I almost broke not one but two PRS guitars

Sounds like you're ready to start doing your own re-frets. I would suggest you consume an entire bottle of tequila before you begin.

Hell to the No

Lol

All pickup ring swaparoos are going straight to the luthier from here on out. I cant deal with evil springs. I just cant.

I only just learned how to restring my guitar one month ago (by the way, my string ups look AWFUL, lol... I get confused about getting the turn to go 'under' vs 'over' so all of mine end up 'over')

Hey, but I havent had a string to break.

Hell to the No

Lol

All pickup ring swaparoos are going straight to the luthier from here on out. I cant deal with evil springs. I just cant.

I only just learned how to restring my guitar one month ago (by the way, my string ups look AWFUL, lol... I get confused about getting the turn to go 'under' vs 'over' so all of mine end up 'over')

Hey, but I havent had a string to break.

Locking tuners on everything! Rule of law for the lazy among us!

Well done, and that is a beautiful guitar!

The best thing I ever did was take a guitar completely apart to its component parts and put it back together and set it up. It really demystifies the thing and makes all the little tweaks seem like no big deal. Guitars today are so well-machined that there is really no slop in them. They go right back together. Unless you take off a set neck. Then you may have gone too far...

Good tech tips (warning, competitor brand dealer, but a really great guy)
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Locking tuners on everything! Rule of law for the lazy among us!

I think all of my guitars, except the Korina McCarty, have locking tuners, but when I have the tech restring them, the strings are still turned under and twisted under the lock... Can I just put the string through and clamp it down? Cause that would be awesome.

I think all of my guitars, except the Korina McCarty, have locking tuners, but when I have the tech restring them, the strings are still turned under and twisted under the lock... Can I just put the string through and clamp it down? Cause that would be awesome.

Yep. Pull it through, tighten the thumb screw finger tight, give it another quarter turn with a quarter, snip, tune, done!

Besides making it easier, putting the strings straight thru your locking tuners make them less likely to going out of tune... especially if your using the trem, since there is nothing to slip to a different position on the tuner post :)

Just a follow-up regarding the locking tuners. The finger tight and quarter turn advice from Bodia was spot on.

Wanted to relate a story from a recently purchased, custom Private Stock. I was playing it for the first time, and the high E snapped at the tuner. I'm not much of an animal, and this is only the second string I've ever snapped. (The first time was when I bent the high E off the board it it cut on the fret end.) I was actually shocked. Went to unlock the tuner to replace the string, and I could NOT get it to turn. I fought with that d*mn thing for quite a while before it would finally unlock. I suppose this explains the broken string. Very surprised this would come from the Private Stock team. Not a big deal, and I know these things happen, but still a surprise.

Anyways, just a note to tighten, but not OVERLY tighten the locking tuner!

Kevin

I may have yelled something like 'SQUISH DOWN YOU LITTLE MOFO!'

Repeatedly.

The guitar looks great! But the best part of all this is imagining what your neighbors were thinking was going on when they heard this. I had a couple hilarious ones as soon as I read this. :)

The guitar looks great! But the best part of all this is imagining what your neighbors were thinking was going on when they heard this. I had a couple hilarious ones as soon as I read this. :)

Lol. I know.

I almost want to walk over and tell them that 'Everyone is OK... Nobody got hurt... The little mofo was a spring...'

My neighbors probably think I'm insane. You know its bad when you start yelling at the lil innocent springs.

I may have yelled something like 'SQUISH DOWN YOU LITTLE MOFO!'

Repeatedly.

:mad:

I'm 5'10'' and these tiny 1.5 inch springs kicked my @ss for hours last night.

I have so been through that! I think I posted a "HTH do y'all do this?" thread and even Shawn couldn't help me. I won the battle, but it was a long, sweaty, profane struggle...

Back