I have a question about Piezo systems.

Cem

Hello fellow PRS owners;
I'm new to the forum and saluting you all.

I'm a PRS 25th anniversary SwampAshSpecial owner; and I love it very much.

But lately, I've been fallen for Piezo system in electric guitar. And actually I nearly am gonna buy a guitar in order to use piezo on stage with mixing the usual pickup cleans and even some crunchy drive tones.

And today I've found out that PRS has p22 trem guitar, which has Tremolo + Piezo together, the exact system that I've been looking for.

I checked the back plate design and crossmatched it with my SAS guitar, they didn't seem so different.

The real question starts here for whom who doesn't want to read a long ****
Is it possible to load the piezo system of P22 Trem model to my SAS guitar? I can get rid off the Tone knob on my guitar and make it Piezos volume/mix in order not to drill the guitar's top for another knob, and I put on a little hole for the little toggle switch, also jack plate needs a little bit bigger hole to get a dual output and the battery in there. As an engineer, I think it is doable, but how about your opinions guys?

Please enlighten me about it. I don't wanna play another guitar just to get the piezo sound.

Regards.

Cem.

You'd have to get a lot of work done to it, I believe... I think that there is a hollowed out portion near the bridge for the Piezo. There are a few videos on YouTube that show the difference between the Piezo on the Hollowbody and the Piezo on the P22.

I'm sure someone here knows A LOT more than I do... It's a great idea to retro fit a Piezo into a beloved guitar, however, it's a pretty big risk.

You'd have to get a lot of work done to it, I believe... I think that there is a hollowed out portion near the bridge for the Piezo. There are a few videos on YouTube that show the difference between the Piezo on the Hollowbody and the Piezo on the P22.

I'm sure someone here knows A LOT more than I do... It's a great idea to retro fit a Piezo into a beloved guitar, however, it's a pretty big risk.

I agree about "risk" part if the guitar shapes weren't nearly same, if u check out back side of both guitars, even electronic back plate is nearly same area big, only a little bigger on the PE22. And as it seems, the bridge system totally looks same about the "fitting" stuff. The electronic connection between bridge and knobs is something I don't have any idea about, yet.

I'm open to every little suggestion about this.

And there is a master guitar builder here which I can %150 trust about doing any procedure on my guitar. ( I live in europe, can't send the guitar to PRS factory even if they accept doing that for me when it's paid)

If it can be done, I think the PTC would be the ones to ask and have do it. Also I think a few guys here have put the Graphtech ghost systems on their PRS, the tone isn't as good as the LR Baggs system that the p22 has but still sounds pretty good, and that one doesn't require too much modding other than the wiring.

Edit: Oops, sorry, didn't see that you're overseas!

Actually I don't wanna get something not original for my beloved guitar. I would go for another mid-High end guitar instead of getting some graphtech for my PRS.

I'm 100% with you on the joys of a piezo loaded electric guitars, I have had several US Parkers and still have a rare Southern Nitefly. I love them to bits. I have to agree with other members in that it is pretty major surgery to fit properly as an aftermarket add-on and, if it matters, it will de-value your guitar. Most systems have a circuit board attached to the piezo volume control and a mini switch to select mags/both/piezo, you will have to check carefully that these will fit into the control cavity along with the 9v battery. I personally wouldn't do the alterations. The P22s are pretty expensive, but they are designed and built to do the job. One is definitely on my shopping list.

I'm 100% with you on the joys of a piezo loaded electric guitars, I have had several US Parkers and still have a rare Southern Nitefly. I love them to bits. I have to agree with other members in that it is pretty major surgery to fit properly as an aftermarket add-on and, if it matters, it will de-value your guitar. Most systems have a circuit board attached to the piezo volume control and a mini switch to select mags/both/piezo, you will have to check carefully that these will fit into the control cavity along with the 9v battery. I personally wouldn't do the alterations. The P22s are pretty expensive, but they are designed and built to do the job. One is definitely on my shopping list.

You are freakingly very very right about every little thing you've said.

But, the fact is, adding that piezo option to this guitar, could get my guitar needs to a real end. I don't even care if it takes it down it's price to $100, if it doesnt do any harm, and works properly, I'm not planning to sell this guitar of mine :)

And you pointed out a real deal business with, if battery fits or not part, I totally am digging it on the exact moment. Will come up with an explanation if that is possible in some way :)

Actually I don't wanna get something not original for my beloved guitar. I would go for another mid-High end guitar instead of getting some graphtech for my PRS.
It's probably your safest and best bet to just find a guitar with it in there already. I too would love one of my guitars modded but I won't settle for the graphtech either.

It's probably your safest and best bet to just find a guitar with it in there already. I too would love one of my guitars modded but I won't settle for the graphtech either.

Digging whatever I can here. If I can't get it done I think I will go for a Musicman JP model.

How can I get the certain answer for my question? Anybody?

You could email Shawn and ask directly. I have asked about another guitar - long story short in the case I asked about ( which may not apply to the SAS) is there is a route done on the guitar for the Piezo that can't be done later. So in my case it was a "No".

Two things to consider - the expence of the Piezo, the Mods and a refinish would likely push you close to the cost of JUST BUYING A P22 outright.
Second - routing for the PIEZO could change the tone of your beloved SAS - maybe, maybe not.

I'd just buy a P22. ;)

Nothing wrong with the Graph Tech system at all. It sounds incredible.
I've had it in lots of guitars including my current CE24 and I'll be installing one in an incoming CE22.

I installed the Graphtech Ghost system as an experiment on a $200 Agile LP copy and loved it! As always, the piezo sounds best through a PA or other FRFR system, especially with a dedicated acoustic processor such as a Yamaha AG Stomp or Zoom acoustic pedal. The only real issue I had was string grounding. The Agile grounds the strings through the bridge posts, but since the Graphtech saddles are non-conductive, that effectively broke the electrical connection to the strings, hence no string ground. The only solution I could come up with was to run a very short (about an inch) wire from the nearest volume pot to the tailpiece stud. This wouldn't be an issue on a PRS with a wrap-around combo bridge/tailpiece, but it does point out that you never know what unexpected issue might pop up. Personally, with a nice guitar like a PRS, I would defer to an expert who has done this before (specifically with a PRS) or I would just opt for a PRS with the piezo built-in. That's why I bought an HBII.

Back