I know this is a dumb question

Chris528

I have a Vox Lil' Night Train head with matching 1x10 cab. I want to upgrade to a 12" cab and found a used Tuxedo 112 cab for the same price as the Vox 112 new. The Tuxedo is 60w and the Vox is 25w so was wondering if I should go with the Vox since the head is only 2w? I also thought the Tuxedo might be better to get so i could eventually get the matching head for it..

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm new to the world of tube amps.

The only thing that is dumb about the question is that the PRS Amps sub-forum is not the place to discuss Vox amps. The sub-forum description is "Discuss PRS Amplifiers, CAD Amplifiers, and PRS SE Amplifiers."

I know that we are all trying to get used to the constrained nature of the official PRS Forum. However, we have to remember that the official PRS Forum is not a general PRS community forum. PRS is footing the bill for what is effectively an extension of the company's marketing department. A better place to ask non-PRS amp-related questions is Vintage Rocker. Many of the members this forum are also members of Vintage Rocker. Out of respect for PRS, I have refrained from answering non-PRS amp-related questions in this sub-forum. I will gladly answer these types of questions over on Vintage Rocker.

I love the sound of a Vintage AC15. LOVE it.

I am told (by Junior Clark) that the CAD guys have a Voxy/Chimey mod for their amps that might be worth looking into.

Markie has a sweet little Vox (set-up at his place) and it got a workout while I was there last month!

Oh... and no forum police, please. If something crosses the line, we'll handle it.

Last edited:
PRS "30" amp with Vox mod

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;30144 said:
I love the sound of a Vintage AC15. LOVE it.

I am told (by Junior Clark) that the CAD guys have a Voxy/Chimey mod for their amps that might be worth looking into.

Markie has a sweet little Vox (set-up at his place) and it got a workout while I was there last month!

Oh... and no forum police, please. If something crosses the line, we'll handle it.

I have one of the amps that you mentioned. Doug modded the "30" amp head I had in stock. This mod puts it in that AC-30 territory. Very cool amp tones.

The only thing that is dumb about the question is that the PRS Amps sub-forum is not the place to discuss Vox amps. The sub-forum description is "Discuss PRS Amplifiers, CAD Amplifiers, and PRS SE Amplifiers."

I know that we are all trying to get used to the constrained nature of the official PRS Forum. However, we have to remember that the official PRS Forum is not a general PRS community forum. PRS is footing the bill for what is effectively an extension of the company's marketing department. A better place to ask non-PRS amp-related questions is Vintage Rocker. Many of the members this forum are also members of Vintage Rocker. Out of respect for PRS, I have refrained from answering non-PRS amp-related questions in this sub-forum. I will gladly answer these types of questions over on Vintage Rocker.

I only put it in this section because I was looking at the Tuxedo 112. If it was strictly a Vox question I wouldn't have put it in here.

I only put it in this section because I was looking at the Tuxedo 112. If it was strictly a Vox question I wouldn't have put it in here.

You're fine, Chris.

I know that we are all trying to get used to the constrained nature of the official PRS Forum. However, we have to remember that the official PRS Forum is not a general PRS community forum.

WTF? :rolleyes:

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, Mark. For the record, I do not agree with you.

I have one of the amps that you mentioned. Doug modded the "30" amp head I had in stock. This mod puts it in that AC-30 territory. Very cool amp tones.

I could literally hear the "CHA-CHING" sound in my head when I read that, John. I want one!

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;30144 said:

I have no desire whatsoever to be a forum policeman. However, unless I am way out of line, this forum was created specifically to share information about PRS manufactured gear. I doubt that the mods would allow people to post non-PRS guitar-related threads in the PRS guitars sub-forum for long without stepping in. That same courtesy needs to be extended to amps now that PRS is in the amp business. If the mods and PRS management feel that discussing non-PRS gear on the forum is okay (versus threads where non-PRS gear is compared to PRS gear), then there should be a general amps sub-forum in addition to the PRS amps sub-forum. This sub-forum is supposed to be the place to discuss PRS amps.

I understand your point completely. There are many times when I want to answer a non-PRS amp-related question, but refrain from doing so out of respect for PRS. I suspect that many other members are self-censoring as well.

This forum started out as a home for refugees from the Bird and Moons (BaM) forum, which was an outgrowth of the old non-affiliated PRS Forum. BaM was the premier independent forum for PRS gear fanatics. As an independent forum, BaM was a more full-service gear site, which is why you see all of the bellyaching about not having things such as a "classifieds" area on this site. Many of us are still getting used to the different rules.

With that said, Vintage Rocker (VR) also opened its doors to BaM refugees, which is why you will see many of the user names that you see on this forum on VR. You'll get better responses to these kinds of questions if you post them on VR. VR is kind of like a superset of BaM in that it has an adopted BaM community in addition to its original community. However, this forum managed to capture more of the unique PRS-specific culture of the old BaM forum (e.g., this place comes to life like BaM used to do before Experience each year). There is room for both forums.

I have no desire whatsoever to be a forum policeman. However, unless I am way out of line, this forum was created specifically to share information about PRS manufactured gear. I doubt that the mods would allow people to post non-PRS guitar-related threads in the PRS guitars sub-forum for long without stepping in. That same courtesy needs to be extended to amps now that PRS is in the amp business. If the mods and PRS management feel that discussing non-PRS gear on the forum is okay (versus threads where non-PRS gear is compared to PRS gear), then there should be a general amps sub-forum in addition to the PRS amps sub-forum. This sub-forum is supposed to be the place to discuss PRS amps.

