Humidification with Mike Byle

What a great idea! I keep my guitars in cases in a humidified room, but it rarely gets over 40% when it's really cold and dry. But I've never liked the leaky stuff that most guitar humidification systems require.

I'm going to try this. Seems like a perfectly reasonable addition to the guitar care arsenal! Thanks for posting this!

You are welcome.
My guitars are mostly cased until the weekend when I get a few out.
Not really worried about the electrics, but more so with my new Angelus.
The product will show up Saturday.

I've used those packs for calibrating hygrometers. They are really popular in the cigar circles.

I bought two sets. One complete set for my acoustic, and I figured I'd set one pack into the other two pouches and try them with my electric guitars near the neck and headstock.

So they're in.

I have also been using a room humidifier, so these may be overkill, but the good news is that they can't over-wet a guitar because of their chemistry, so there's no downside that I can tell.

After 24 hours, I even did a sniff test to see if there are any funny odors as a result of having them in the cases, and there aren't. I'm going to go sniff some other things now, just because. ;)

My living room as I type this at 12:33 am is 50 humidity with 70°.
Yesterday afternoon it was around 46.

Have not put the kit into my case yet, but I was checking it out and reading the info on it.
My living room seems to stay most of the time in the desired zone of between 45 and 50 humidity.

My living room as I type this at 12:33 am is 50 humidity with 70°.
Yesterday afternoon it was around 46.

Have not put the kit into my case yet, but I was checking it out and reading the info on it.
My living room seems to stay most of the time in the desired zone of between 45 and 50 humidity.

Consider yourself lucky! In Michigan, if I didn't humidify my room, it would be about 25% RH. For reference, the Sahara desert's RH is about 26%.

That's dry enough to crack the top on a guitar and I had it happen back in the day on a very nice Martin. Never again.

I saw this video also...cool looking product! Will be picking one up next time I'm in the neighborhood of the local GC...

I'm amazed that he didn't recommend the system that's used with Ameritage cases since all core acoustics are shipped in them.

I'm amazed that he didn't recommend the system that's used with Ameritage cases since all core acoustics are shipped in them.

But they're not shipped with the Ameritage humidification system.

Frankly, this is a better system.

well the humidipak setups are much much much more compact and one pack does both raise and lower humidity. You don't need to monitor it and swap things out, nothing needs to be wetted, ect.

In what way?

EDIT: I was writing this when DHW posted, he of course said the same thing more compactly!

In several ways:

1. The Ameritage system uses an old fashioned plaster of paris plug that one wets, and it sits in a plastic box that you put in the compartment in the Ameritage case wet to add humidity. These have been around at the very least since I was a little kid (and I am OLD). In the old days, players stuck them in the accessory compartment of the case, and held the accessory compartment open by sticking something in the compartment door to prevent it from fully closing. In the Ameritage case system, it simply sits near the headstock.

2. The plaster of paris plug's release of moisture is confined to the part of the case you put the plastic box in. Since it isn't put near the body of the guitar by design, it doesn't humidify the body of the guitar. Simply put, there isn't enough room in a guitar case to circulate the humidity to that part of the guitar, because the top of the case, the padding and lining sit against the guitar top and interfere with that.

In fact, the types of humidifiers where you'd wet a sponge that sits inside a rubber tube, or wet a sponge that sits on the strings over the sound hole, were designed to solve that very problem. The Ameritage system doesn't address that at all.

The Planet Waves system puts separate humidifiers inside the guitar and in a cloth bag near the headstock to address both areas of the guitar. It still can't do all that much for the neck, unless the case has enough air space.

3. The plaster plug in a box with holes in it is a solution that can leak, and simply releases moisture regardless of the RH in the room. In other words, it releases moisture, period. It doesn't regulate it. Some days it needs to be wet, and some days not, but it requires daily checking, then re-wetting or removal from the case.

4. The Planet Waves system maintains the same humidity no matter what by chemical action, and it's going to be 45-50% RH regardless of conditions outside the case, every day, until it hardens, which takes a couple of months. So the case only needs to be checked periodically. That's because not only is the design a hell of a lot more space-age, the packet is also capable of absorbing moisture.

5. Hygrometers - even digital ones - need to be calibrated in order to be accurate. This is done by putting them in a plastic bag of salt, sealing the bag until they are in a completely dry environment, and then going through a recalibration procedure. Having familiarized myself with this process, I can honestly say that it's a complete pain in the rear. The Ameritage system uses a little inexpensive digital hygrometer that will only give you a rough idea of the RH in one part of the case,

6. The Planet Waves system is so bonehead simple, and so maintenance free, that no one can think it's a pain. There is no daily checking. There is no soaking a plaster plug in the sink every day until it absorbs water. There is no worry about over or under-humidification. You put the three bags into the pouches, and you stick one in the case, and drape one over the strings of the guitar inside the sound hole. No leaking. No musty smell. No issues whatsoever. It's really amazing.

7. The PW system actually works! Unlike the others I've tried, from the plaster plugs in a box, to sound hole humidifiers, to room humidification, to every other PITA product, it's obvious that the guitar returns to its factory form after a couple of days, you can literally see it.

Do what you like, of course, but my guitars will never be without this product again. It's brilliant. I even use it in my electric guitar cases to keep the fingerboards and necks from getting too dry (I stick one packet inside the case near the neck or headstock). The beauty is that it also keeps the guitars from becoming too wet. Genius!

Thank you CoreyT for bringing this to my attention!!

Last edited:
My first experience with the humdipaks was via a cigar shop. I bought a hygrometer for an incubator that could be calibrated and the store owner gave me a 75% humidipak to calibrate it... Awesome little product. They have been using them for cigars for years now and have proven themselves. I wondered at the time whey they didn't have them for guitars... Guess I missed my golden ticket on that one!

Back