I am new to the forum and looking for some insight.

south89

I have a couple things going on right now . First I am trying to decide between buying another signature limited in charcoal burst or a SC58 . I already have one signature limited in fire red burst and absolutely love this guitar. SC58 is in a black slate smokeburst with the 57/08 pickups so I guess I'm looking for opinions on the two differant pickups and their tone.

Second, I have a 1994 McCarty and looking to find out any info on guitar and maybe what a value on something like that might be.

The SC58 is a completely different animal to the Siggy - scale length, pickups, split coils etc. Do you prefer pizza or line dancing?

I understand that there is a lot of differances as far as scale length and splitting coils and so on . I guess I should have been more clear ( appologies ). Based on just a humbucker mode just wondering differances between the 57/08s and the 408 system. To me the 408's seem to cut through more as compared to say the 53/10's that are on the modern eagle quatro or dragon II's on the older customs. 408's seem to "shine" I guess you could say with a little more definition to the highs. Just curious about the 57/08's and looking for opinions from anybody with those pickups as I do not yet have

I have 57/08s in a PS SC245, so I can't really give an exact comparison due to the massive differences in guitar specs.

You need someone who has 57/08s in a McCarty and also owns a stoptail Siggy to chime in (or has both guitars in trem form). From my experience, with all else being equal, the 57/08s will push the amp a little less and be more open sounding. To put it really simplistically:

57/08s = blues
408s = rock

The 59/09 bridge sits somewhere between the two, and the 59/09 neck is more of a stratty neck pickup compared to the creaminess of a 57/08.

Last edited:
First I am trying to decide between buying another signature limited in charcoal burst or a SC58.
I guess I don't see the benefit in comparing the two guitars. There is an easier approach to this problem (from my perspective).

Why duplicate guitars (by purchasing another Sig LTD) unless you're a touring musician and you need an immediate backup of the exact same guitar/tone? These two models are different, yes, but not so different that more than 1 out of 1000 people in a local club (or arena) would be able to tell the difference; especially in a live mix. If you know how to shape your tone with the volume, tone knob, and coil tap/split switches, you can get these guitars close enough to match for a live setting.

Buy the SC58.

Last edited:
Thanks Hans and Twinfan for your insight and opinions. Hans I totally understand where you are coming from but for me personally My PRS guitars are not only about the tone but their looks and I think I made my purchase of the 1st siggy too fast and the charcoal burst is my favorite finish. I think I have made my decision and who knows there might be a fire red burst siggy for sale sometime soon.

I have a private stock with 57/08s and a sig. limited. 408s compared to 57/08s is like a fine stereo amp compared to a mono amp! good tone but narrow freq. range. I love em both, but the 408s are the new prs vs the old prs with the 57/08s. Both guits have tone to go!!!! CHOICES, CHOICES, CHOICES!!!!!! ARRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I haven't had a chance to make some music through the 408s for myself and I'm curious because of the way they are being described. For example, describing the 57/08 as more of a blues tone as compared to the 408. So can a couple of the Sig LTD guys chime in and run down exactly where you'd place the 408s in the spectrum of other PRS pickups (e.g. as compared to HFS/VB, Dragon I, ect.). Don't mean to hijack this thread but I think it's relevant to south89's orginal post.

Me Myself I have a siggy , a modern eagle quatro and a couple custom 22's with dragon II's. I was never a fan of the dragon II pickups thats why I would replace them with emg's ( I know I know but I think emg's have a good tone for certain styles ). The modern eagle is amazing for the feel of it because of the neck mostly. The 408's in the siggy are by far the best PRS pickups that I have used but that is just my opiniion. I play more modern rock music in a cover band so emg's suited me well but once I played the siggy with my band I haven't put it down yet . The 408's for me seem to cut through the mix and stand out more plus the switching system is just very versatile. I love the siggy so much that a charcoal burst siggy should be in my hands in a couple days.

Second, I have a 1994 McCarty and looking to find out any info on guitar and maybe what a value on something like that might be.

To this question...is it one of the 1st 100 signed by Ted McCarty?? that effects value, as does condition.

No it is not one of the first 100 to my knowledge that is . I am not sure where the signature would be . I am guessing it would be on the backplate. The condition is good though . I bought it back in late 90's on ebay and then contacted PRS with serial # to get some info and thats when they told me it was the first year the McCarty was made. It has stayed in the house for as long as I have owned it with no dings or scratches just the normal swirl on the back. I'm new to the site so I am still trying to figure out how to get pics uploaded.

I have 2 Siggy's. 1 stoptail & 1 trem. I originally did this purely as a test to see/hear the difference between the two. They do sound a bit different. I've done several demo videos trying to illustrate this. Still not sure which one I like best. I also own a 58 Stripper. I liked the 57/08's but in the end. I decided I wanted a little stronger low end while retaining the PAF chime the 57/08's have. I settled on a set of DSG 55's. I may sell one of my Siggy's ( not willingly) but I will always keep my Stripper & a Siggy. 2 amazing guitars.
I vote to get the 58 and experiment with pups if you are not completely happy.

For the second time today, I am finding myself saying "I am with Hans". Regardless, go with the SC58.

The 57/08s are the best PAF style pickup out there, if you ask me. And this tone wont overlap your Siggy.

Viva la difference! Viva la PRS!

Back