I need a headphone solution

mad monk

Your father's Oldsmobile
I'm in a volume conundrum. The only time I can play my amps at a usable volume lately is when my wife isn't home. Our work schedules vary, so it can be a while.
Do any of the cab sim / load box headphone units perform well? My Sweet 16 is real sweet cranked, and I need the responsiveness of the amp to the guitar volume pot intact. It's the beauty of the single channel.

I would think the Mesa Boogie would work, as you are still using the actual amp. The only thing you’d lose is the speaker distortion, but everything else would be exactly the same.

I would also recommend trying the Vox amPlug series. I play mostly clean, so I like the Clean, but you may prefer the Metal or the VC30 or even the Night Train.

I've got a line 6 Pocket Pod...for it's size it's petty cool...I mean it's no Kemper or anything...but it gets the job done for just over a 100 bucks.

Instead of trying to get your main rig down to headphone use, how about a dedicated solution. The Yamaha THR10 series is good for this kind of thing. They've got a headphone socket and can run on batteries and don't sound too bad.

I'll add to the list...

1) Via computer, you can get an interface like a Focusrite Scarlet and use amp sims.

2) Via iPhone/iPad, similarly to a computer, you can get an interface such as an iRig and use amp sims. I know there are some options for Android, but fewer than with iOS.

3) I really like the THR10 a ton and it would be my #1, but there are other portable and battery operated amp options that are less costly such as the Katana Mini or the Blackstar Fly.

I’ve got the Mesa Cab Clone. Works fine for me, both into headphones, and for times when I have to record direct without speakers or microphones. When I record with it, I use it along with cabinet impulse responses, but for practice, the headphone jack alone works nicely.

Be aware that the headphone level is controlled with the amp’s volume control. The volume control on the cab clone is for the microphone and line level outputs, i.e., to control the output level going into a recording console or interface, not the output of the headphone jack.

A pricier, and perhaps more flexible, solution is the Universal Audio OX., but it’s over a grand more than the Cab Clone. I’m not sure that’s worth it just for headphone practice. However, if you’re fussy about your practice tone, it seems hard to beat.

There are also load box/impulse response boxes from Two-Notes, and load boxes from Rivera, and others.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Homework time.
There certainly is a wealth of options these days! I'd also add the Atomic amps AA3. Relatively small and cheap, headphone out, and can add a line in for jamming, is meant to sound really good and can also serve as a backup direct to house rig in a pinch. Only downside is it needs to be plugged in (the ability to easily play out in the garden is one of the major pluses for the THR10s).

I bought a used Rivera Rockcrusher Recording.
Although it has no dedicated headphone out (you'd plug the line out to an interface) it does have a nifty 11 band EQ, so you're not stuck with somebody else's idea of what sounds best.

Les, thanks for mentioning the headphone level. That's the fly in the ointment. This is turning out to be more than a simple undertaking. I don't have a DAW option. I'm a digiot (digital idiot). My computer isn't up to the task, and I want to use just my head, pedals, and headphones with the interface between the them.
I may have to settle for an inexpensive floor pedal with a headphone out. Oh well, can't have everything. Where would I put it?
(Steven Wright. I'm not that clever)

Les, thanks for mentioning the headphone level. That's the fly in the ointment. This is turning out to be more than a simple undertaking. I don't have a DAW option. I'm a digiot (digital idiot). My computer isn't up to the task, and I want to use just my head, pedals, and headphones with the interface between the them.
I may have to settle for an inexpensive floor pedal with a headphone out. Oh well, can't have everything. Where would I put it?
(Steven Wright. I'm not that clever)

The Cab Clone does have a headphone out, you don’t need a recording interface.

But you can ALSO use it with a recording interface. It works either way, or both ways at once. Very versatile little box.

But with the headphone level tied to the amps output level, I'd have a hearing problem in short order. Master nearly full, volume at 10:00 to 11:00. That's pretty loud.

But with the headphone level tied to the amps output level, I'd have a hearing problem in short order. Master nearly full, volume at 10:00 to 11:00. That's pretty loud.

You might have to try one to know. I run my master nearly all the way up, too, and volume similar. I had no issues. Lots of Mesa dealers would probably let you return a device that wasn’t working for you, if you were prompt. I’d give them a call.

You can pick up used POD XT live units on Craigslist for $125-150 all day long. They ain't a Kemper or a Helix but they do a pretty good job for headphones or the odd DI gig. I have the Yamaha THR-5, same as the THR-10, just no preset storage, and it's great for low volume picking while watching TV.

I know that you mentioned that you're not a DAW kind of guy but there is one program that I use on my MacBook Pro as both a standalone unit as well as a DAW plug in on Logic Pro X and that's Positive Grid's BIAS FX. It's pretty much a straight up decent amp and pedal simulator that has a lot of options.

You could try a Korg Pandora PX3, very user friendly, about the size of a cassette box (you know those things we used to listen to music on!).

There’s a few on eBay at very reasonable prices.

Back