HXDA paisley search

I was at the factory when Doug was fitting the amp into the first of these cabinets. I have #12.
I have a very special one that's unlike any other MDT, from back when they still had the CAD shop (custom amp design or something). It's a 4x10 combo and had a gain boost switch added that customer service called an HXDA switch. It was on consignment from someone famous who had too many amps. Pictures:

https://reverb.com/item/513558-prs-...x10-amp-4-of-12-2011-paisley-burnt-gold-maple

It's actually kind of broken right now -- I have a matching 4x10 cab, so it was basically an 8x10 stack, and because the panel went face-up, I had the amp on the top, and my cats knocked it over. The jack broke, and I haven't had a chance to take it to the shop to get it fixed, so I don't know what else is wrong with it, but I'm thinking it's just the jack. I should take it to the PTC.

Just trying to help a couple of brothers out. I hate when ships pass in the night.

Ha, you and Sergio are the master enablers! A title that, while we joke about it, is earned by how many of us here you two have helped find the gear we love! And yes, the gentle nudges and uplifting encouragement that follow! :)

Ha, you and Sergio are the master enablers! A title that, while we joke about it, is earned by how many of us here you two have helped find the gear we love! And yes, the gentle nudges and uplifting encouragement that follow! :)

Aw shucks......I am but the grasshopper hoping to learn from the master.

Although, I do like saying, " I told you so!" :D

It’s fun to play through an HXDA
And that’s why I played mine today!

And uh...the Village People did not show up. My costume went unappreciated.

I have a very special one that's unlike any other MDT, from back when they still had the CAD shop (custom amp design or something). It's a 4x10 combo and had a gain boost switch added that customer service called an HXDA switch. It was on consignment from someone famous who had too many amps. Pictures:

https://reverb.com/item/513558-prs-...x10-amp-4-of-12-2011-paisley-burnt-gold-maple

It's actually kind of broken right now -- I have a matching 4x10 cab, so it was basically an 8x10 stack, and because the panel went face-up, I had the amp on the top, and my cats knocked it over. The jack broke, and I haven't had a chance to take it to the shop to get it fixed, so I don't know what else is wrong with it, but I'm thinking it's just the jack. I should take it to the PTC.
That is so awesome! And, I remembered the story about the cats and the amp falling over and breaking the jack. Just didn’t remember that it was an MDT amp in that story. And, a paisley one! SUPER cool!!!

Edit: And you wonder why I don't like cats! ha

Last edited by a moderator:
Just ask the Village People...

Young man, there’s an amp you can buy,
I said young man, it will let the notes fly
Get one, and I’m sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time!

It’s fun to play through
An HXDA
It’s fun to play through
An HXDA!

You can play right at home, you’ll have tone to the bone,
There is joy and playing happy!

Young man, if you crank it up loud
I said young man, then the band will be proud,
Young man, yes your tone will be strong
You will want to play real long!

It’s fun to play through
An HXDA
It’s fun to play through
An HXDA!

After you get it, I’ll have to come up with a rendition of ‘We Are Family’...
Bit late to the congratulations-party, but Les, this is awesome!

Now I can't get that song outta my head, though...

I looked great in that ballerina costume, too. I guess you’ll have to take my word for it.

Actually, it’s probably good for you that you have to take my word for it. ;)

Nope - took care of it for you.

man_in_the_tutu_2_by_fairiegoodmother-d3noj6q.jpg

Getting back to the OP...

My HXDA 30w 1x12 combo in paisley is awesome! Highly recommend this amp to get those classic M________ tones of Messrs HX and DA. I had no idea what I was missing until I got one.

I had no idea what I was missing until I got one.

(Choir of Angels sing, holding their last note, followed by massive power chord as the vocal fades out)

Lift up your heads, O ye gates, and be ye lifted up, ye everlasting doors; that the King of Tone may enter!

—Psalm 5,278:2 from Les’ Bible Of Tone And Other Stuff Related To The HXDA (Les is also the author of the Book of Pedalboards, a one sentence book)

I know I’ve asked this question before, and I know people have answered it before. But I saw the PRS description of this amp and still wonder about it. It says something like Classic 60s and early 70s type tones. I “think” it has more gain than an early 70s M. More like late 70s if I’m correct.

I tried to trade for one the other day, but didn’t get a deal made.

I know I’ve asked this question before, and I know people have answered it before. But I saw the PRS description of this amp and still wonder about it. It says something like Classic 60s and early 70s type tones. I “think” it has more gain than an early 70s M. More like late 70s if I’m correct.

My impression was squarely in the AC/DC camp, at max gain.

No, actually more like late 60s, early 70s, exactly as described by PRS.

It is considerably less compressed and less grindy than late 70s Marshalls. The amount of compression is more the difference vs. how much gain can be derived from the gain controls vs master volume.

If you were to dime the master volume and use the gain controls old-school, as volume controls, you’d see that it’s a very precise late 60s/early 70s thing.

I never liked Marshalls after they discontinued the original Plexis. But I love my HXDA. What does that tell you?

Back