer my candidacy for this exciting new position. Which, by the way...is a commission only position based upon successful sales....and can be done off-site from a remote location. PRS...any further questions on the development of this exciting new profit center...please feel free to contact me at your convenience. :D

Last edited:
I think that your idea is brilliant! You must have a marketing background. This concept has been used in other markets with new product, helping to move inventory faster. It should work perfectly with high quality used product. I hope that you are attending the Experience, as I'd like to meet.

I think that your idea is brilliant! You must have a marketing background. This concept has been used in other markets with new product, helping to move inventory faster. It should work perfectly with high quality used product. I hope that you are attending the Experience, as I'd like to meet.

Can't get to experience this year....hoping perhaps one day....I think my experience as a consulting psychologist with a special background in Industrial/Organizational (complements my forensic specialty) makes me think of these things. I've never met a business that couldn't benefit from a "tweak".

I guess, for many years, I did for businesses what the PTC does for "under-performing guitars". A tweak here.....a tweak there....changing the way the professional practice (or company) presents itself to the public...or offering a new or somewhat different product line or profit center does wonders for a stagnant companhy, Only "problem" is that PRS inc. is far from stagnant...they continually grow and expand. They are probably not interested in these kind of recommendations...but, I get excited just thinking about implementing something like this into the product line. In any event, thanks so much for the kind words.

(PS...you don't know how many times I've copped your phrase "I collect tone" when my wife comments on my guitar and amp collection) :D

Here is my proposed new profit center, as thoughts crystallize after Les' post above.

Basically, PRS sets up a new profit center...we'll call it the "Vintage PRS dept". Sellers consign their guitars to this department. PRS can, at sellers option, tweak or otherwise refurbish the guitar through PTC at either an upfront cost, or fees come out of sale proceeds.

PRS would be responsible for listing the guitars on the forum...all inquires go through PRS...i.e. staff member who is in charge of the "Vintage Sales dept". Once sold, the seller gets a percentage of total proceeds and PRS gets the rest....with fees designed to compete with other 3rd party sale hosts, like Ebay.

Logical extensions include giving the seller the option of relinquishing the guitar to the "vintage sales dept." entirely for a credit towards a new PRS product. Then, the gross proceeds of all sales go to PRS. These credits are honored by all PRS authorized dealers and are redeemed for cash or towards inventory by dealers on a quarterly basis...done in a way so as to make dealers WANT to participate and not see this as competition.

Let me be the first to offer my candidacy for this exciting new position. Which, by the way...is a commission only position based upon successful sales....and can be done off-site from a remote location. PRS...any further questions on the development of this exciting new profit center...please feel free to contact me at your convenience. :D

That is a stunning idea! I would be all in!

Thanks back at you Doc. I have been looking for a 12-step program for either amps or guitars, but they are really only symptoms of the bigger problem: Tone Addiction.

Well, we certainly live in a world of shifting paradigms, and this is certainly a creative idea, but I don't see it happening.

It's a little too far from PRS' model as a wholesaler to dealers.

The closest model for your idea that I've seen is certain auto manufacturers' "certified" used car sales, and those are still conducted through the dealer networks. The manufacturers make money by owning some of the finance companies, but they're in the finance business anyway.

Imagine the headaches PRS would take on for nickel and dime fees, with people complaining about what they bought, and demanding warranty fixes, and deals gone bad, and a zillion other things.

Plus in a slow time, imagine PRS being stuck with a whole bunch of used "inventory" that they have to turn around and credit to dealer sales? Come on. No way on Earth that's going to happen.

It creates more fun opportunities for hobbyists like you, but even you have numerous other outlets for buying and selling without a fee attached, such as TGP and VR. I don't see it being worth the headache for a small company like PRS. And since you have so many other outlets, why do you feel you need this?

Never gonna happen. ;)

Last edited:
Well, we certainly live in a world of shifting paradigms, and this is certainly a creative idea, but I don't see it happening.

It's a little too far from PRS' model as a wholesaler to dealers.

The closest model for your idea that I've seen is certain auto manufacturers' "certified" used car sales, and those are still conducted through the dealer networks. The manufacturers make money by owning some of the finance companies, but they're in the finance business anyway.

Imagine the headaches PRS would take on for nickel and dime fees, with people complaining about what they bought, and demanding warranty fixes, and deals gone bad, and a zillion other things.

Not saying it's a good, bad or indifferent idea. It creates more fun opportunities for hobbyists like you, but even you have numerous other outlets for buying and selling without a fee attached, such as TGP and VR. I don't see it being worth the headache for a small company like PRS.

Never gonna happen. ;)

Anyone ever tell you you are a party pooper Les? Granted, AKA a realist. Hey...ya never know.

I'd prefer to be an optimistic dreamer than a pessimistic realist anyway.

You realize that you're saying that to a guy who at the age of 39 quit the law firm he founded to go into the music business and be a composer, right? ;)

Not sure anyone would call that pessimistic realism...

Last edited:
You realize that you're saying that to a guy who at the age of 39 quit the law firm he founded to go into the music business and be a composer, right? ;)

Not sure anyone would call that pessimistic realism...

Disagree, Les. You just belatedly realized that there is absolutely no money to be made in the practice of Law, and tons of money to be made as a fledgling in the music industry.

Everyone knows that. :p

Now, shut the f-k up...you are killing my chances of getting this job. :mad:

:D:D:D

At some point, we're going to have to rent sumo fat suits and set up a ring at Experience.

Disagree, Les. You just belatedly realized that there is absolutely no money to be made in the practice of Law, and tons of money to be made as a fledgling in the music industry.

Everyone knows that. :p

Now, shut the f-k up...you are killing my chances of getting this job. :mad:

:D:D:D

Hey, I'm hoping that in your alternate universe, my Michigan team beats 'Bama tonight! ;)

Pretty sure it isn't gonna happen in this one...

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;20514 said:
At some point, we're going to have to rent sumo fat suits and set up a ring at Experience.

I don't need a suit...

Jamie, working on the weight...

Hey, I'm hoping that in your alternate universe, my Michigan team beats 'Bama tonight! ;)

Pretty sure it isn't gonna happen in this one...

My universe is pretty much the same as yours, Les.

From Yahoo Sports:

"There was so much hype around the Week 1 matchup between the No. 2 ranked Alabama Crimson Tide and the No. 8 Michigan Wolverines that there was no way this game would disappoint, right?
After the Crimson Tide issued a beatdown of the Wolverines to the tune of 41-14, we learned a lot about both programs and what we can expect from them in 2012.
It’s incorrect to doom Michigan because of their poor showing in Week 1, because some teams just start slow. While the Wolverines looked terrible, Alabama picked up where it left off and looks like a BCS National Championship contender again.
College football fans learned much about these two teams Saturday, but be warned: The truth isn’t always pretty."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...hat-we-learned-from-saturdays-marquee-matchup

Back