HXDA question

No danger of it selling any time soon. Mine is the highest priced HXDA on Reverb. hahaha There are many to choose from.

I de-listed the amp on Reverb because I think there may be something wrong with it, which would explain why I wasn't thrilled with the low end tone I am getting. Instead, I contacted the PTC about it so that hopefully they can check it out and tell me if it is supposed to sound that way. I never thought of doing that before because we know that they deliberately re-manufactured the imperfections into the cenemag transformers which were present in the original amps this is modeled after. So, all along I thought it was supposed to sound like that. (Overly muddy low end.) I"ll let you know what they say.

Incidentally, I've tried 3 different sets of output tubes in my HXDA; the stock Winged Cs, JJs, and NOS Siemens. The differences aren't gigantic, but of the three sets, JJs had the least controlled low end, and Siemens the tightest. Siemens were tops for clarity, with JJs being warmest and a bit cloudy.

The Winged Cs were overall better sounding to me than JJs, and Siemens seem to have the most balance and clarity.

I think what comes before getting an HXDA (besides lack of money) is getting a new loadbox. I have an older Koch loadbox. It's not bad, but it does cut highs as you go lower. Some newer ones on the market will let you add those highs back it the signal. The problem with master volumes is it's mostly preamp distortion not output tube distortion.

The problem with master volumes is it's mostly preamp distortion not output tube distortion.

Don't forget that the element of speaker distortion is very significant. With output tubes, the distortion is more of a saturation thing than a grind thing, but loudspeaker distortion completes the picture.

In any case, with a load box, you don't get nearly the speaker distortion. Unfortunately, there's no perfect substitute for volume when it comes to a great Marshall style amp tone. It's a matter of picking your poison.

My current HXDA is 30 watts; it's great for recording because I can involve the power tubes a little sooner than with my former 50 watt. A little sooner; just a few db. I also ran it with a 1x12 cab at first, on the theory that I'd get the speaker cooking a bit more, but I missed the swirl of a 2x12, so I switched.

I de-listed the amp on Reverb because I think there may be something wrong with it, which would explain why I wasn't thrilled with the low end tone I am getting. Instead, I contacted the PTC about it so that hopefully they can check it out and tell me if it is supposed to sound that way. I never thought of doing that before because we know that they deliberately re-manufactured the imperfections into the cenemag transformers which were present in the original amps this is modeled after. So, all along I thought it was supposed to sound like that. (Overly muddy low end.) I"ll let you know what they say.

Wound up getting a much better tone by cranking the crap out of both gain knobs on the left. Almost diming them and then adjusting the entire tone stack to about 2 oclock and going Jimi-Jimi-Jimi on the mini switches. Not a warranty repair issue but I'm still going to let it go in favor of my two other PRS amps.

Wound up getting a much better tone by cranking the crap out of both gain knobs on the left. Almost diming them and then adjusting the entire tone stack to about 2 oclock and going Jimi-Jimi-Jimi on the mini switches. Not a warranty repair issue but I'm still going to let it go in favor of my two other PRS amps.

just curious, was yours a 50w or a 30w? combo or head?

My 30w has the G12H30 speakers and I think it makes a world of difference over the V30's. Not saying anything wrong with the V30's, but if they're not your bag, the G12H30's move very much in the other direction, less prominent upper mids and more lower mids. Also to me, they have much more of an open feel.

My 30w has the G12H30 speakers and I think it makes a world of difference over the V30's. Not saying anything wrong with the V30's, but if they're not your bag, the G12H30's move very much in the other direction, less prominent upper mids and more lower mids. Also to me, they have much more of an open feel.

I think folks often underestimate the importance of speakers. They're a big part of the tone equation.

I think folks often underestimate the importance of speakers. They're a big part of the tone equation.

I have to agree. I really disliked the V30 in my HXDA combo. Dropped a Scumback in it and it was perfect, for my tastes anyway. I hope the good Dr. is enjoying it now!

I have to agree. I really disliked the V30 in my HXDA combo. Dropped a Scumback in it and it was perfect, for my tastes anyway. I hope the good Dr. is enjoying it now!

Oh...he is!!!

Thinking about giving a listen with the V30 for comparison's sake...for my own ears anyway. One of these days when there isn't anything more pressing on the docket for the day...:oops:

50w head. I thought about changing speakers so I did try another one of my cabinets. The first cabinet was a well worn in Marshall 1960B which has had many amps sit on it and it has always sounded great. The other cabinet is a new MESA 2x12 upright cabinet with Mesa V30's. While there may have been subtle differences between the cabinets, that would not have been anywhere near enough to overcome the problem I was having. At one point while I was making a troubleshooting video for the PRS technician to see. Not only was the mud horribly bad but I couldn't get the amp any louder than I could yell. I was using the settings that Les had written down here as my base line and then started making changes way beyond my comfort level. Cranking the crap out of both gain knobs and raising the master volume dial made a huge difference. The problem seems to have been user error as I have never owned a Plexi and wouldn't know what to do with one if I had one. The art of dialing in desired tone on the HXDA is just different than it is on the all other amps I have ever owned. All a moot point now as the amp has a new home and I'm keeping my other amps which include a PRS Dallas and an Archon.

Not only was the mud horribly bad but I couldn't get the amp any louder than I could yell.

I'm pretty sure that something was wrong if that's the case, since my 50 Watt could've filled a stadium with volume!

Also it wasn't muddy, and I never had to crank the gain like that. In fact, it's bright enough that I turn the treble down to 3.

It probably needed new tubes.

Back