HXDA question

Clashcityrocker

Curve Denier
I noticed on the early HXDA and 25th anniversary amps they had a wattage knob to lower the volume. I didn't notice it on the new ones. I can use a power soak but it would be nice to have an onboard way to control the output.

I have an early 25th anniversary amp, not as nice as you think to have the built-in atinuator, hot plate after amp would be easier to control, fwiw...

I find the master volume to perform very well with my 30w 2X12. I do use a Fryette PS sometimes with it as well, and the two get along very well.

I've had both the 50 and the 30 (I got the 30 just to try it, and I love it, but I wish I'd also kept the 50 because it's a little more "everything is gonna bust loose" than the 30), and they have superb master volumes, though of course, they sound their very best when the master is up to gig levels.

The HXDA is my #1 amp.

Incidentally, I had one of the early 50s, and it came with a standard master volume. I know there were some prototypes floating around with the 25th Anniversary attenuator, in fact Tim Pierce has one, but I didn't know any production models had them.

All 25th Anniversary models had the notched attenuator. The first HX/DAs were modded Anniversary models, which is why some HXDAs have the attenuator. The master volume is an improvement, imo, because the attenuator only had minimal effect on SPL and did impact tone...like nearly all attenuators.

It would be nice if PRS would put a good direct out so you could get that tone at a reasonable level. A couple other manufacturers have done that and I heard they are pretty good. We all can't play the Fillmore East. :p

Do you really need both of those kidneys Les? (Hopefully you still have both of them and I didn't stick my keyboard in my mouth....)

I wish you'd buy MY 50. hahahaha
If you are still looking to unload it later this year, drop me a line...

(I have zero funds for new toys, especially with some house repairs/upgrades needed in near term...)

But eventually I will get myself an HXDA!

Do you really need both of those kidneys Les? (Hopefully you still have both of them and I didn't stick my keyboard in my mouth....)

I don't need them at all! To hell with the damn things!

And mine are Vintage kidneys that don't need to be relic'd. What are vintage/old guy kidneys going for on today's kidney market?

5670.jpg

I love this...

If you are still looking to unload it later this year, drop me a line...

(I have zero funds for new toys, especially with some house repairs/upgrades needed in near term...)

But eventually I will get myself an HXDA!

No danger of it selling any time soon. Mine is the highest priced HXDA on Reverb. hahaha There are many to choose from.

With all this discussion about this amp, I thought I'd check out those listings at that "R" website. Two(2) of the three(3) heads that have specifications listed have cut and pasted the WRONG number of Pre-Amp tubes directly from the HXDA PRS product page. And the product page is WRONG there are NOT SIX(6) 12AX7's...only three(3). How do I know?...I'm looking at mine right as I type this comment. See for yourself. Will anyone that has the authority from PRS that reads this, will they correct the product page? And while they are at it, please publish an owners manual for the amp?(there's always hope...)

Last edited:
Back