I might be a ... guitar snob

This may sound a bit squishy but I've had a storybook couple of weeks and frankly can't help it. Maybe it's good to gush a little.

Usually I loathe the thought of an "experience" being invoked, at least in a marketing context. There is an experience to be had with this brand that I haven't encountered though, as a hobbyist musician or retail minion. The mothership provides excellent service and support -- but so do other customers. There was a great sequence of events the other day, from a PRS artist donating a set of pickups on Facebook to upgrade a lucky follower, to people covering each other for parts or replacement items. A member in a certain FB group anonymously donated an SE, to be awarded a suitable recipient in need during the holiday season.

And along the way, I got some great advice from this bunch that helped me cement and snag the perfect guitar. Also got hooked up with the generous offer of another nearly identical axe that'd have been a spectacular used option, in case of budget woes.

So, yeah, there are good brand experiences to be had out there, but this is unlike anything I've run across to date.
Was all this just a coincidental bit of coolness from random people? Maybe. This extends beyond holiday warm-fuzzy feelings though. There are some serious random acts of kindness taking place in the group communities.

Think of all the happy notes to follow, including those which might not have been possible otherwise. That's cool as @#$%.

Make sure you come to the next experience in June in Maryland. It'll add another notch.

I will see if I can get my vacation time to line up with June. If I can, I would love to go. I simply cannot bring home ideas for another PRS though, lol. I dont know if I have the willpower to say no. In fact, I know I dont have the willpower.

Make sure you come to the next experience in June in Maryland. It'll add another notch.

That would be a road trip for the ages.

You may just have to get used to that. The people who hang around this company are generally as cool as @#$%. There are exceptions but they're few and far between.

See, I thought I knew this in advance, but I had no idea how deep the rabbit hole goes...

No doubt that PRS makes a fine instrument. I am only an owner of a SE Custom 24 with Floyd and aftermarket electronics. It’s a great piece. I have played the Core Custom 24s .. yes they are wonderful but for the coin I’ll take an R9 VOS Lemonburst any day. just my .02

No doubt that PRS makes a fine instrument. I am only an owner of a SE Custom 24 with Floyd and aftermarket electronics. It’s a great piece. I have played the Core Custom 24s .. yes they are wonderful but for the coin I’ll take an R9 VOS Lemonburst any day. just my .02

to each his own. I traded R in towards an AP Santana. Couldn't be happier. Less struggle.

What is it about these guitars? I mean really. Its just wood, and some strings. Right? Lol. Most shops have walls of 'decent' and 'average' guitars and these guitars sell well; some can hold a tune, others dont have a chance in hell but they still sell. Has anyone ever discovered a crappy PRS guitar?
You can just tell that Paul cares a great deal about bettering the guitar as an instrument, and also that he takes deadly seriously the reputation attached to his signature on the headstock.

I haven't found one I'd call crappy, but I have played one, a used SC 250 at a GC, that I just didn't bond with. The intonation didn't feel as good as on my EG, and the resonance seemed choked unplugged and it sounded muddy plugged in. In retrospect, I bet it just needed a proper setup and the pickups lowered a bit.

I was waiting for someone to catch that, lol. Here we go (the Cu24 wanted to pose with the sea otter and one of the Queen's men):

G7Bq483.jpg

8vH2wdo.jpg

AefnEhS.jpg
Sweet lord of flame!!

You can just tell that Paul cares a great deal about bettering the guitar as an instrument, and also that he takes deadly seriously the reputation attached to his signature on the headstock.

I haven't found one I'd call crappy, but I have played one, a used SC 250 at a GC, that I just didn't bond with. The intonation didn't feel as good as on my EG, and the resonance seemed choked unplugged and it sounded muddy plugged in. In retrospect, I bet it just needed a proper setup and the pickups lowered a bit.
It’s great to see Paul is passionate about guitars and doesn’t rag on his competitors

I feel the opposite. I might be tempted to take an LP tribute over a PRS S2 but if we're talking anything more than 1400 dollars I'm going to PRS with my money.

(not poopooing the S2, just saying i kind of like the LP tribute and the traditional)

Back