I think I am. ....

I hate playing in guitar stores, and I hate having a salesman hover while I'm trying something out. As soon as somebody stops to watch or listen, I'll forget how the d@mn song goes, it's beyond mental at this point!
Same here.
I can jump around, play, sing, make jokes on stage at a gig. But I freeze up in the store.
And DO NOT ask me to do karaoke!!!

I hate playing in guitar stores, and I hate having a salesman hover while I'm trying something out. As soon as somebody stops to watch or listen, I'll forget how the d@mn song goes, it's beyond mental at this point!
I don't mind any more. I don't go back to stores where a salesman hovers though - unless they have something I really want that nobody else has. The stores I go to, the staff will pop by periodically to see what I'm up to, maybe bring by something else I might like to try.
I don't play songs that people know, so it doesn't matter if I forget something. I can just go with the flow. There are a few things I generally play while trying out a guitar:
- a Carulli waltz - nobody knows it, so I can get the sequence in the 4th part wrong, if I even get that far
- a very wide variation of the chord sequences in Girl From Ipanema - I call it Stolen Girl, because I stole the progression, but the original isn't really recognizable
- chromatic arpeggios - as long as the left hand gets the shape right, the right hand can do whatever it wants
- some textured strumming with DGA variations (or CAmG…), musical, but not any particular song
- A drone with melody on the D&G string - probably only on an acoustic
- maybe some lead using just the high E - for reasons unknown I feel this helps me identify a strat characteristic I like

but...the point is, I don't play anything that somebody could be sure I made a mistake in and consider me unworthy of buying the guitar I want

Same here.
I can jump around, play, sing, make jokes on stage at a gig. But I freeze up in the store.
And DO NOT ask me to do karaoke!!!
Funny isn't it.
It's much easier to make a joke, than be the joke.

I might have benefited from the first music store I spent very much time in being owned by the guy who hired me to play in his band.

A few comments;

1. There are a lot of great players that don't think they are "that good". This is part of the reason they are so good - They are always trying to better themselves & they put the time in.
2. For me one of the big AHA moments was being able to see more than just scales when soloing (see chords or chord fragments and really understand what chord is being played "now" and what chord is coming next). This holds true for all but the fastest up tempo stuff that I play - on songs that are very fast - Then I fall back on the basic licks that I know will work (the few I know as well), which is why I am nowhere near is good as the great players out there
3. If you think it is an AHA moment, then it is!

Last edited:
Back