Mark....Hans is a moderator. I would make the tacit assumption that you have been given virtually carte-blanch to discuss competitor's models and non-PRS related gear information. Mods....employees...please correct me if I'm out of line.

After all..anything stated officially that will result in increased posts from Mark is only going to increase our gear IQ in the final analysis.

That being said...I do agree that adding a few sections to this forum would be a great idea. Gives the members added incentive to discuss related issues.

If the mods and PRS management feel that discussing non-PRS gear on the forum is okay (versus threads where non-PRS gear is compared to PRS gear), then there should be a general amps sub-forum in addition to the PRS amps sub-forum.

Thank you for your input.

This sub-forum is supposed to be the place to discuss PRS amps.
True. But the OP's question was really more of a request for comparative analysis and worthy of a thoughtful response. Telling him his question was "dumb" for posting in this area was a bit harsh.

Yes, the "intent" of this forum is certainly focused on PRS and PRS products, but community is also at the heart of things. I agree that there should be some degree of courtesy, as you put it, but to require everyone to be so binary, so linear, in their thought process leaves little room to be a real person.

There is a balance to all of this and there isn't always a hard-line or strict formula. If you want to talk about the finer points of the new hand-wired AC15, this probably isn't the forum. But if you want to discuss how that amp compares with the PRS line up (CAD or production), then bring it up. No one should be afraid to ask the question either way. Let's not sell fear or ask people to walk on rice paper. That's a chumps game.

Last edited:
This forum started out as a home for refugees from the Bird and Moons (BaM) forum, which was an outgrowth of the old non-affiliated PRS Forum. BaM was the premier independent forum for PRS gear fanatics. As an independent forum, BaM was a more full-service gear site, which is why you see all of the bellyaching about not having things such as a "classifieds" area on this site. Many of us are still getting used to the different rules.

Sorry, but you're incorrect. This forum was in the works long before BaM went down. It's origin was not due to BaM crashing...

Jamie

Sorry, but you're incorrect. This forum was in the works long before BaM went down. It's origin was not due to BaM crashing...

However, it would have never gotten off of the ground if had to compete with BaM.

Jamie

However, it would have never gotten off of the ground if had to compete with BaM.

Well, you're both kind of right. We'd always toyed around with the idea that we could have our own forum, but didn't see a real compelling reason. When BAM went down, we thought it sucked that such a great community didn't have a central place to keep the conversation going. That got the ball rolling fast.

BUT, we we've never been under an illusion that we'd be a BAM replacement. Obviously, there are a bunch of things we have to think about that an independent forum doesn't have to (and vice versa).

and like the moderators said...threads like this are fine. We're not trying to be sticklers...just trying to walk line and learn as we go.

You are welcome to your opinion as well.
Cool!

However, this place is definitely not a general PRS community forum
I don't even know how to respond to that. Have you read the title of the website?

-- it's a PRS-supported forum that is focused on sharing information about PRS gear.
Ok... now we're back on track.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the forum having that focus,
I'm glad you approve.

but it's a far cry from being a general PRS community forum like BaM.
True, this is not BaM. Haw "far" it is - regardless of the crying - is not what we're discussing. How did we get from you admonishing a member for discussing a Vox amp to the deltas between BaM and the Offical PRS Forum?

Why we're having this discussion: A member asked a valid question. You b!tch-slapped him for bringing up a non-PRS product when the people who moderate the forum are okay with it. Now you're trying to argue that we're too parochial? That we aren't a "General PRS community" that allows people to mention non-PRS products? Do you see the irony in your argument at all?

PRS owners on BaM were free to discuss non-PRS guitars and gear without ever mentioning PRS. They could also buy and sell PRS and non-PRS gear. It was a one-stop home for PRS gear fanatics who also owned and liked to discuss non-PRS gear.
Start a new thread for that issue. It's off topic.

Last edited:
]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;30162 said:
True. But the OP's question was really more of a request for comparative analysis and worthy of a thoughtful response. Telling him his question was "dumb" for posting in this area was a bit harsh.

Yes, the "intent" of this forum is certainly focused on PRS and PRS products, but community is also at the heart of things. I agree that there should be some degree of courtesy, as you put it, but to require everyone to be so binary, so linear, in their thought process leaves little room to be a real person.

There is a balance to all of this and there isn't always a hard-line or strict formula. If you want to talk about the finer points of the new hand-wired AC15, this probably isn't the forum. But if you want to discuss how that amp compares with the PRS line up (CAD or production), then bring it up. No one should be afraid to ask the question either way. Let's not sell fear or ask people to walk on rice paper. That's a chumps game.

I agree with everything you said. However, the OP did not inquire as to how any of the Vox amps that he mentioned compared to a PRS amp. He merely asked for a comparative analysis of products that have nothing to do with PRS in a sub-form with the description "Discuss PRS Amplifiers, CAD Amplifiers and PRS SE Amplifiers."

As I mentioned earlier, if those types of questions are okay with the mods and PRS management, then there needs to be general amps sub-forum (or the sub-forum description needs to be changed). There also needs to be a general guitars sub-forum for people who like PRS amps, but prefer guitars that are manufactured by other companies.

In the end, no one should feel like they to have to walk on rice paper. However, all manufacturer-supported forums come with a large roll of the stuff. That's why I refrain from discussing any non-PRS gear unless it's in the context of a comparative analysis with a piece of PRS of gear.

Back