I really dig YouTube for guitar lessons

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
I subscribe to proguitarshop.com's YouTube channel and several others.
Friday Andy who works at Pro Guitar Shop in Oregon for his riff of the day did Creams White Room.

I practiced that song most of the weekend and I have it down pretty good.
Another guy I like for online lessons is Marty.

If I get stumped on a song trying to figure it out, I usually look for "how to play (name of song" on YouTube.
Anyone else use Marty and others for lessons?
Here are both vids.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty has helped me out a time or two. I've never seen the first guy... I love youtube! I've actually "learned" more there than anywhere else. I dont even mess with tab books anymore.

Here's one I've been playing around with. I dont have "perfect" yet, but I'm getting it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXsM4OZPrI0

...heres the actual song, in case you've never heard it. Pretty good jam i think ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGl8O9bJEes

Last edited:
Places like Y'tube are the future for guitar lessons or at least an additional resource for learning. One on one with a good teacher is still the best way but Youtube provides a vast and (for now) free resource.

Unfortunately, it's not a particularly friendly place for the tutors (Most of whom are amateurs like myself) as you can have your lessons pulled without warning . Doesn't happen often but there's a handful of artists / publishers, etc who don't like their stuff being tought / covered.

I think it's a good thing though. Kids these days want instant gratification from their social media, games consoles and other gadgets and learning guitar doesn't provide this. So, anything that makes it more interesting and easier for them is a good thing. We need more kids picking up guitar (The guitar manufacturers certainly do!) so anything that helps and gets them to stick at it for the long term...!

Last edited:
Boogey, check out Pro Guitar Shops channel.
Andy use to just demo pedals and guitars, but recently added in the riff of the day vids to give a lesson and pedal demo all in one.

He also hardly ever uses a pick, just his fingers mainly.

One of Marty's "associates" Brent aka "Papastache102" is also really good. He appears to have better chops than Marty and goes into some of the more "interesting" material. It's almost like they have intentionally set up Marty more for "Beginners" and Brent for "intermediates".

Random lesson from him:

I had Judas Priests Living After Midnight in my head yesterday, so I sat down with the new 408 and figured out how to play most of it before I turned to YouTube to watch a few videos on how to play it.
What I like to do is add my own bit of personality to an existing song instead of trying to nail it exactly.
Some of the lessons on YouTube try to teach you note for note, or using a power chord instead of doing an easier barre chord for me which is easier.

Anyways, here are a few more from Andy.

PS, if you watch JP do the song, even they do it a little different than the original, especially with the use of the tremolo bar early in the intro chords at the start.

Thanks for the tips, all. In my experience, I have had no better lessons anywhere (in-person or otherwise) than online with Dave Weiner. His RiffOfTheWeek.com site is absolutely WONDERFUL as far as resources and content, and his online lessons are the best guitar instruction that I have ever had. I have had some great instructors over the years, but the way that Dave is able to articulate concepts to me and give me meaningful practice regimens has be second-to-none.

YouTube is indeed great for finding all kinds of lessons and how-tos for learning songs. In my experience though, you do have to be selective because for every how-to that shows you the CORRECT way to play a song, there are 5 more that aren't anywhere CLOSE LOL!! Ya gotta be careful! I agree that ProGuitarShop and Marty do a real good job. Andy Aledort's stuff has always been dead-on as well.

YouTube is great, but if you want to really "up your game", I can't recommend Dave Weiner and his RiffOfTheWeek.com site highly enough. It's the best resource that I have encountered.

Last edited:
Thanks, I saw his site advertised in one of the guitar mags I sub too, but the other day I inputted riffoftheday.com, and it took me to one of the hosts that said the URL was available if I wanted to buy it.
I guess I inputted the URL wrong :D

I'm working on some new lessons... With my PRS SE's. I've got a few older ones I thought I'd share. Not PRS guitars which is why I was reluctant to post. if it is out of order let me know and I'll remove them.

Jimi Hendrix Little Wing (Intro). Two part lesson in standard tuning. it was in Eb but the consensus seems to be people prefer standard tuning where possible.

The Shadows version of Cavatina:

Finally, Hendrix's brilliant Voodoo Chile from Electric Ladyland. I kept this in the tuning Hendrix used as it's tied in to the overall sound and feel. Step down.

Adding your own personality....

I'd agree with this. I don't think there's anything wrong with learning a tune note for note. Indeed, I'd get ripped apart on Youtube if It wasn't as accurate as possible. But certainly, when you come to perform the piece adding something of your own takes it to a new level and just seems a bit more fun!

I found these videos very thorough for this song, if you can tune out the hum.

Some great videos and stuff here. Most of them are beyond my skill level though, unfortunately... I really need to start over and do things properly. I'm going to see if I can sort out some proper guitar lessons soon.

As well as being somewhat rubbish at guitar, that was made worse when I was knocked off my motorbike. My ring finger was damaged and consequently seized at the first knuckle. I literally cannot bend that finger at all. I'm finding I am gradually getting better at lead work, as I adapt, but chord work is a nightmare and I'm getting dead strings everywhere. I can manage the basic barred majot chords, but other than that I have some serious work to do...

I'll keep checking out the videos though :)

A new one uploaded by PGS.
I have the same DT pedal, it is pretty cool.

Rage Against The Machine - Know Your Enemy Guitar Lesson

This video was in my subs this morning.
Bobby now in including tabs in his online lessons.

TABS AVAILABLE (PRINTABLE)! Plus More Important Info by BobbyCrispy

YouTube is a fantastic resource. No wonder kids seem to pick it up so fast.

I remember waitng for each month's Guitar Player and Rik Emmett's column (the main - or only - rock one) and perhaps a floppy record (like Steve Vai's Flexible). If you wanted to learn a track you wore out a tape trying to pick it up or played the record at 16 rpm. You'd get tips from mates and share the latest bit of Randy Rhoads you'd worked out. Mr Crowley took me forever (and was still never 'right').

The 'official' books that'd accompany albums were bloody useless. Remember Queen's News of the World book having basic, first-position chord shapes. No use at all. Had a Beatles Complete songbook that was better but it still didn't teach you any technique.

God, I'm showing my age....

But you know what? Those of us that learned in that age kind of found our own style a little quicker, even if it was just copying someone else's style. We didn't necessarily obsess with playing it "just like the record" (which is not to say we didn't try like hell). But we also didn't necessarily copy the player's technique (or the less successful version someone had videoed on a smart phone) - we found a way to do it, whether it was the same or completely different.

I spend hours upon hours with the Ozzy albums and a couple Star Licks/Star Jams tapes trying to cop Randy Rhoads' style. I never did get it, either, but I got enough to be happy with what I did.

Kids are picking up technique quickly now, but it's the next step that's crucial. It's one thing to copy David Grissom's solos - it's a whole other thing to come up with a voice like David Grissom's.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to yell at some kids to get off my lawn.

Ha ha. I know those kids....

I have students who say they're keen to learn the guitar but I don't see any of the total absorption I experienced. I needed to know everything I could find out about the guitar. Knew every book my small-town library had on the subject. I obsessed about not so much what notes were being played but how they'd arrived at them; what scales the solos were based on etc. Finding pathways and patterns to take me up and down the neck so I wasn't stuck in any particular area - that kind of thing.

I'm sure there are a good number of youngsters who are as passionate and eager. I just haven't met them yet (and I meet a lot of kids in my job).

Molly.

Back