I Think I’m At The Point Where...

Playing with other musicians is one of my most fav things in life. Playing live with other musicians can be the absolute biggest kick in the pants while keeping the previously mentioned pants on. However, I don’t like the drama that develops due to unrealistic expectations, lack of commitment, lack of common sense/courtesy, or otherwise other flamboyant douchebaggery. When I owned my own company, hiring employees was the most difficult and time consuming task because I refused to allow an incompatible personality to poison the well. Same thing with bands, and my current band is looking like I have to take over the reins if it is to continue. This is where fun turns into business and that might not be what I want to do.

Serg, if you have to compromise values or comfort to make it work, then dump it. Something else will come down the road later in life. And even if it does, it may not stay that way for long because you just can’t keep a good band together. There are other things you can do with your creativity and I may just post about one of my recent experiences.

I'm not compromising any values but, the comfort thing... yeah.

Maybe it's just because I spent five nights this week tracking drums as an engineer and having to play the "dad" role? Telling people to turn off fans, don't move the microphones, scolding people for moving the microphones that I told them not to move, etc.etc.

They're super talented and great guys, like I said, it's me not them. They're just regular band guys that do regular band guy stuff, I think I just haven't been retired long enough to be jazzed about it.

Okay, and it is a little bit about them, they don't sound like Kool & the Gang or Gap Band so....

chicago really does have everything. (i would listen to a darkwave spanish language kool wind and fire, if there was at least a sax-ish guitar player.)

Not anymore, unfortunately a couple guys left... including the trumpet player.

With the new guys the sound has changed a bit. After the first show since reforming I've had a few non-musician friends refer to us as: A jam band or my personal favorite.. a Mexican Emo band. :oops:

“MexEmo”...
LMAO!!!

As I was reading you're post just now...I wasn't even able collect my thoughts long enough to comprehend what you wrote...I was too busy trying to imagine how AWESOME that concept would be...ya gotta admit...with the right marketing strategy and some of Sergios magic...pffttt...sign me up...thats a winner! Home boy is a genius! Parliment of Funk meets E.W&F meets Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass meets The Cure! Mind blown!!!:eek::eek::eek:

Last edited:
As I was reading you're post just now...I wasn't even able collect my thoughts long enough to comprehend what you wrote...I was too busy trying to imagine how awsome that concept would be...ya gotta admit...with the right marketing strategy and some of Sergios magic...pffttt...sign me up...thats a winner! Home boy is a genius! Parliment of Funk meets E.W&F meets Herb Albert and the Tiajuana Brass meets The Cure! Mind blown!!!:eek::eek::eek:

It would make sense, Morrisey has a huge following with Mexican teenage boys.

Can I just be geeked about buying a guitar just for the sake of it, without having to do anything productive with it?
That’s in fact the sake, the whole sake, and nothing but the sake. The guitar purists’ purist.

I could and have done something productive on a plain Epiphone. Song quality, skill and recording finesse outweighs instrument quality 20 to 1.

Every Breath You Take will sound radical and ingenious regardless of the instruments used.

Yeah, I gave up "making it" and trying to attract attention a few years ago.

I've played about a dozen gigs a year with friends the last couple years. It's cool and easy, but sometimes the lulls between are too much. I still truly love playing with others.

Now I'm working with some guys on a new blues band. It's pretty much always been my favorite style to play and what comes most naturally to me. We're all in it because we want to be there and we're having a blast. Enjoying yourself is what really matters.

Song quality, skill and recording finesse outweighs instrument quality 20 to 1.

Every Breath You Take will sound radical and ingenious regardless of the instruments used.

Hmm, so what if you don't possess any of these afore mentioned things? Asking for a friend...he's got a good guitar but the rest not so much...o_O

Last edited:
Hmm, so what if you possess any of these afore mentioned things? Asking for a friend...he's got a good guitar but the rest not so much...o_O
Haha I don’t know exactly what happens, cos I don’t have them. I’ve got a friend who really wishes to know too! ;)

Back